Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Correspondent
growlingraven

Best Buy price cut and WI-FI only Nook

Looks like you can pre-order the WI-FI only version of the NOOK for 149.00 at Best Buy. And they've cut the proce of the original to 199.  I guess I was a tad too early in buying mine, but at least it looks like if I want a second, I'll be more likely to do that now.

Distinguished Bibliophile
ABthree
0 Kudos

Re: Best Buy price cut and WI-FI only Nook

Yep.  Here's the evidence for both:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp;jsessionid=6CA83F878DF7A144AE7E0ED26EFE4B63.bbolsp-app01-10?...

+LORD, preserve the good in their goodness, and+
+in your kindness, make the wicked become good.+
-- St. Basil the Great+
Bibliophile
Jenniisme
0 Kudos

How is it possible for BN to sell it at 199?

Contributor
Mally29
0 Kudos

The BN one for $199 is the wi fi and 3G. The one for $149 (which is now listed on BN as well) is $149.

flyingtoastr
Topics: 55
Kudos: 2,980
0 Kudos

Jenniisme wrote:

How is it possible for BN to sell it at 199?

Razor thin margins.

Frequent Contributor
bilbravo
0 Kudos

So now that the $149 and $199 prices are on the B&N website, I don't see the $50 gift card any longer.  I suppose even though it was "buy a nook in the month of June" that it's no available any longer?  I'd definitely buy my wife a wifi only nook for $149 if the gift card was still an option.  And I mean I would order it RIGHT NOW.  :smileyvery-happy:

- Zach
Frequent Contributor
svsu
0 Kudos

They are also getting to roll out firmware version 1.4

Im glad to see BN take the ereader seriously.

Doug_Pardee
Kudos: 4,015
0 Kudos

flyingtoastr wrote:

Razor thin margins.

Probably not all that thin. When the NOOK was going through FCC approval, and its innards were exposed for all to see on the Web, a number of folks commented how the NOOK's design is considerably less expensive to produce than the competition's.

Aside from the E-Ink screen, there really aren't any expensive parts in there.

flyingtoastr
Topics: 55
Kudos: 2,980
0 Kudos

Doug_Pardee wrote:
Probably not all that thin. When the NOOK was going through FCC approval, and its innards were exposed for all to see on the Web, a number of folks commented how the NOOK's design is considerably less expensive to produce than the competition's.

Aside from the E-Ink screen, there really aren't any expensive parts in there.

True, probably not terribly thin. But the e-ink screen is pretty darn expensive alone (between $60 and $70 last time I heard), so they're definitely cracking down on their margins with the hardware.

It's why employees are strongly encouraged to throw in lots of add-ons when people are buying a nook. :smileywink:

Frequent Contributor
cynthiaoh
0 Kudos

I am a little upset -- I have not had mine for even a few months yet and the price dropped by $50.00 and I missed the gift card offer by a week as well.

I kind of wish they would offer something to those of us who missed both these opportunities.  Maybe a coupon or discount on other ebooks or something.