Contributor
May81
0 Kudos

Re: Barnes & Noble May Sell Company

I disagree with those who think supporting ePub attributed to their downfall (if there is a downfall).

The reason why I chose the Nook was because I can buy from elsewhere.  As a consumer, I should have a choice as to which retailer I wish to buy from.

I love Amazon but I've had friends who had such difficulty just loading books from their Kindle 1s to their Kindle 2s.  It's transferring ebooks purchased from the same company as the devices.  It should not be difficult and consumers should not be made to jump through hoops as reward for upgrading.

I'm not a US resident and are only in the country on a short term basis for work several times a year.  When I go home, I can't buy from B&N anymore but I can buy from Whitcoulls (book store in New Zealand).  Some titles in Amazon are restricted to the US only so if I had purchased a Kindle, I wouldn't have the option of buying the majority of titles.

Frequent Contributor
mrsvaljones
0 Kudos

Re: Barnes & Noble May Sell Company

Bottom Line...we dont know what will or will not happen...(unless you are a fortune teller???) either way, I own a nook, love it, it goes with me to and from class, to the beach, to the doctors office, any where I go, it goes with me. I love hardcover and paperback books too. Have thousands of them, still purchase them too, but I also by tons of ebooks...and as a college student I side load tons of other books, articles, etc to my nook. For now my nook and me are great. It does exactly what I need it to do, read books and if I'm bored listen to tunes, but mostly I got it to read. I still have my BN membership. I love BN, always have, I can order ebooks or printed books from them, I typically by my textbooks from them as well and lucky me I can find out of print books too. I bought the nook because digital is the "wave of the future". The future is here and people its not going anywhere. If BN sells I'll be sad, but authors still exists, textbooks are still going to be needed for classes, magazines are still going to publish. the world is not suddenly going to collapse. For now I own the nook and fully support Bn, both digitally and via the brick stores. As long as books are around I'll consume them, for now its with BN. I own the nook, so I'm using it and until I know exactly what is going to happen, I'll just keep on reading.

Thou art to me a delicious torment- RWE

Valerie Jones
"You know you're in love when you can't fall asleep because reality is finally better than your dreams..." -Dr. Seuss
New User
Ebk_Fanatic
0 Kudos

BN Up for SALE

Just read on the net about BN putting itself up for sale. Has anyone heard any rumors of what might happen to the NOOK. I am upset that there may wind up being no support in the future for this ereader! Any opinions?

Distinguished Correspondent
Tboner
0 Kudos

Re: BN Up for SALE

Check out this six page thread about this very topic, it's one of many already started.

http://bookclubs.barnesandnoble.com/t5/NOOK-General-Discussion/Barnes-amp-Noble-May-Sell-Company/td-...

You'll likely find yourself reassured in your investment.

New User
Knuxchan
0 Kudos

Re: BN Up for SALE

It's sad to see B&N being put up for sale. It's defintely among many signs of a struggling economy. I really hope they don't close down the B&N store in my town. It's one of my favorite places to go!

Frequent Contributor
la_writer
0 Kudos

B&N for sale: What does this mean for the nook?

http://finance.yahoo.com/career-work/article/110381/clearance-sale-barnes-noble-didnt-evolve-enough?...

I am worried that with B&N's financial troubles, they'll back off on supporting the nook and just give in to the Kindle.  What does this mean for those of us who purchased the nook when it first came out? 

Bibliophile
Jenniisme
0 Kudos

Re: B&N for sale: What does this mean for the nook?

The beauty of the Nook. You can buy from many other sources and borrow from the library as well. So in the highly unlikely event of BN tanking, your Nook is still in good shape.

Contributor
pamsie
0 Kudos

B&N in jeoardy?

I just read on Yahoo that B&N is up for sale to my shock and surprise.  I've been wanting to get a  Nook for a couple of months now, but I may wait and see for quite a bit longer if this company goes belly-up. 

gabourele
0 Kudos

Re: B&N in jeoardy?

