Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Inspired Bibliophile
FrogAlum
0 Kudos

Re: Barnes & Noble May Sell Company

Willbook wrote:

What do think will happen if B&N is bought out by another company selling e-books and e-book readers? Where will that leave the current owners of Nooks? I hope this does not void the product for the future or cause purchased e-books to somehow "disappear" from the Nook.

Not to mention, "Lifetime Library" or whatever they want to call it is a trademark, not legal disclosure.  Check out the legalese and you'll find you have no guarantee of forever or lifetime.

Doug_Pardee
Kudos: 4,013
0 Kudos

Breaking DRM is illegal under Federal law

Breaking DRM for your own use is not a crime, but it is still illegal under Federal law (it's a civil violation). It is more than a matter of breaking the service agreement. In the absence of your having created "actual damages", you can be sued in Federal court for up to $2500 per incident, plus court and attorneys' costs, plus the loss of the equipment used to perform the violations. That's the legal limit for the first offense, as described in 17 USC 1203(c)(3).

There is no chance that the DRM used on third-party matter such as e-books would be "released free". The DRM is not there to protect Barnes & Noble; it's there to protect the publisher and the author.

B&N has not legally stated that they will maintain your e-book library in perpetuity. B&N's official Terms of Use state (emphasis added):

Barnes & Noble.com reserves the right to modify or discontinue the offering of any Digital Content at any time. If a unit of Digital Content becomes unavailable prior to download but after purchase, your sole and exclusive remedy is the refund of the purchase price paid for such Digital Content. Some Digital Content may not remain available for re-download from your eBook Library, if for example, the publisher of the Digital Content no longer retains the rights or other licenses, consents or permissions to that Digital Content. Digital Content already downloaded to your device[s] will not be affected. …

The Terms of Use, including all documents referenced herein, represents the entire understanding between User and Barnes & Noble.com regarding User's relationship with Barnes & Noble.com…

What you choose to do about DRM is not my concern. But there is no question that breaking the DRM just so that one can personally continue using an e-book is a violation of Federal law (17 USC 1201(a), to be precise), for which one can be sued in Federal court, regardless of whether B&N exists or not.

Contributor
BUBBA_HO_TEP
0 Kudos

_deb_ wrote:

BUBBA_HO_TEP wrote:

I agree. Their is no real incentive to buy from B&N. 

I've thought about it and disagree with this poster and the others that state the Nook's open library format is a killer to eBook profits for BN.  IMO it offers the best of both worlds.  Yes, you can sideload other content and there are many that take advantage of that feature.  In fact, that capability is a BIG selling point for the Nook.  However, BN has also created a very easy and pleasant eBook shopping experience for Nook owners.  The ease with which you can purchase eBooks from BN feeds the "swipe and buy" world we live in.  People want everything fast and convenient today.  Their food, entertainment, medical care, etc.  

For everyone who is techie and frugal enough to search out and sideload less expensive or free books, there is another who either due to lack of knowledge, lack of time, or pure preference for convenience, will simply purchase their books from BN because it is SO easy to do so.  So, does the Nook sell fewer eBooks than Amazon because it promotes an open library - yes.  Does that feature render it "dead in the water" profit wise - definitely not!

I still believe B&N would not be in such financial woes if they would have stuck with a more closed system. IMHO it was just to early. They should have laid a stronger foundation and waited a few years before trying a open format. ie bigger book selection etc...

Distinguished Bibliophile
ABthree
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

FrogAlum wrote:

With better inventory management, especially with more care to offer all titles in series, or all related titles by one author, I think you'd see Nook owners respond, even if prices weren't always the lowest on Inkmesh, because of the better experience.

Well, that depends on how many Sony GC one might still have...  :smileywink:

LOL  Good point!  But I have a boatload of GCs left over at Sony, and I STILL just bought
The Thousand Autumns of Jacob de Zoet  

from B&N, illustrating my own point, I guess. :smileyvery-happy:

+LORD, preserve the good in their goodness, and+
+in your kindness, make the wicked become good.+
-- St. Basil the Great+
Inspired Correspondent
amillio
0 Kudos

Maybe I am wrong but cant we just download our barnes and noble purchases and sideload them on to our nooks? I have all my purchases backed up on my computer and if worse case scenario happened cant I just read them that way. Its not breaking the law or anything right because I purchased them. I really dont see the ebook market or barnes and noble going anywhere. Even with an open source nook barnes and noble is selling more books now that the nook has been released than they were before it was released. I see our ebook selection and our nooks continuing grow even if the company were to sell. 

