Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Frequent Contributor
Dyrinn45
0 Kudos

Re: Barnes & Noble May Sell Company -- huh?

if b&n goes under or stops supporting the nook, i will just get the new lower priced kindle when they release, even though im not a fan of kindles and the proprietary book store.

AlanNJ
Topics: 64
Kudos: 1,518
0 Kudos

But then you'll have two devices.  IF (and it's a big if) B&N goes under I'll be looking for a device so I can keep everything in one place.

►Without order there is chaos◄
Wordsmith
h2oskierc
0 Kudos

AlanNJ wrote:

But then you'll have two devices.  IF (and it's a big if) B&N goes under I'll be looking for a device so I can keep everything in one place.

Let's say B&N does flop.  That doesn't mean your nook all of the sudden won't work.  You don't need B&N for new eBooks, and you sure don't need them for the ones you've already bought...

Because of the many formats it supports, you have nothing to worry about.

Reader 4
ArmchairThomist
0 Kudos

Thanks, FrogAlum. So what we're talking about with the ebooks and companies like B&N is a second degree of separation. If I buy a paper book, I own the copy. If I buy a digital copy of the same book, I license the legal right to read the content until something bad happens with the vendor that licensed the content. So in reality all we're paying B&N for is a little time with the content on a proprietary device? That's pointless, then, if you're a serious reader. For the typical reader, that just isn't worth the time and money. I understand the challenges of DRM and copy protection which aren't present with a paper copy. But the way this is set up, it's a scam. My hope was that B&N chose the ePub format because they were trying to boost the adoption of a long running digital standard, like PDF. Having books tied to the fortunes and business practices of corporations is not my idea of a wise investment. Books aren't commodity items. This might be OK for folks who read ephemeral dime store novels but not for folks who read books they will want to read over and over again or consult as needed.
Distinguished Correspondent
very-simple

ArmchairThomist wrote:
Thanks, FrogAlum. So what we're talking about with the ebooks and companies like B&N is a second degree of separation. If I buy a paper book, I own the copy. If I buy a digital copy of the same book, I license the legal right to read the content until something bad happens with the vendor that licensed the content. So in reality all we're paying B&N for is a little time with the content on a proprietary device? That's pointless, then, if you're a serious reader. For the typical reader, that just isn't worth the time and money. I understand the challenges of DRM and copy protection which aren't present with a paper copy. But the way this is set up, it's a scam. My hope was that B&N chose the ePub format because they were trying to boost the adoption of a long running digital standard, like PDF. Having books tied to the fortunes and business practices of corporations is not my idea of a wise investment. Books aren't commodity items. This might be OK for folks who read ephemeral dime store novels but not for folks who read books they will want to read over and over again or consult as needed.

Not at all.  All you need to do is backup your ebook purchases to your computer, and then you don't need to rely on B&N's continued existence to continue reading your ebooks.  In addition, B&N has given adobe permission to license out B&N's DRM (which was developed jointly with B&N and adobe) to other vendors, specifically so that B&N's books can be read (eventually) on other devices.  

Any electronic device/file/etc is a bit ephemeral, but a little backup/maintenance on your part goes a long way.  

Inspired Contributor
JohnP51

[ Edited ]

People, people, people. There's nothing to panic about.

First, a company (corporation) does not sell itself. Its shareholders vote and agree to sell their combined shares in that corporation to someone else. It is simply a change in shareholders.

Second, nobody would by a company if they didn't think they could make a profit somehow. Either in flipping the shares if the company and/or economy turns around or through the company using alternate business models. Nobody buys a corporation just to shut it down. That's as dumb as a box of hammers.

What would spell doom to B&N as well as any other company doing business in the USA is the economy. As our government piles more and more taxes and mandates on businesses you'll see more and more outsourcing to other countries. Granted you cannot outsource a physical store overseas but you can outsource ebook "manufacturing" and customer support. I am a small operation and already am feeling the effects of both the economic downturn and the pressure of government mandates.

So there's nothing to see here. Move along please.

John

"Books are for people who wish they were somewhere else." ~ Mark Twain
Wordsmith
Michael-V

@All,
We would like to assure our valued customers that yesterday’s announcement has absolutely no effect on Barnes & Noble’s bookstores, our customers and our valued Members.  Our company is financially strong and the decision to explore strategic alternatives for the company is based on our undervalued stock price.  We remain excited about the growth of our digital book businesses and think we are well positioned to gain a significant share of this new market.  We will continue to deliver best-in-class innovation through our technology and retail stores and will remain focused on adding value to our customers’ book-buying and reading experience.  Customer service has always been a hallmark of our company. And as the nation’s top bookseller, we remain committed to our customers and our business and to the quality of our products, our services and the Barnes & Noble brand.

Frequent Contributor
100kgs
0 Kudos

This is typical business rumors and the few of you who are all doom and gloom are quite sad.  And the one arm chair lawyer, what a hoot you are.

The sky is falling the sky is falling... ahhahahahahahahahhahha

"Not that I have anything against senseless violence, manling, but why are you strangling that old man?" - Gotrek Gurnisson
Wordsmith
Michael-V
0 Kudos

This message has been moved to a more appropriate location. This helps to keep our boards organized.

