Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Inspired Bibliophile
FrogAlum
0 Kudos

Re: B&N for sale: What does this mean for the nook?

Undel wrote:

As others have said ahead of me, even if B&N goes under, you can purchase ebooks elsewhere. Even Amazon's non-compatible .lit books. :-) Simply use an ebook management program like Calibre to convert them and upload to your Nook.

If they do go under, I'll be a bit disappointed, as tech support is a good thing to have, and I do like the convenience of purchasing books off the nook itself without having to hook it up to the computer. Even with that worry, I doubt B&N is going to disappear in the next 3 years. ^^

First - Amazon doesn't use .lit, they have own proprietary DRM format typically it's an .azw file.

Second - Calibre will not convert an eBook with DRM, you would have to crack it first.

Third - Kobo, Borders, Sony, etc all sell epub books that will work on the Nook.

Contributor
OrangeBowl
0 Kudos

@Frog

Of all the great advice you've given on these boards ^above^ is by far the best

I try not to comment on others comments but I couldn't resist this one

Inspired Contributor
Undel
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

I haven't purchased anyting from Amazon yet. My apologies on my false assumption that calibre would covert it for me, as I purchased a book from Borders and calibre organized and uploaded it just fine to the Nook for me.

I'm aware of all the sites you listed, as well as places like fictionwise (though that's owned by B&N too, so eh...)

Inspired Correspondent
Sandikal
0 Kudos

The last couple of years have been crappy for all kinds of business.  Bookstores are particularly hard hit.  The way I see it, the worst that might happen is that they might close some of their less profitable physical stores, like Borders did, and focus more on the ebook and online DTB business.  In a way, that would be a good thing because it would leave a niche for independent booksellers that have been driven out of many communities by the big chain book stores.

Distinguished Correspondent
AllenR
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

"Over the past three years, Barnes & Noble's annual profits have slid from $135.8 million to $75.9 million to $36.7 million."

No matter what anyone says, even in this economy, these financial results don't represent a well-run companyTimes, they are a' changin' and businesses have to react fast and make tough decisions.  The future is going to get even tougher for the book selling industry. 

A change of leadership would be a good thing for B&N

Lucien Buonaparte speaking of a young lady... "ever fresh, not like a rose, but like a good radish"
Napoleon Buonaparte on the reason for marriage: " I want to marry a womb" - Those Buonapartes sure knew how to woo a woman!

Inspired Bibliophile
FrogAlum
0 Kudos

OrangeBowl wrote:

@Frog

Of all the great advice you've given on these boards ^above^ is by far the best

I try not to comment on others comments but I couldn't resist this one

Thank you!  :smileyhappy:

Inspired Bibliophile
FrogAlum
0 Kudos

Undel wrote:

I haven't purchased anyting from Amazon yet. My apologies on my false assumption that calibre would covert it for me, as I purchased a book from Borders and calibre organized and uploaded it just fine to the Nook for me.

I'm aware of all the sites you listed, as well as places like fictionwise (though that's owned by B&N too, so eh...)

Okey dokey, quick reference guide...

You can put almost any epub (you cannot use the iBooks version!) format, pdb format and pdf format on the Nook.  You cannot use iBooks epub and you cannot use Amazon, they both hold their formats close and you have to use their readers or apps to read their books...  For all real intents and purposes, you can not currently put a BN eBook on any of the other mainstream epub readers (Sony or Kobo) that might be changing later though and it will not work at all (and don't look for this to change) on iBooks or Amazon readers or apps...

When you purchased from Borders that book was already the correct format so Calibre had no problem with it.  If you want to check and see if an eBook has DRM just try to view it in Calibre, if it has DRM you won't be able to view it, if it doesn't you will.  A few (very few) of the eBooks from the main retailers are DRM free but they don't advertise them as such so always assume it will be DRM unless you somehow know otherwise.

Reader
Gothic-Lover
0 Kudos

Is anyone worried about B&N going out of business?!?!?!?

I know many of you have heard about B&N being sold and not doing so well financially. If you haven't heard, read this article on the Wall Street Journal's website, http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748703824304575435512550936090.html?KEYWORDS=barnes+and+n...

I recently decided that I was going to buy the Nook over Amazon's Kindle, for both my son and I. But after I came across this news about B&N going out of business...I am concerned that if they do go, what will happen to all of the customers who bought the Nook? Will we be left in the dust with no support of way to download books etc.?

