Frequent Contributor
KarlaDaniels
0 Kudos

Battery

i was just on the phone with customer support.  As some of you know, i bought the wi-fi on Friday and went back to B&N Tuesday and exchanged for the 3G.  All I did there in the store was register the 3G and reload my books.  I then came home and plugged it in.  I unplugged it yesterday  morning and have used it about 3 hours since then, which does include about 40 or 45 minutes connected with 3G.  I have the screen brightness at 23%, the sleep and touchscreen timers set low, airplane mode on, I turn pages with the swipe method.  I checked about 2 hours ago and it was at 41%!!!!!!    Yet I am told it lasts 10 days?  I don't know what is going on, why it is going down so quickly, but they are sending me a new battery.  Hopefully that will take care of the problem.  Anyone have any ideas if I am doing something wrong or if it is a mechanical problem?  Also, I am getting confliting answers on this:  some say never charge it till you get the message to, some say plug it in anytime you want to save the battery.  Which is it?  Any help greatly appreciated. 

To travel the world without leaving home, READ A BOOK!
Inspired Bibliophile
LarryOnLI

Re: Battery

[ Edited ]

NOOK uses a lithium polymer battery.

The battery is rated for a given number of full charge cycles (I don't remember the number of charges the NOOK battery is rated for).

The thing to remember is that if you let your NOOK discharge completely and recharge it, let your NOOK discharge to 50% and then recharge it twice, or let your NOOK drain to 75% and recharge it 4 times, all count as one full charge cycle.

So if you are one of those people who plug your NOOK in every night to charge, you are not adversely impacting your battery life.

There is also a recommendation out there to let your NOOK occasionally (every 3 or 4 months) drain to less than 20% before charging completely. This is to allow the charging circuitry/battery meter to correctly calibrate itself.

Allowing a lithium battery to discharge completely (deep discharge) could result in the battery becoming un-chargeable. The NOOK will turn itself off before the battery enters a deep discharge state.

The NOOKs battery meter/charging circuitry needs to be calibrated so that it "learns" where the high/low points of the battery are. To achieve this calibration you need to charge completely, and then allow to drain to the point where NOOK asks you to plug it in (some have recommended that you allow it to drain to the point that NOOK shuts itself off at about 5% of charge remaining).

Distinguished Bibliophile
ABthree
0 Kudos

@KarlaDaniels

I don't think that you're doing anything wrong, or that there's anything wrong with your Nook.  It takes several charging cycles for the charge metering circuit in your Nook to produce reliable numbers.  And the 10 day estimate is like EPA mileage estimates on new cars, and just as reliable.  :smileyhappy:

For the next couple of times, read your Nook until you get the "Recharge Now" message -- it's a placard that will appear on the screen when the charge gets down to about 17%.  Then charge until the amber light goes out, read and repeat.  You'll soon see how often you need to charge.

As a point of reference, my Nook is a little over a year old, and I read it 2-3 hours a day; it's usuallly in Airplane Mode.   I recharge it every 3-5 days.

+LORD, preserve the good in their goodness, and+
+in your kindness, make the wicked become good.+
-- St. Basil the Great+
Wordsmith
shilohMD
0 Kudos

LarryOnLI wrote:

The battery is rated for a given number of full charge cycles (I don't remember the number of charges the NOOK battery is rated for).

The thing to remember is that if you let your NOOK discharge completely and recharge it, let your NOOK discharge to 50% and then recharge it twice, or let your NOOK drain to 75% and recharge it 4 times, all count as one full charge cycle.

[snip]

I've read your excellent post several times...good info...thanks!

I just read it again...and I want to be clear...I believe you meant to say in the paragraph above is that each of the examples you gave counts as one full charge cycle...yes?

"A bookstore is one of the only pieces of evidence we have that people are still thinking" [Jerry Seinfeld]
Inspired Bibliophile
Desert_Brat
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

KarlaDaniels wrote:

... which does include about 40 or 45 minutes connected with 3G.

I have noticed that using the 3G or the browser does tend to drain a little faster. But really no faster than any of my other devices. And I sure as heck don't have to charge the nook as often as my laptop or netbook. The biggest culprit is that color touch screen, though, and B&N states this. So just set it to the fastest time out. You can always tap once on the "N" logo to turn it on, or tap twice to go to the home row tabs (icons).