Doug_Pardee
0 Kudos

Backing up B&N e-books

[ Edited ]

amillio wrote:

cant we just download our barnes and noble purchases and sideload them on to our nooks? I have all my purchases backed up on my computer and if worse case scenario happened cant I just read them that way.

Yes, exactly so. I have a full backup of all of my e-books, including B&N e-books. If Something Terrible should ever happen to B&N, I can always load the e-books I bought from them into 'my documents'. Okay, so I'd lose the cover flow and title search. I'd get by. :smileytongue:

flyingtoastr
Topics: 55
Kudos: 2,947

Re: Backing up B&N e-books

A lot of people are confusing "possibly for sale" with "bankrupt". BN's board is assuming that their next few quarters are going to be losses due to greatly increased investment in digital media (ebooks). As a publicly traded company they have to weigh this with their stockholders, but by going private they have no real reason to worry about going into the red for a year or two if it increases their market presence and income in the long run. 

This is a good thing for nook owners. It means even more investments poured into the devices that we all like so much. Don't worry so much. :smileyhappy:

Doug_Pardee
0 Kudos

B&N financial state

[ Edited ]

flyingtoastr wrote:

A lot of people are confusing "possibly for sale" with "bankrupt".

Yeah, I wish I were as solvent as B&N is. I'd retire right now.

Distinguished Correspondent
Tboner

Re: B&N financial state

The best thing in the world for B&N is for it be sold to a private invester group and get the heck off the stock exchange.

It would remove the day to day expectations of of fund managers who can only think of short term gains and allow them to regroup without all the scrutiny that the stock market brings to bear.

B&N is actually in pretty good financial straights, its stock untill recently was undervalued. In years gone by they'd have been bait for corporate raiders. Luckily that kind of raiding is a lot more difficult.

Frankly I wish I had owned stock just a little earlier because someone is going to gain a windfall out of this and I wish it was me.

Frequent Contributor
svsu
0 Kudos

Well did you ever stop to think that the majority of the people who go into BN just go in there to use their free wifi for their nooks or laptops. And the other half just go there to read for free albeit magazines or books. Who can sustain a major conglomeration like BN with a bunch of free loaders??
Tboner
0 Kudos

svsu wrote:
Well did you ever stop to think that the majority of the people who go into BN just go in there to use their free wifi for their nooks or laptops. And the other half just go there to read for free albeit magazines or books. Who can sustain a major conglomeration like BN with a bunch of free loaders??

Well if we define majority as 51% and over, no I never have stopped to think that because I believe it to be a gross exaggeration. A simple head count pretty much disproves it at the B&N that's local to me. There aren't even enough seating places in the store to make it possible.

You can be certain that B&N is keeping statistics on just those kinds of usages of their physical stores and would adjust.

Contributor
BUBBA_HO_TEP
0 Kudos

I for one hope B&N comes out of this mess bigger and better from their ordeal. So they can wow us with the Nook 2. I have only been a Amazon  Kindle owner since the e-book market has taken off. I really hope to change that . I plan to buy a Nook 2 when it comes out this year.:smileywink:

Inspired Wordsmith
donc13

Geeze...doom and gloom folks....guess what...you nook and books WILL be fine no matter what.

B&N won't go out of business and shut their doors.   No matter what.

Sell the company...guess what...it's already sold!   It was  sold to the shareholders during it's IPO and stock offers  after that.    Sell it to Amazon....so?   Do you really think that Amazon will just shut the doors, close the websites and webstore and that's it?

Did GM disappear when it went bankrupt?   And B&N is not talking bankruptcy.  Not even close.

Honest, the sky is not falling.   E-Books (and thus the nook) are the future.   The brick and mortar stores may get closed (some of  them, maybe even all of them)...but that doesn't mean a think to the online store.    Have you all noticed....Amazon has zero brick and mortar stores and is doing just fine.   Amazon didn't make a penny in profits for YEARS, but is doing very well now.   

B&N may go private, may get sold, may stay as is or any other option, but for the foreseeable future, your nook and ebooks will be just fine and  usable as will new content be available.

Again...the sky is NOT falling.

---------
Don
Inspired Wordsmith
donc13
0 Kudos

Re: Barnes & Noble May Sell Company -- huh?

want2know wrote:

I appreciate Michael V statement but the truth is he really can't speak to what the future might bring if the company is sold.

All I care is that my Nook works and as so many bloggers have said you can get books many places.  I just won't be renewing my membership.

Don't be absurd....why would you renew your membership if you've got a nook?   You don't need a membership to use the nook and a membership gives  you ZERO benefits on nook purchases.

