Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Inspired Wordsmith
Ozman69
0 Kudos

Barnes & Noble May Sell Company

http://www.thestreet.com/story/10826084/1/barnes-noble-may-sell-company.html

Well, that can't be good...

The above is based upon my opinion... yours may vary!
Distinguished Correspondent
AndyfromVA
0 Kudos

Re: Barnes & Noble May Sell Company

The article mentions Amazon and Microsoft as possible buyers.  I can't see Amazon wanting actual stores but Microsoft maybe.

Wordsmith
h2oskierc
0 Kudos

I didn't know there is a nook without 3G or Wifi...

Inspired Wordsmith
Ozman69
0 Kudos

h2oskierc wrote:

I didn't know there is a nook without 3G or Wifi...

There isn't... I've seen that misreported a number of places.  Reporters really should do some research.

The above is based upon my opinion... yours may vary!
Contributor
Al_S
0 Kudos

I just bought my first ebook reader, the Nook, yesterday.  Now, suddenly, there are lots of questions.  I suppose I'll just have to "stay tuned".:smileyindifferent:

Wordsmith
Tim40744
0 Kudos

"The board came to this decision based on the price of Barnes & Noble shares in the marketplace, which the board believes are now significantly undervalued," Barnes & Noble said in a statement."

Selling the company would help the "significantly undervalued" part? That's why I'm not a business wizard, obviously...

Contributor
jduffy
0 Kudos

I hope someone like Microsoft or another big technology company buys B&N. The Nook is clearly superior to the Kindle and I would like to see my library continue. If B&N closes down, what happens to all our ebooks that are supposed to be available any time?

kp1
Frequent Contributor
kp1
0 Kudos

I was just watching cnbc when I noticed B&N stock soaring.  Then heard the news.  An analyst on the show who watches apple and amazon said b&n is a good company with lots of cash and little debt.  He mentioned google as a possible buyer.

Distinguished Bibliophile
ABthree

"Barnes & Noble's founder and biggest shareholder, Leonard Riggio, has also told the board he would consider being part of a wider investor group that could buy the company.  'I fully support the Board's decision to evaluate strategic alternatives at this time,' Riggio said in a statement. 'Regardless of whether I participate in an investment group that buys the company, I, as well as the entire senior management team, am willing and eager to remain with the company and see it through the challenging years ahead.'"

Sounds like a very diplomatic and longwinded way of saying,

"Sell my company?!?!  Over my dead and bloody body!!!!!!"  :smileywink:

+LORD, preserve the good in their goodness, and+
+in your kindness, make the wicked become good.+
-- St. Basil the Great+
Wordsmith
h2oskierc
0 Kudos

Tim40744 wrote:

Selling the company would help the "significantly undervalued" part? That's why I'm not a business wizard, obviously...

My guess is they looked at the number of outstanding shares, and the market value per share and said, our company is worth more than that...

Frequent Contributor
want2know
0 Kudos

I have bought all my books from B&N and they are all on my Nook.  Can somebody help with some simple instructions about how to get them on my computer/SD card?  Also, do I need to unarchive them first?

Wordsmith
Tim40744
0 Kudos

Forrester analyst James McQuivey said the potential bid by Riggio could signal that hard decisions needed to be made that would be more easily reached as a private company.

"They might feel they want to buy the company back now and take it public later and reap the windfall," he said. "But there aren't a lot of investors who will be that certain about the probable outcome of that bet."  http://www.reuters.com/article/idUSN0318600920100803

I would translate "hard decisions" as being a lot of working people losing their jobs. That's absolutely crappy.

Frequent Contributor
chesspain
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

My guess is they looked at the number of outstanding shares, and the market value per share and said, our company is worth more than that...

I should hope so...since I still have 200 shares that I bought @ 19. 

AlanNJ
Topics: 64
Kudos: 1,518
0 Kudos

As I've said previously my loyalty is to my Nook not to B&N.  If somebody purchases B&N I personally couldn't care less.  I'll just sideload my books and not expect improvements to my Nook.  Then I'll just get the next best thing, whatever that is at the time when necessary.