Is anyone else worried about this?

Amy

flyingtoastr
Topics: 55
Kudos: 2,949

Re: Is anyone worried about B&N going out of business?!?!?!?

BN is not for sale.

The board of directors is looking for way to increase the stock value, which might include selling the company. "For sale" also is not the same as "bankrupt". Don't confuse the two. 

The WSJ in particular seems to have forgotten the meaning of the word "might".

Inspired Bibliophile
LarryOnLI
0 Kudos

Gothic-Lover wrote:

I know many of you have heard about B&N being sold and not doing so well financially. If you haven't heard, read this article on the Wall Street Journal's website, http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748703824304575435512550936090.html?KEYWORDS=barnes+and+n...

I recently decided that I was going to buy the Nook over Amazon's Kindle, for both my son and I. But after I came across this news about B&N going out of business...I am concerned that if they do go, what will happen to all of the customers who bought the Nook? Will we be left in the dust with no support of way to download books etc.?

Is anyone else worried about this?

Amy

For Sale DOES NOT EQUAL Going Out of Business.

These are two very different things.

No article or rumor I have come across says B&N is going out of business.

The only reason for someone to buy B&N is if they think they can make money from the company.

In my opinion B&N's biggest selling point is the NOOK, NOOK Apps, and it's eBook store. Certainly they are the last thing a new owner would be looking to get rid of, and the first thing they would consider increasing investment in.

Correspondent
Doc_Nukem
0 Kudos

No. Not worried. Nook on....

Wordsmith
gandalf1369
0 Kudos

No - not worried at all. 

Even IF Barnes & Noble went out of business and disappeared from the face of the earth, your nook will still be able to read books.  You could still get books from your library, still purchase books from any number of on-line web sites, still load (if you wish) mp3's to listen to, etc. 

If your nook becomes non-functional, then that could present a problem.  Chances of that happening however are relatively small.  More than likely your nook will last at least several years, at which time, eBook technology would have improved to the point that you would probably buy a new device anyway.

Buy the nook, use it, and enjoy it.

Bob

**** He Who Dies With The Most Toys Wins ****
Nallia
Topics: 125
Kudos: 3,236
0 Kudos

Wordsmith
steffiebaby140
0 Kudos

Also not worried.  First, I never believe anything the WSJ says since they seem to completely make up their "facts" about half the time...or conveniently leave half the facts out to make a more exciting story.  Most news outlets have the same problem which is why I avoid them too. 

Two, there is absolutely no indication that B&N is in any kind of financial trouble.  Indeed all reports seem to suggest that since the release of Nook and ebooks, B&N is doing very very well financially.  If I am wrong feel free to point me to a credible source that says they're in trouble, because I haven't seen one.

Three, putting the company up for sale is no indication is will be going out of business.  It would be very stupid for anyone to buy a company that has a very successful new technology, a long establihed history, is financial stable, and shut it down....that would be a very dumb move. 

In a perfect world the chicken would be able to cross the road without his intentions being questioned.
Distinguished Bibliophile
RHWright
0 Kudos

Am I worried? In a word—no.

Correspondent
love_my_karma
0 Kudos

I've got much bigger things to worry about than whether B&N fails. Really, I wish this were one of my big concerns.:smileyindifferent:

She is too fond of books, and it has turned her brain. (1873)
~ Louisa May Alcott ~
Inspired Wordsmith
Ed_Mart
0 Kudos

flyingtoastr wrote:

The WSJ in particular seems to have forgotten the meaning of the word "might".

Considering who now owns the WSJ that comes as no surprise.  It is however highly amusing considering that when the WSJ was sold it did not disappear.  They seem to have forgotten that too.

Frequent Contributor
100kgs
0 Kudos

Thought we were done with this nonsense or it is just a couple of trolls?

"Not that I have anything against senseless violence, manling, but why are you strangling that old man?" - Gotrek Gurnisson
Inspired Contributor
JohnP51
0 Kudos

OP's post count is one. Registered today. Silly troll. Go back to your kindle boards.

John

"Books are for people who wish they were somewhere else." ~ Mark Twain
Distinguished Wordsmith
Josienjoe
0 Kudos

@ Gothic-Lover,

Nope, not worried.