I haven't quite figured out how B&N did their battery rating for the classic models. Maybe it's like my cell phone will go 14 days in standby mode. I don't know. I did notice, they changed the wording on the color models to be something like UP TO 8 hours of USAGE time. But I don't think 10 days is rated on usage time.

I'd put the new battery away for now. I also noticed that after a few charges my battery time seems longer. And I also know you can't really depend on what the device says. The battery circuit isn't well calibrated, but it gives you a bit of a heads-up.

Do take a look at the battery shim thread, just in case you start having the same issues. I don't know if it's a flaw in the battery compartment on the nook frame, or if the batteries themselves aren't up to spec size wise. But it's worth knowing and something to try if there is an issue. I've had no problems with mine.

There were also a couple of books out on using the nook, but the one I liked best was by Jim Cheshire, "Using Nook."

My only negative drawback, and not much of one at that, is the shelving. You have to shelve each book individually. On the color, you can open a shelf and select all the books from a list. But then I have so many books now, that shelving just wasn't a good idea. So now I just have them displayed in Most Recent format, and only a couple of shelves, one is Reading Now.

Hide Archives is also a very nice feature on the classic models that isn't available on the color version. You can get rid of the grayed-out books in the listings with this. But you can also "go to" any shelf.

Soooooo ... how do you like your new 3G model? For me, it was a world apart from the other wi-fi only model. Somehow things just seemed easier on it, although the only difference is the 3G. But it just seemed like it opened things up more. I even bought a book while we were stopped at a gas station on the way to Moab, Utah, with the Miata car club.

Do take a look at the AT&T site for 3G coverage. That way you know that when something isn't quite right with the 3G, it's due to lack of coverage on AT&T's part and not your nook. Usually, if my little cell phone has bars, the nook has bars.

Wishing you a lot of happy reading.

P.S. -- The other thing I love about the 3G is the Daily tab. I love reading the Day Book. That's not available on the color version unless you go through the web browser and bookmark it.

A lifelong reader, now may my life be long enough to catch up on my reading!
Frequent Contributor
KarlaDaniels
0 Kudos

Thanks so much for all the advice guys!  I feel much better now.  I think I know better how to, manage my Nook now.  It is just I really enjoy my Nook and love it so much, and I am really not in a position to go out and spend another $200 for another one if something happens so I really want to take care of it and protect it.  It was getting to the point that I was feeling guilty about even USING my Nook because I thought I was doing something to damage it!  Now I feel more relaxed and I am just going to enjoy reading whenever  I want to.  What is the point of having it if I am afraid of using it, right?   Happy reading to all, and let's all enjoy our Nooks!  

To travel the world without leaving home, READ A BOOK!
Inspired Bibliophile
LarryOnLI
0 Kudos

shilohMD wrote:

LarryOnLI wrote:

[snip]

I've read your excellent post several times...good info...thanks!

I just read it again...and I want to be clear...I believe you meant to say in the paragraph above is that each of the examples you gave counts as one full charge cycle...yes?

On re-reading that paragraph, it does look a little awkward.

To restate it:

1) If you let your Nook discharge completely, and then recharge it. You have used 1 charge cycle of the battery.

2) If you let you NOOK discharge to the 50% level and then recharge it. You have used half of a charge cycle. If you do this twice you have used 1 full charge cycle.

3) If over the course of ten days your NOOK discharges fully and you recharge it on day 10, you will use 1 recharge cycle.

4) If your NOOK loses 10% of it's charge every day, and you recharge it every night, you will have used 1 charge cycle up after 10 days.

New User
janlarch
0 Kudos

I have had my Nook Color for about two weeks.  The battery charge is terrible!  I have tried everything.  Making sure WiFi is off, etc.  when I received the Nook (as a gift) I had to charge it up the next morning.  My mom has the original Nook and her battery stays charged forever. give me some hints!  JL

Wordsmith
gandalf1369
0 Kudos

janlarch wrote:

I have had my Nook Color for about two weeks.  The battery charge is terrible!  I have tried everything.  Making sure WiFi is off, etc.  when I received the Nook (as a gift) I had to charge it up the next morning.  My mom has the original Nook and her battery stays charged forever. give me some hints!  JL

You posted on the wrong message board.  This board is for the original nook (black & white).  Post your question on the NookColor technical support board at: http://bookclubs.barnesandnoble.com/t5/NOOKcolor-Technical-Support/bd-p/NOOKcolortechnicalsupport - I'm sure you will get more responses.

**** He Who Dies With The Most Toys Wins ****