Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

New User
kimberb2
0 Kudos

Barnes & Noble books vs. Amazon books

I just got a color Nook for my birthday and already love it, but I also got a gift card for Amazon, can I download eBooks from Amazon onto my Nook?

Correspondent
Byteguy

Re: Barnes & Noble books vs. Amazon books

[ Edited ]

Amazon uses a different format for their Kindle reader.  It won't work with your Nook.  Sorry.

Use that gift card to buy a cool cover for your Nook, instead.

So you know... here are the specs from the Nook Color tech page:

Supported File Types****

Load these popular formats for eBooks, graphics, audio, and other file types from your computer or microSD card.

• EPUB (including Non or Adobe DRM)
  • PDF
  • Other documents: XLS, DOC, PPT, PPS, TXT, DOCM, XLSM, PPTM, PPSX, PPSM, DOCX, XLX, PPTX
  • Graphics: JPG, GIF, PNG, BMP
  • Audio: MP3, MP4, AAC
  • Video: MP4

Not Supported: LIT, AMZ (Amazon), LRZ/LRX (Sony) 

Distinguished Scribe
Ya_Ya
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

kimberb2 wrote:

I just got a color Nook for my birthday and already love it, but I also got a gift card for Amazon, can I download eBooks from Amazon onto my Nook?

No, not on a vanilla out-of-the-box NOOK Color.

NOOK reads DRM protected epubs from B&N, Kobo, Sony, (pretty much anywhere that sells .epubs except iBooks) but it can't read the proprietary .azw format that Amazon's books are sold in.  If the books aren't DRM protected they can be converted, but I don't believe Amazon sells many (any?) non-DRMed ebooks.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The workarounds: 

• There are less than legal ways to strip the DRM from ebooks and convert them, but I don't think that's what you are asking. 
  • Alternately, you could gain root access of your NOOK Color (called rooting) and install the Kindle app, which would allow you to use your Amazon gift cards for ebooks - but that voids your B&N manufacturer's warranty.

You can find a lot of info about rooting on the NOOK Color boards.

Doug_Pardee
Kudos: 4,005

We-e-e-l-l-l... there are some Amazon e-books that don't have DRM, and you could convert those to EPUB using Calibre. You can identify them by the line:

Simultaneous Device Usage: Unlimited

in the Product Details section. These are kind-of hard to find, though, because it depends on the publisher. There's an attempt to tag those e-books "drmfree", but so far that hasn't gotten very far. At the moment it looks like only 385 e-book titles carry that tag, when the number of DRM-free titles at Amazon is probably a lot bigger than that.

Some gross counts, searching by DRM-free publisher:

• 545 O'Reilly
  • 508 Smashwords
  • 321 Microsoft
  • 48 by J.A. Konrath, published by AmazonEncore
  • 2 Baen

Personally, I'd just buy something non-bookish from Amazon (DVDs, yellowcake uranium, whatever), or a paper book.

Inspired Correspondent
Htom_Serveaux

Doug_Pardee wrote: 

Personally, I'd just buy something non-bookish from Amazon (DVDs, yellowcake uranium, whatever), or a paper book.

The yellowcake uranium is back in stock?  They've been sold out for the longest time, really putting a crimp in my summer projects.  Thanks for the heads up!

Distinguished Correspondent
F14Scott
0 Kudos

Swap your gift card. You'll take about a 10% hit, but you can buy what you want. https://www.plasticjungle.com/