[ Edited ]

BN is not going anywhere. To many people talking bad press on the internet. There are way to many stores as well as the online store doing great. So don't worry. This stuff is a stock issue not a store issue. BN is here to stay.

Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
Frequent Contributor
bookbug127
0 Kudos

This is purely an opinion piece. Don't be so easily swayed. If I told you not to buy Apple products is that going to make you stay away from that iPad you've been lusting after. I think not. This is one guys opinion on the matter. Take it as what it is.

flyingtoastr
Topics: 52
Kudos: 2,855

[ Edited ]

Everyone say it with me now.

Barnes and Noble is not for sale. All that is happening is that the board of directors is looking at strategic alternatives, which may result in a sale of the company.

And chances are a "sale" of BN would simply be a move to get the company private again (i.e. sold back to Riggio), which is a good thing. That would allow the company to go red in the short term (with an eye on turning that red into a large digital market share that would end up making huge profits in the long run) without havign to worry about angry stockholders.

Do not confuse "for sale" with "bankrupt". BN has damn good finances.

Jadjuka
0 Kudos

It says in the article that BN just put itself up for sale though. I remember when K-Mart started to tank so they closed down a lot of stores so I'm expecting BN to close down many of its bookstores. But I wonder if this means the nook will also be gone or maybe BN will exist mostly as an online store and we can continue to buy books in e-book format or purchase real copies of a book and have them shipped from the warehouse to the home.

This really sucks but here's hoping this doesn't turn into a total meltdown and shut down of the company and stores. 

Inspired Bibliophile
LarryOnLI
0 Kudos

Just take a deep breath and think for a minute:

If someone buys B&N do you think they would shutdown the only GROWING part of the business?

The future of book publishing and sales is pretty much in eBooks and eReaders.

If someone were to buy B&N it would probably be to get the eBook business. I would worry much more about the brick and mortar stores than the nook and eBook business.

Distinguished Bibliophile
RHWright

I'd optimistically say that this situation may turn out well for the nook in the end.

First, as someone else pointed out, B&N is not entering bankruptcy, either for reorganization or liquidation. This seems to be the first step toward taking the company private one way or another. Whether it's with other investor group, or Len opening his wallet and prevailing, who can say.

Why go private? My short answer/opinion—it takes the pressure off of making decisions for short-term gains in stock price and keeping shareholders happy and puts the focus back on keeping B&N a healthy, relevant, innovative, going concern as the book industry undergoes it's latest round of serious growing pains.

The true fallout of the Amazon effect and a down economy are really starting to tell on all brick-and-mortar retailers. It's time for others to step up to the plate and make online bookselling a truly competitive market, not just one of Amazon and then "those other guys".

As digital strategy and online sales become even more important, I think this can only cement the nook hardware's (and various apps) position as a cornerstone of B&N's strategy, much as Kindle has been a part of Amazon's strategy since it was introduced.

Amazon and Kindle go hand-in-glove for many people. I think B&N needs to take a similar approach and they are already on their way.

And, if the crazy talk/rumors that Amazon might be a buyer come to pass? Well, can you imagine a later generation of nook/Kindle (Kindlenook? Sounds vaguly German.) that utilizes the best of both devices and companies? (Pick your favorite features.)

Conjecture aside, I say it's way too early to worry about the fate of the company or the nook.

My thoughts go out to friends who still work in the B&N stores, both for their stress during an uncertain transition and for the crazy questions they will have to endure from "concerned" customers about B&N's "demise". Hang in there, folks. Booksellers are still the core of the stores and always will be. You guys rock, no matter what the Wall Street talking heads may natter on about!

Doug_Pardee
Kudos: 3,957

[ Edited ]

Jadjuka wrote:

I remember when K-Mart started to tank so they closed down a lot of stores so I'm expecting BN to close down many of its bookstores. But I wonder if this means the nook will also be gone

You're reading way too much into it.