Frequent Contributor
passthepeas
0 Kudos

Hmmmm ... Now I am torn.  Hearing last week about B&N ramping up the promotion of the nook made me feel confident about purchasing one, now with this news I am a bit concerned again.  This coupled with the rumors of a new nook, which may or may not be many changes, is giving me pause before I purchase.  I have been eyeing a nook since last Christmas and would like to buy myself one for my birthday, but all of this recent news is confusing me. What to do, what to do? :smileyindifferent:

Distinguished Bibliophile
ABthree
0 Kudos

@passthepeas

Have a look at Michael-V's post a little earlier in this thread:  that puts this report in a good perspective. 

I love my Nook, I use it daily, and I have no worries about being able to read it in the future -- until I decide to replace it with something even better! 

If you want a Nook, go for it -- I don't think you'll regret it. :smileyvery-happy:

+LORD, preserve the good in their goodness, and+
+in your kindness, make the wicked become good.+
-- St. Basil the Great+
Distinguished Wordsmith
TXAnnie
0 Kudos

h2oskierc wrote:

AlanNJ wrote:

Let's say B&N does flop.  That doesn't mean your nook all of the sudden won't work.  You don't need B&N for new eBooks, and you sure don't need them for the ones you've already bought...

Because of the many formats it supports, you have nothing to worry about.

Unless you have problems and need B&N support.  Hopefully, the support for the nook will continue.

I am concerned that the books we have on the nook may not be compatible with whatever device is used by the company that takes over B&N.

At the very least, I am going to begin backing up my nook/books on ADE.  I have read so many posters suggesting backup and have yet to do so.

I am crushed at the thought of the possibility of no more B&N.  When I retire, my goal was to work part time at B&N.  I love books, and thought this would be an ideal job.

Nallia
Topics: 125
Kudos: 3,236

This panic and hysteria is really unnecessary.  The shareholders may sell the company to someone else.

And the may not.

Talk like this is nothing new.  Almost all companies discuss this at some point.  So what?  This is just one of many strategic options to be considered, and may not come to anything at all.

Distinguished Wordsmith
TXAnnie
0 Kudos

@Nallia

I do hope you are correct.  However, this kind of news will more than likely hurt the sales of new nooks.  If I did not already have one, I would wait to hear what is happening to B&N before I would purchase a nook or I would just purchase a different ereader.

Frequent Contributor
passthepeas
0 Kudos

@ TXAnnie

This is the camp I fall into.  I was about 95% ready to purchase a nook, now I am down to about 80%.  While I agree this may just be rumors and I appericate Michael's comments above,  I do have a fear in the back of my mind that B&N may be sold and the new buyer may not see the nook as a priority.  All that being said, I do still think I will buy a nook sometime in the next couple of weeks. :smileyhappy:

Distinguished Correspondent
mousetater

Here is another perspective on the situation.  Maybe it would be a good thing for B&N to go private instead of being owned by stockholders. 

Here's the Reuters article link:
http://www.reuters.com/article/idUSTRE6725JJ20100804

From WSJ/wires:
http://online.wsj.com/article/BT-CO-20100803-721120.html
"Morningstar analyst Peter Wahlstrom said that if Barnes & Noble were to go private, it would allow the company to invest more quickly in its digital and e-book platform, which should help it compete more effectively. If the company were to stay public, it would have to balance its investments versus earnings, and it may not choose to invest as quickly."

From zdnet.com:
http://www.zdnet.com/blog/btl/barnes-noble-on-the-block-will-a-sale-help-it-versus-amazon/37575
"In the long run, it remains to be seen whether a Barnes & Noble sale or effort to take it private will bolster its efforts against Amazon. The e-reader stakes are getting higher and perhaps Barnes & Noble’s management will have an easier time making big bets without quarterly scrutiny. At the very least, Barnes & Noble’s statement indicates that it thinks it deserves more credit than it is getting."

(Thanks to PageTurner on nookboards forum for these links.)

Inspired Contributor
MrBanballow
0 Kudos

As already mentioned, I bought my nook last Friday, but I most assuredly would have reconsidered had this news been announced sooner. C'est la vie.

Currently reading: The Complete Sherlock Holmes Vol 1, Grimm's Fairy Tales
Frequent Contributor
want2know
0 Kudos

I appreciate Michael V statement but the truth is he really can't speak to what the future might bring if the company is sold.

All I care is that my Nook works and as so many bloggers have said you can get books many places.  I just won't be renewing my membership.

Frequent Contributor
_deb_

Re: Barnes & Noble May Sell Company

I work for a large international company which has seen many many strategic changes over the past year and a half.  Turmoil within our ranks has been wide.  Smart employees....a'hem - myself included :smileywink:...have discovered that allowing every report off the newswire to casue stress, worry, excitement, anger, etc is wasted energy.  For many workers and product lines, the changes brought about an improved situation, and for others...not so much.

I would guarantee you in this economy, the companies which produced not only your eReader but your phone, car, TV, appliances, etc. are considering varying strategic changes which could impact their product lines or customer service.  So to follow my grandmother's advice to "not borrow fret or worry", I research, purchase, maintain, and enjoy my toys without stressing over what may/may not happen.

Hope to see you later at...

Contributor
Caithleen

I'm just speculating like everyone else, but these analyses make sense to me. The Riggio family has had a stake in B&N for a very long time now, and they've always remained actively involved with the company. It seems fairly unlikely that they'd simply step away now and sell to the highest bidder.

I saw this story teased on a morning news show as "Amazon's Kindle has killed Barnes & Noble," and they made it sound like the company was definitely up for sale. On closer examination, it doesn't even sound like that's the case, so I think panic is at least premature, and probably unnecessary.