Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Frequent Contributor
JoeCA
0 Kudos

Re: Barnes & Noble May Sell Company -- huh?

passthepeas wrote:

@ TXAnnie

This is the camp I fall into.  I was about 95% ready to purchase a nook, now I am down to about 80%.  While I agree this may just be rumors and I appericate Michael's comments above,  I do have a fear in the back of my mind that B&N may be sold and the new buyer may not see the nook as a priority.  All that being said, I do still think I will buy a nook sometime in the next couple of weeks. :smileyhappy:

If anything, the focus is shifting even more to e-books. Selling e-books has become really big business. And people who own e-book readers tend to buy more books than before. For example, I bought more e-books in the 8 months that I have owned the nook than in the 3-4 years before.

Frequent Contributor
Dhanu

Re: Barnes & Noble May Sell Company

I have purchased ebooks prior to either the Nook or the Kindle and had asked the company what would happen if they eventually went belly-up.  They said that they would remove the DRM from previously purchased books so that they can be used.  Now these ebooks were read on blackberries, smartphones and pda's not manufactured ereaders.  That may make it a difference.  It is possible that B&N would remove the DRM from those you purchased from them but remember, you can get ebooks elsewhere to read on your Nook.  In the mean time, save your ebooks on your computer and/or place them on a cd for safe keeping if you are worried.  Things you have no control over aren't worth worrying to much about, just do what you can to protect yourselves as best as possible.

Frequent Contributor
JoeCA
0 Kudos

Dhanu wrote:

remember, you can get ebooks elsewhere to read on your Nook.

And that's one of the reasons which made me choose the nook. The nook handled books in ePub format just fine. Even books bought elsewhere. The e-reader from the competitor in Seattle doesn't.

Correspondent
TravP
0 Kudos

Microsoft pedaling an open source Android device would be too ironic; the internet might blow up. When it comes to digital content, Amazon behaves more like Microsoft than BN does. What about Google acquiring BN? :smileyhappy:

Frequent Contributor
Alley415
0 Kudos

B&N should be turning a profit due to its nook and ebooks.  But, I think offering epub is actually going to hurt them.  Many people buy nooks because they can buy ebooks from other sources.  So, B&N can't rely on ebook sales based upon nook sales.  Sure Kindle may lock you in to a certain extent but that has only helped to bolster their profit.  B&N seems to be hurt by it.  They have also had the issue with the cracked keys which I am sure is hurting their bottom line as well.

Correspondent
TravP
0 Kudos

Most BN ebooks are epub format which is not proprietary, but open. Many of them may have DRM protection though (not entirely sure how many have DRM; I think that's up to the publisher, not BN, for each ebook.) The Kindle won't read epub books not because epub is proprietary--it's not at all. Amazon just has their own proprietary format and won't recognize open formats. If there are BN ebooks that are DRM protected & BN does go under or their next owners ditch the Nook, it would be nice if BN lets those expire or sends out a work around, but i wouldn't expect it. 

Distinguished Correspondent
very-simple

This has been discussed before (waaay back) in the context of whether we could break DRM on kindle books under the DMCA, but I thought I'd throw it out here.

There is a specific exception in the DMCA that allows for the breaking of DRM in the instance where the file would be completely unusable otherwise.  

Most reasonable people agree that this does NOT apply in the situation of wanting the convenience to read a kindle book on a nook (i.e., the kindle book is readable on a variety of devices, other than the kindle, like the iphone, ipad, android devices, etc).

But in a situation where the original seller goes bankrupt/out of business and is no longer supporting the files or the software with which to read it, this most likely falls under the DMCA exception.  In addition to the fact that, in practical terms, there's no injured party to sue, since you're breaking B&N's DRM, and B&N wouldn't exist anymore.

I point this out not because I think B&N is going anywhere, but just to calm some nerves.

I also want to say a few things as a corporate attorney going on 11 years of practice...

Corporations (whether public or private) have a legal obligation to act in the best interests of shareholders.  Unfortunately, particularly in the public company context, this gets translated into acting in whatever way benefits short-term shareholder profits, regardless of long-term consequences.  It can make it very difficult to invest in long-term, game-changing projects because that can negatively affect these short-term profits, even if they would be good in the long-term.  In the past, this pressure wasn't so great, and some investors held onto stocks for their entire lives (utility companies, automotive companies, etc. used to be slow-growth but high-dividend stocks that people could use to fund their retirements.  These investors cared much less about what happened, quarter to quarter, to the stock price.  This has largely disappeared).  It's actually a shame to see long-standing companies destroy their entire business model in order to eke an additional few cents out of the stock price (sunbeam, anyone?).

To the extent that Riggio and others (who clearly believe in B&N) are going to use this as an opportunity to "take back" B&N and pull away from this pressure, I applaud them.  

Distinguished Bibliophile
ABthree

C'mon, people -- think it through!  :smileysurprised:

Even though B&N has been closedmouthed about sales, every credible estimate indicates that they've sold between 600,000 and 1,000,000 Nooks since product launch. 

That's an amazing installed base in less than a year. 

How many eBooks do you buy a month?  I must buy -- as in "pay money for", not just get free -- three of four.  Cut that in half, or even thirds, then multiply it by 600,000 to 1,000,000.  That's a lot of sales, month after month after month.

Businesspeople buy businesses for rational reasons -- usually to make money.  What rational businessperson would acquire that kind of installed base with that kind of revenue flow, in order to trash it?  That sounds silly, because it is.

