Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Contributor
annoyingboy
0 Kudos

Re: Is anyone worried about B&N going out of business?!?!?!?

I'm not worried at all. Any company can go out of business. The first computer I ever bought was from a company called Blackship Computers and they promptly went belly up.  I also bought a Handspring Visor, an Apex tv, etc. Jeez, now that I think about it, I hope I don't jinx the Nook!

New User
14977FirstStreet
0 Kudos

what happens to my Nook when B&N sells???

Wouldn't you know it!  I just bought a nook last week and now I hear on CNBC that Barnes and Noble put itself up for sale!!!   Will it be supported with software updates?  Would it be better to get my money back now?  etc. etc.

Inspired Contributor
kittykat59
0 Kudos

Re: what happens to my Nook when B&N sells???

WHAT!!! We need answers

flyingtoastr
Topics: 55
Kudos: 2,947
0 Kudos

Can an admin check the IP's on all these "BN is being sold" threads that are cropping up today? I'm starting to get the distinct impression we're being trolled.

New User
14977FirstStreet
0 Kudos

Also just saw it in the New York Times and Wall Street Journal.  They are definitely selling, and I'm soooo upset, because it's just my luck, I researched all the options and I thought that the Nook was definitely the best, and it probably is.  I just want to know if it'll be supported by the company.  I mean, what guarantees do we have as recent purchasers of the Nook?????

I hope someone was upper management at B&N responds to this post - SOON!!!!  I'm a bit panicky.

New User
14977FirstStreet
0 Kudos

No need to check my IP.  Go to the Wall Street Journal, New York Times and CNBC to check it out yourself.

flyingtoastr
Topics: 55
Kudos: 2,947
0 Kudos

The only major news for BN on the business side of things at the moment is the proxy fight between Burkle and Riggio. And Riggio exercising his provision to buy another million shares in preparation for that proxy. Other than that, it's all weeks old news.

The whole "BN IS GOIN UNDERRRRRRR" wailing is the combination of the national media failing to understand how businesses work and forgetting the definition of "might".

Wordsmith
NookGuy

[ Edited ]

Obviously, some people are going to be concerned, but as the flyingtoastr said, there is some trolling going on too. Notice the OP has only a few posts to these forums, and it was this 'Oh my what am I to do' thread. People need to chill out and learn not to have trolls like this upset you.

Barnes and Noble would actually be in a better position if they sold and went private - about $55 million they wouldn't have to pay as dividends could be used to plow into the digital part of the business. Anyway, their stock sailed up in price earlier this month when it was first announced that they were thinking about putting themselves on the market.

There is no reason to start worrying - your nook isn't going to self-destruct, and you're not going to get a '404 Page Not Found' message when surfing to the B & N store any time soon.

So relax, buy a book for your nook, read, and enjoy it!!!

Nallia
Topics: 125
Kudos: 3,236
0 Kudos

flyingtoastr wrote:

The only major news for BN on the business side of things at the moment is the proxy fight between Burkle and Riggio. And Riggio exercising his provision to buy another million shares in preparation for that proxy. Other than that, it's all weeks old news.

The whole "BN IS GOIN UNDERRRRRRR" wailing is the combination of the national media failing to understand how businesses work and forgetting the definition of "might".

Ignoring, rather.

Frequent Contributor
Kunde
0 Kudos

I hate to say this, but this topic has been discussed so many times. You don't even need to use the search function of this forum to see the other threads...

AlanNJ
Topics: 64
Kudos: 1,518
0 Kudos

In today's economy I'd be more upset if B&N wasn't a takeover candidate.

►Without order there is chaos◄
Wordsmith
h2oskierc
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

14977FirstStreet wrote:

Wouldn't you know it!  I just bought a nook last week and now I hear on CNBC that Barnes and Noble put itself up for sale!!!   Will it be supported with software updates?  Would it be better to get my money back now?  etc. etc.

Your nook (sorry NOOK) will blow up before the ink on the purchase agreement even dries.  Don't worry, though, it is a small explosion, and will in no way injure you, your family, your pets, or your possessions.  The fire is a little smoky, but the smell goes away in 24-48 hours, and it is soot-free, so there will be no stains from ash.

Edited: To Note Sarcasm

:smileytongue:

B&N Bookseller
Brad_W

This is being misinterpreted a lot in the media.  Len Riggio (founder of what B&N is today) and the Board were seeking solutions to the stock being undervalued.  They have been looking at a possible buyout with other investment groups.  The company is financially sound and has a great digital intiative that is far ahead of the competition. 

No need to fret. 

With purpose and on purpose
Inspired Contributor
JAin-NYC

To the Troll OP: The sky is falling, the sky is falling!  Return you nook before it is too late!  :smileytongue:  The rest of us will continue reading on our books on our nooks.

B&N Bookseller
RedRapier
0 Kudos

flyingtoastr wrote:

Can an admin check the IP's on all these "BN is being sold" threads that are cropping up today? I'm starting to get the distinct impression we're being trolled.

or at the very least can we get all these threads merged?

my life is a Soap Opera, and I want a new head writer!
Inspired Contributor
JohnP51

There is no excuse for being too lazy or too stupid to search the boards as this has been asked and answered (by those who know) several times.

Your nook will not explode on the sale date. The mothership is scheduled to come down and beam all nooks back aboard ship they can all return to the planet Nooktoon in the galaxy of Nooklevania. That is also where the Toonerville Trolly came from.

John

"Books are for people who wish they were somewhere else." ~ Mark Twain
gqb
Inspired Scribe
gqb
0 Kudos

LOL, John!

So, at the very worst, you'd have a nook and would still be able to get books from other epub sellers and the public library. 

Correspondent
Alanakat
0 Kudos

I just love you guys! You always have a way to calm any fears I have about my Nook. who is named Nookie.

Inspired Bibliophile
LarryOnLI
0 Kudos

What happened to your Jeep when Chrysler bought them?

What happened to your Chrysler when Fiat bought them?

What happened to your Compaq when they were purchased by HP?

Did your Jag stop working when Ford bought them?

This list can go on for pages. The possible sale of B&N has little or nothing to do with us as NOOK owners.

Distinguished Scribe
sub_rosa
0 Kudos

To answer Larry's question directly:  My Jag lost a step or two when Ford bought the company.

:smileyvery-happy:

Don't buy from Random House, Macmillan, or Penguin until the agency model is COMPLETELY dead.