Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

New User
CuriousInConnecticut
0 Kudos

Batteries

On either one of the Nooks, can you purchase extra batteries so that you can always have one fully charged and ready to go? If so, anyone know how much an extra battery and the charger might cost? Approximately? Your opinion on the Color vs. the Original? Want to read books, email, maybe once in a while a magazine, (facebook, if it allows it) and that is pretty much it. Anyone's opinions would be welcome. I am heading to the store this afternoon (in about an hour) to make the purchase and would appreciate input before I go if possible. Thanks all! I do appreciate it!!
Inspired Wordsmith
donc13
0 Kudos

Re: Batteries

CuriousInConnecticut wrote:
On either one of the Nooks, can you purchase extra batteries so that you can always have one fully charged and ready to go? If so, anyone know how much an extra battery and the charger might cost? Approximately? Your opinion on the Color vs. the Original? Want to read books, email, maybe once in a while a magazine, (facebook, if it allows it) and that is pretty much it. Anyone's opinions would be welcome. I am heading to the store this afternoon (in about an hour) to make the purchase and would appreciate input before I go if possible. Thanks all! I do appreciate it!!

For the nook classic, yes.   For the nook color, no.

I believe the extra battery for the nook classic is about $30

Funny....I just looked here for the exact price, I don't find the nook battery listed, but Best Buy carries them for $29.95 and Amazon has them for $19.99

---------
Don
Distinguished Scribe
Ya_Ya
0 Kudos

Re: Batteries

CuriousInConnecticut wrote:
Want to read books, email, maybe once in a while a magazine, (facebook, if it allows it) and that is pretty much it. Anyone's opinions would be welcome. 

For what you want to do, you probably want the NOOKColor.

NOOK 3G/Wifi is fantastic for black & white text books.  I love it.  But the web browser is slow, clunky and frustrating to use more than when it is an absolute last resort.  That's mostly a limitation of the e-ink, I presume, but I wouldn't want to check email very regularly on it or try to use facebook from it either.  Some people report that they do, (and I have, don't get me wrong, it all works) but it's very slow and the interface is clunky.

Most magazines are available for NOOKColor, fewer for NOOK.  Unless you're looking at a New Yorker-like text mostly magazine, you're going to lose a lot of the experience.

If you only wanted to read books, I'd say the NOOK.  But if you really want any of the other functionallity, you'll probably like NOOKColor more.  Even though I'm personally apprehensive about a backlit screen for long-term reading, those that have both say that the NOOKColor screen is much less hard on the eyes than they expected.  Some have said they find at as or more comfortable than their e-ink NOOKs, in fact.

You can't (at this time) replace the battery in NOOKColor, though.  NOOK replacement batteries are about $20.  Car chargers are available for both, so that could help with keeping it charged up.  

Enjoy whichever you buy.