All B&N is doing is evaluating strategic directions.  If they choose to sell (big "if" there), chances are that the buyer will either enhance Nook support or treat it the same.  Trashing it is so improbable that it's not worth considering -- except for a little adrenalin rush from pretend panic. :smileywink:

+LORD, preserve the good in their goodness, and+
+in your kindness, make the wicked become good.+
-- St. Basil the Great+
Frequent Contributor
Alley415
0 Kudos

The problem is that B&N hasn't turned the profit that was expected by the nook and ebooks.  Something is not connecting there. Also, your example would work but how many buy form places other than B&N?How many don't' buy any at all and utilize their libraries?  These are huge selling points for the nook but not such a good influence on their ebook sales. 

New User
KUGO
0 Kudos

All B&N has done is increase the sales for the new Kindle. 

Wordsmith
h2oskierc
0 Kudos

Alley415 wrote:

The problem is that B&N hasn't turned the profit that was expected by the nook and ebooks.  Something is not connecting there. 

Proof?

Frequent Contributor
Alley415
0 Kudos

h2oskierc wrote:

Alley415 wrote:

The problem is that B&N hasn't turned the profit that was expected by the nook and ebooks.  Something is not connecting there. 

Proof?

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/Barnes-Noble-Reports-Fiscal-bw-429207321.html?x=0

Doug_Pardee
Kudos: 4,015
0 Kudos

DMCA exemptions

[ Edited ]

very-simple wrote:

There is a specific exception in the DMCA that allows for the breaking of DRM in the instance where the file would be completely unusable otherwise.  

Please provide a citation. I'm quite sure there is no such general exception. 17 USC 1201 contains no such exemption that I can see, and the Librarian of Congress's triennial exemption list doesn't, either.

The only thing close is item 5 on the triennial exemption list, which basically says that in the case of computer programs, you can bypass the need for a dongle if there's no longer any way to get a replacement dongle. We're not talking about computer programs and we're not talking about dongles here.

Wordsmith
h2oskierc
0 Kudos

Alley415 wrote:

Funny, I don't read that anywhere in that article.
Contributor
swollen_ostrich
0 Kudos

h2oskierc wrote:

Alley415 wrote:

Funny, I don't read that anywhere in that article.

I did read this, however (which is exactly the opposite of Alley415's contention):

“We are pleased that in the fourth quarter each of our three channels of business have all gained significant share: physical bookstores, digital books and books sold online at bn.com. In fact, in just a brief 12 months since we launched the Barnes and Noble ebookstore, our share of the digital market already exceeds our share of the retail book market,” said William Lynch, chief executive officer of Barnes & Noble, Inc.

Distinguished Correspondent
very-simple
0 Kudos

Re: DMCA exemptions

Doug: Apologies. I think I'm misremembering old discussions.

Contributor
Sky1VJ
0 Kudos

I do not know if this is the right forum to post this in, but here goes!

Amazon's Kindles are temporarily sold out according to the website and news reports. I think B&N has an opportunity to take advantage of this situation. If B&N lowered the prices of both versions of their Nooks to match the price of the KIndles ($139 for WiFi only Nook, $189 for 3G and WiFi Nook), I believe people would take notice.

First of all, the later people wait to order a Kindle online, the longer they will have to wait for their Kindle to arrive. If people went to a B&N store or online and saw that the Nook is priced the same as a Kindle, if inside a bricks and mortar store, they would be able to purchase a Nook and take it home the same day, instead of waiting until Sept 4 for the Kindle to arrive at their homes. If people decide to order online, they would receive their Nooks way before Sept. 4.

Ebooks are big business and I think e-readers are going to be the most wished for item on Christmas lists this year. Someone looking to buy a e-reader as a gift for the holidays can purchase one quickly and have it wrapped and ready to place under the tree come December.

This way, people will not have to worry about the issues that occurred last year with the launch of the Nook (late arrivals, technical problems, short supply, etc).

Take advantage of this opportunity B&N! The Nook boutiques in the stores is a good start because people can try and and see the Nook and the accessories before making a decision to buy, but B&N also needs to make and air more Nook commercials, offer $20 gift cards with the purchase of a Nook this holiday season!

Just my thoughts. :smileyhappy:

Correspondent
htbyron
0 Kudos

Re: DMCA exemptions

This story today points to a dispute about poison-pill defenses and an aggressive investor (Ron Burkle) who wants to buy more stock as the basis for the discussions.  The article mentions ebooks only in passing at the end, with no suggestion that market concerns underly the discussions concerning a possible sale.  WaPo does not provide the best coverage of business news, but I thought this article was fairly succinct and gives a lucid explanation of the personalities and machinations behind the scenes.

Link:  WaPo story

Contributor
Sky1VJ
0 Kudos

Whoops! Sorry about the typo in the last paragraph (double ands). My mind is faster than my typing!

Contributor
BUBBA_HO_TEP
0 Kudos

Alley415 wrote:

B&N should be turning a profit due to its nook and ebooks.  But, I think offering epub is actually going to hurt them.  Many people buy nooks because they can buy ebooks from other sources.  So, B&N can't rely on ebook sales based upon nook sales.  Sure Kindle may lock you in to a certain extent but that has only helped to bolster their profit.  B&N seems to be hurt by it.  They have also had the issue with the cracked keys which I am sure is hurting their bottom line as well.

I agree. Their is no real incentive to buy from B&N.