B&N has very solid financials. What's going on is that they've been spending a chunk of their money on switching to Internet sales and to e-books/NOOK, so now that money can't be given to stockholders as dividends. As B&N continues to reposition itself for the 21st Century, they will probably report an operating loss for the next few quarters. B&N's got plenty of money "in the bank", so this isn't a big deal. However, as a result of operating loss reports, the stock price has gone, and will continue to go, down (Price/Earnings Ratio and all that).

When the price of a publicly traded stock goes down, it means that it costs less for someone to buy up all of the stock and therefore the company (or 51% of the stock, and gain control). Len Riggio, who is Chairman of the Board of B&N, is one person who'd like to put together a consortium to buy up all of B&N's stock and take the company "private". A privately held company can be even more aggressive about spending some of the company's savings on the things that need to be done to keep the company around in the long term because the investors understand the importance.

The reality is that every business is for sale, every day of its existence. If someone comes along with enough money, the current owners will sell. Years ago I worked for a company that wasn't up for sale. Then a buyer came in and offered 2-1/2 times the appraised price for the company, and a few days later the company was sold.

Inspired Wordsmith
donc13
0 Kudos

Jadjuka wrote:

It says in the article that BN just put itself up for sale though. I remember when K-Mart started to tank so they closed down a lot of stores so I'm expecting BN to close down many of its bookstores. But I wonder if this means the nook will also be gone or maybe BN will exist mostly as an online store and we can continue to buy books in e-book format or purchase real copies of a book and have them shipped from the warehouse to the home.

This really sucks but here's hoping this doesn't turn into a total meltdown and shut down of the company and stores. 

THE SKY IS FALLING!   THE SKY IS FALLING!

Barnes and Noble is not going away, they are being taken private.   

Their FUTURE depends on ebooks.    Without the nook, they would slowly drop off the face of the earth as hard cover books go the way of vinyl records and 8 tracks and cassette tapes and video tapes, etc.

With a nook, you don't need a physical store nearby; however, every B&N store I've been in lately has been packed.

---------
Don
Correspondent
Kirk_S
0 Kudos

And even if B&N does sell, do you think their buyers would spend a billion dollars just for the privilege of shutting them down? If someone bought B&N, it would be because they like B&N's business and think they can do a better job of running it.

Inspired Bibliophile
FrogAlum

For those that are afraid to purchase the Nook but really want one, do it, just minimize your exposure if you are that worried.

How?  Easy...

1.) Purchase it from Best Buy, you can be sure they will be there a year from now...  (Probably :smileywink: )

2.) Limit your purchases of BN DRM eBooks, buy epub from other vendors and sideload...

3.) By the time anything substantial happens, you will have probably paid it off in free library books anyway!

Me, I'm not worried about it and going on my merry little way...  NO ONE is going to know what's what until it is already under way to some extent, shoot it may never happen or it could be happening now, corporate strategy is kept under wraps as long as possible for good reason, at least to them.  :smileyhappy:

Let's face it, chances are much higher that you will be upset in future by a price cut or new version coming out long before anything happens to the Nook due to something on corporate sale front.

Inspired Bibliophile
FrogAlum
0 Kudos

Kirk_S wrote:

And even if B&N does sell, do you think their buyers would spend a billion dollars just for the privilege of shutting them down? If someone bought B&N, it would be because they like B&N's business and think they can do a better job of running it.

Ahhh, but this isn't unheard of....  :smileywink:

Inspired Contributor
Undel
0 Kudos

As others have said ahead of me, even if B&N goes under, you can purchase ebooks elsewhere. Even Amazon's non-compatible .lit books. :-) Simply use an ebook management program like Calibre to convert them and upload to your Nook.

If they do go under, I'll be a bit disappointed, as tech support is a good thing to have, and I do like the convenience of purchasing books off the nook itself without having to hook it up to the computer. Even with that worry, I doubt B&N is going to disappear in the next 3 years. ^^