Michael_V posted the official B&N statement.   He  works for B&N

Get it?

The sky is NOT falling, never was, never will be.

---------
Don
Tboner
0 Kudos

Re: Barnes & Noble May Sell Company -- huh?

Well never is a REALLY long time but I agree with the sentiment :-)

The only time you need to worry is if the bits and pieces of a company are worth more than the whole.

That's just not the case here. 

donc13 wrote:

want2know wrote:

I appreciate Michael V statement but the truth is he really can't speak to what the future might bring if the company is sold.

All I care is that my Nook works and as so many bloggers have said you can get books many places.  I just won't be renewing my membership.

Don't be absurd....why would you renew your membership if you've got a nook?   You don't need a membership to use the nook and a membership gives  you ZERO benefits on nook purchases.

Michael_V posted the official B&N statement.   He  works for B&N

Get it?

The sky is NOT falling, never was, never will be.

Inspired Wordsmith
donc13
0 Kudos

Willbook wrote:

What do think will happen if B&N is bought out by another company selling e-books and e-book readers? Where will that leave the current owners of Nooks? I hope this does not void the product for the future or cause purchased e-books to somehow "disappear" from the Nook.

Let's see....Fiat just bought Chrysler....were the current owners  of Chrysler products  out of luck?   NOPE

Let's see....Oracle just bought out Sun (owner of MySQL)....did MySQL disappear?   NOPE

NO ONE BUYS A COMPANY TO CLOSE IT!   They buy it to make money from the purchase!

You don't make money by buying a bookstore and then closing the stores and stopping the sales of the e-books.   Could some stores close...sure.   But the online store...are you nuts?

The WORST that could happen if Amazon bought B&N would be (and I'm sure it'd be Justice Department requirement) would be they'd have to add a Kindle reader app to the nook.

Think PEOPLE...THINK!

---------
Don
Inspired Wordsmith
donc13
0 Kudos

svsu wrote:

Have you ever heard of impulse purchases?    Probably not.

That's why there are magazines at checkout counters, and candy and other stuff that people WILL  grab, even though they had no intent going into the store to buy candy or a magazine.  Same thing with end cap displays, popular products at eye level on shelves and people walking around asking if they can help you.   Impulse sales are a HUGE profit maker.

The idea  is to get people INTO the stores, once in there....many will intice themselves into buying something.  I assure you, the marketing and merchandising people at B&N are not stupid.   Their job is to make money for B&N, not lose it.  

---------
Don
Doug_Pardee

donc13 wrote:

NO ONE BUYS A COMPANY TO CLOSE IT!   They buy it to make money from the purchase!

Eliminating competition is one of the common reasons for a horizontal acquisition. That'd be the only logical reason for Amazon to buy B&N: to remove a major competitor from the scene. I have little reason to believe that Amazon's interested, that they're financially capable, and that the FTC would permit it. I'm not concerned.

Ron Burkle is another matter. He's at the opposite end of thinking from Len Riggio. Riggio wants to spend money to position B&N for the future, even though that depresses the stock price for a while. Burkle wants to increase B&N's stock price. The usual approaches to pumping the stock price are by selling off parts of the company—the e-book/NOOK operation would probably be the first, although the college bookstore operation would also be high on his hit-list—and by killing investment in forward-looking programs. Once the stock price gets high enough, he sells out and lets the hollowed-out hulk collapse. I don't see Burkle gaining control, but it could happen.

If anyone else buys B&N, or if it doesn't sell, I wouldn't expect any disruption in the NOOK world.

Regardless of what happens, there's nothing I could do about it, so why should I fret over it? Besides, my NOOK works and I've got plenty of e-books for it.

New User
JustNeil
0 Kudos

Yeah except don't expect to be able to put any ebooks you bought from B&N on any other eReader.

Unfortunately there's this nasty little thing called DRM that stops you doing what you want with your own property...

Inspired Correspondent
NikiGunn

JustNeil wrote:

Yeah except don't expect to be able to put any ebooks you bought from B&N on any other eReader.

Unfortunately there's this nasty little thing called DRM that stops you doing what you want with your own property...

Hasn't that been addressed several times, not only on these boards but in this thread? B&N and Adobe shared the DRM scheme. Some other readers can already read B&N books. ADE will be updated for it. Even if the company is sold and it goes away, that doesn't mean there is a kill swtich in the Nook so it will stop working instantly, or that it will melt, crumble to dust, disappear into thin air...

However, by your argument about the DRM, the same thing can be said for Amazon and the iBookstore. They don't share their DRM with anyone, unlike B&N. Your point?