►Without order there is chaos◄
Doug_Pardee
Kudos: 3,995

Tim40744 wrote:

I would translate "hard decisions" as being a lot of working people losing their jobs. That's absolutely crappy.

It could be. But it could also be "spend a bunch of money on refocusing the company to the future, even though it wreaks holy heck on quarterly results in a manner that would drive public investors away." Most publicly traded companies have two horizons: the quarter and the year. Anything beyond year-end, they worry about when next year arrives. Privately owned companies can afford to see farther into the future.

Distinguished Correspondent
AndyfromVA
0 Kudos

E-books are the future.  B&N needs to refocus its efforts in that direction, even if it means closing most of its stores.

Inspired Contributor
MrBanballow
0 Kudos

Al_S wrote:

I just bought my first ebook reader, the Nook, yesterday.  Now, suddenly, there are lots of questions.  I suppose I'll just have to "stay tuned".:smileyindifferent:

Bought mine on Friday, funny how quickly things can change, eh?

Currently reading: The Complete Sherlock Holmes Vol 1, Grimm's Fairy Tales
Wordsmith
Tim40744
0 Kudos

Doug_Pardee wrote:

Tim40744 wrote:

It could be. But it could also be "spend a bunch of money on refocusing the company to the future, even though it wreaks holy heck on quarterly results in a manner that would drive public investors away." Most publicly traded companies have two horizons: the quarter and the year. Anything beyond year-end, they worry about when next year arrives. Privately owned companies can afford to see farther into the future.

Possibly...B&N's 1st Q. 2011 report is due to be released on August 24th. I would have thought that it would be improved from last quarter but we don't know how the brick and mortar stores are faring. The economy is still crummy and it's likely hitting the physical stores harder than the online business.

Reader 4
ArmchairThomist
0 Kudos

Re: Barnes & Noble May Sell Company -- huh?

OK, so I've invested quite a bit of money into the Nook. Many of the e-books I've purchased are not from B&N but most of them are. Not to mention the $250 "before bargain basement pricing" price tag, plus leather case, etc. It amounts to hundreds of dollars. I have paper books sitting on my book shelf that aren't going anywhere no matter what happens to B&N. Let's cut to the chase. If B&N goes under, and my Nook goes under, am I simply out the money I spent on the e-books from B&N or will they develop a process so that we can extract the epubs from the proprietary B&N encryption / digital rights protection and use the books on another device?

If that happens and is a trend in e-publishing, that's for the birds. It doesn't matter what vendor we're talking about -- B&N, Apple, Amazon. I buy books to gain knowledge and for study, I don't read dime store romance novels. B&N has always been a source of substantive books over just about any other book vendor with bricks and mortar stores. If we've been sold a bill of goods just to prop up a failing company, forget that. Amazon is far WORSE as far as vendor lock-in...can you imagine spending ten years collecting an e-book library from Amazon only to have the format go away when Amazon disappears or the proprietary format is no longer supported? That's why I could never go with a Kindle and I thought B&N was more trustworthy than that, but we'll see.

If B&N fails to support the Nook because of some financial break down, and refuses to give customers the means to extract their e-books so that they can be used on any e-reader device, I foresee the makings of a pretty solid class action law suit.

Inspired Bibliophile
FrogAlum

Re: Barnes & Noble May Sell Company -- huh?

ArmchairThomist wrote:

If B&N fails to support the Nook because of some financial break down, and refuses to give customers the means to extract their e-books so that they can be used on any e-reader device, I foresee the makings of a pretty solid class action law suit.

First, there isn't even a hint that they will fail as a company...  Let's assume for a moment that they do...

1. You were never promised forever with either the Nook or the digital content.  Check the T&C and all the legalese, nope, no forever promise...
  2. You don't own the books, you've licensed them.
  3. Good luck collecting on a class action suit if it did come off AND you won, unsecured creditors go wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy down list in a bankruptcy...  You can check with A Rod on that one...
  4. Google how to crack the DRM if all that comes to pass, it's not difficult and I doubt B&N will come after you...
  5. It's possible that other eReaders will take up the B&N standard and the books will be available to read on other brands.