Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. On May 1, we’re saying goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Contributor
jeff58
0 Kudos

Best Bible download????

Can anyone help me with the most user friendly Bible download??? I am a MInister  and some comments have been negative about certain Bibles. Is there one that is quick and easy to download and use? Thanks

Inspired Contributor
skinny12
0 Kudos

Re: Best Bible download????

I downloaded the English Standard Version and the Holman Christian Standard Bible. Both are/were free from the B&N store. I found the ESV easier to navigate than the HCSB. With the ESV you can select a book/chapter easier than you can on the HCSB. 

Inspired Contributor
JohnP51
0 Kudos

I have two:

The Holy Bible English Standard Version (ESV) 

Which is free and a very good Bible.

I also have:

Holy Bible (NIV) 

It is not free but has a better search function.

John

"Books are for people who wish they were somewhere else." ~ Mark Twain
Wordsmith
mbratch
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

I've tried several. I don't know if you have a strong translation preference, but I can say that I found the KJV, ASV, and ESV the easiest to navigate. Their TOC is organized by book. You touch the book, then at the beginning of each book you have a mini chapter TOC you can touch to get to the desired chapter. Page flipping to the verse is then quick.

I wanted the NASB but avoided downloading it due to complaints. But I finally did it and I'm glad I did. I didn't find it nearly as bad as the complaints indicated. You do have to wait a few seconds after you open it before doing anything, though, for it to get all preloaded I think. But then it responds well if you give it that bit of time up front.

The main navigational issues with most of the others are:

• Some (such as NKJV, NIV, and NIV Study Bible) list each book/chapter in the table of contents as a way to get to a given chapter of a book, then you just quickly scan to the verse. This is only an issue because of the way the TOC is formatted. It's hard to touch the book/chapter name in the TOC without the reader going to the prior page. It's twitchy. The Ampified Bible is also organized this way, but seems to be a little better behaved.
  • The NASB, for example, has the TOC organized just by book, not each chapter. Which makes for an easier to navigate TOC. But then you go to the book and you have to scan to get to the chapter you want. There's no chapter specific TOC selectability. A lot more page turning to get to the chapter/verse! I wish it were organized like the KJV and ASV. Also, the NASB version I downloaded does not have the footnotes. Not a huge deal, but in my mind the version isn't "complete" without them.
I have not had any problems with overly sluggish page turning, etc, in any of these translations.

Overall, they all are usable Bible "readers". In the near future, I'd like to see an actual Bible reader program published which actually has Bible study tools built in as add-ons, like Greek/Hebrew dictionary or whatever, and better footnoting/cross-referencing. I'm sure with the SDK available, there will be some, along with a number of other reference works/materials.

I'd recommend downloading a sample of a couple of your favorite translations and see how they "feel".

[EDIT: I downloaded and tried the ESV :smileyhappy:]

Frequent Contributor
Mela08

I like this one.  It isn't actually illustrated.  It is easy to navigate.  Just click "go to" choose the book and then the chapter.  From there it is easy to scroll to the verse.  I no longer have a Nook Classic.  I can just touch the chapter on the screen of my Nook Color.  I'm not sure how well that works on Nook Classic.  It's on 0.99 so it's work a try.  I really like it.

http://search.barnesandnoble.com/The-King-James-Version/MobileReference/e/9781605011134/?itm=1&USRI=...

Inspired Wordsmith
Colleen_Rose
0 Kudos

Mela,

Thanks for the heads up. I was having a hard time finding a Catholic bible for my nook.  A review said this version has the required books added, which works for me. Thanks again.

Colleen

Optimist: Someone who isn't sure whether life is a tragedy or a comedy but is tickled silly just to be in the play. ~Robert Brault
Wordsmith
mbratch
0 Kudos

A correction to my post above: the NASB translation does have each chapter linked in the TOC. They're separate from the Book links in the TOC.

Contributor
Mac79pr
0 Kudos

Anyone here know of a good spanish bible reina valera / rvr 1960?

New User
dandylawn
0 Kudos

is the ESV for the Nook?  and .. is it the version WITH notes or without?  I've got the WITH NOTES version, and can't seem to find anything that lets me select the chapter at all.  i can select the BOOK of the Bible I want.. but then have to go page by page if I want to get to Chapter 50 let's say.  Very slow.

New User
ZsaZsa70
0 Kudos

I just took you guys advice and downloaded the ESV free one , anythoughts on the Holy Bible KJV? I want to find something I can navaigate quickly in church