Frequent Contributor
psjcal
0 Kudos

Re: Best Buy to Sell Nook, Target Bags Kindle?

Spoke w/manager of Fullerton, CA B&N last week; they are expecting to receive a special display for nooks & nook accessories 4/15 -- he didn't know when the nooks & supplies would arrive for the display. Looks like Best Buy may have them for sale before the B&N -- strange. :smileymad:

Inspired Bibliophile
FrogAlum
0 Kudos

psjcal wrote:

Spoke w/manager of Fullerton, CA B&N last week; they are expecting to receive a special display for nooks & nook accessories 4/15 -- he didn't know when the nooks & supplies would arrive for the display. Looks like Best Buy may have them for sale before the B&N -- strange. :smileymad:

That store is a 3 minute walk for me!  The display is up but as of yesterday still no accessories they have had the nooks themselves for a while.

Inspired Wordsmith
icebike
0 Kudos

So, Bridgeport Circle, or Hillsboro Place?   :smileywink:

Distinguished Wordsmith
DiAnneInDover
0 Kudos

I wish places like Best Buy and Target would just simply sell BOTH.  I hate all of the scheming and back-door wheeling and dealing that companies do in order to sell one brand exclusively.  It happens with everything from medicine to sodapop.  Amazon will give Best Buy a higher percentage of the sale as long as they agree to not sell any other (dedicated) eReader.  But all that does is irritate the customer.  Give the customers a choice and forget about receiving a higher percentage of the sales by agreeing to only one brand.  If customers can find what they want, they'll buy it.  If not, you won't sell anything.

For awhile, Sam's Club sold Kindle.  I saw them, they were okay, but nothing I wanted.  Now, they no longer offer Kindle, but sell Sony Reader.  (After trying one of those for five minutes, I knew I never wanted to own one.)   Next, they'll probably make a deal with Nook.  But give me the choice.  Selling the Kindle  or the Sony Reader didn't make me give money to Sam's Club.  It made me drive 45 minutes to the nearest B&N store to buy what I really wanted.

Distinguished Wordsmith
DiAnneInDover
0 Kudos

When I purchased a 16 GB iPod Nano at Sam's, I got it for $60 less than what they were selling it for because they decided to no longer carry the white version of it, so it was their last one.  They do discount all iPod products (not by much, I think it is 10%).  I'm sure they have an agreement with apple on the 10% discount, but based on your information, I'm surprised they are able to get away with clearance pricing on the models they no longer wish to sell.  Looks like I got lucky!

Frequent Contributor
Alley415
0 Kudos

DiAnneInDover wrote:

I wish places like Best Buy and Target would just simply sell BOTH.  I hate all of the scheming and back-door wheeling and dealing that companies do in order to sell one brand exclusively.  It happens with everything from medicine to sodapop.  Amazon will give Best Buy a higher percentage of the sale as long as they agree to not sell any other (dedicated) eReader.  But all that does is irritate the customer.  Give the customers a choice and forget about receiving a higher percentage of the sales by agreeing to only one brand.  If customers can find what they want, they'll buy it.  If not, you won't sell anything.

For awhile, Sam's Club sold Kindle.  I saw them, they were okay, but nothing I wanted.  Now, they no longer offer Kindle, but sell Sony Reader.  (After trying one of those for five minutes, I knew I never wanted to own one.)   Next, they'll probably make a deal with Nook.  But give me the choice.  Selling the Kindle  or the Sony Reader didn't make me give money to Sam's Club.  It made me drive 45 minutes to the nearest B&N store to buy what I really wanted.

Amazon has never sold the Kindle outside of their own store.  I think what you saw was the Sonys which Sam's Club has been carrying for years.  They also had a couple of lesser known brands when I was there a few months ago.  That said, Target is the obvious choice to carry the Kindle.  They have had a business relationship with Amazon for years.

Frequent Contributor
Alley415
0 Kudos

DiAnneInDover wrote:

When I purchased a 16 GB iPod Nano at Sam's, I got it for $60 less than what they were selling it for because they decided to no longer carry the white version of it, so it was their last one.  They do discount all iPod products (not by much, I think it is 10%).  I'm sure they have an agreement with apple on the 10% discount, but based on your information, I'm surprised they are able to get away with clearance pricing on the models they no longer wish to sell.  Looks like I got lucky!

This is a much different situation.  Apple was clearancing out the old model in your situation.  That is not at all uncommon and they do it on their own Store as well. 

Distinguished Wordsmith
DiAnneInDover
0 Kudos

It was definitely the Kindle and they sold it in the store (and I think on the website) for over two years.  They had a big display next to the books and there was no doubt what the product was.  I'm not sure when they switched to the Sony Reader but I think it has only been since Christmas or so.  They now sell the Sony Pocket and Sony Touch.  But before that, they had the big white Kindle with the with keyboard buttons.  I think they carried that up until Christmas. 

For as much as I like Sam's, they are the master of "I'll seel your product exclusively as long as I get a better deal" and I'm sure that's why Sony is there now instead of Kindle.

Inspired Correspondent
jynclr
0 Kudos

DiAnneInDover wrote:

It was definitely the Kindle and they sold it in the store (and I think on the website) for over two years.  They had a big display next to the books and there was no doubt what the product was.  I'm not sure when they switched to the Sony Reader but I think it has only been since Christmas or so.  They now sell the Sony Pocket and Sony Touch.  But before that, they had the big white Kindle with the with keyboard buttons.  I think they carried that up until Christmas. 

For as much as I like Sam's, they are the master of "I'll seel your product exclusively as long as I get a better deal" and I'm sure that's why Sony is there now instead of Kindle.

Did some research on this.

I suspect the Sam's Club you saw the Kindle at was a test store to see how well the Kindle would sell in a brick and mortar retail situation. Other than possibly that, the Kindle has never been available anywhere other than Amazon.com.

New User
LegendMN
0 Kudos

New User
LegendMN
0 Kudos

Alley415 wrote:

FrogAlum wrote:

stemyn wrote:

I really don't see BN or Amazon to allow any perks with the purchase of the Nook or Kindle.  The story says the price will be the same.  Just like Apple controls the price of the I-Phone.  I would not count on getting a $25 gift card with the purchase. 

The gift card is done all the time with iPods and X-box and wii...  BN (or Amazon for that matter) has no more control over that than Apple does.  Look around and shop, you'll see it.

I disagree.  I have a friend who is a manager for Best Buy.  While they can offer additional "bonuses" for iPods, they must be iTunes gift cards and they must be approved by Apple.  In addition, they can't give any kind of discounting for any other APple product.  Even when they sell the display models, Apple dictates the price.  What is even more interesting is the CS reps who work in the APple department attend training that is conducted by Apple so that they are knowledgeable about the product.  I am sure that if B&N or Amazon wants to dictate the pricing or other aspects of the product sales, they can do it.

Not true. I'm sorry to tell you that your friend is either misinformed or is just making it up. I work for Best Buy (corporate headquarters) and Apple does not have that much control. If you look at the current ad you would see we are running a deal that differs from what your friend told you.

Inspired Bibliophile
FrogAlum
0 Kudos

I had figured since the official launch date for the nook @ BB was on a Sunday, it would be advertised in the weekly ad, nope they are spotlighting the Sony eReaders...

Distinguished Scribe
sub_rosa
0 Kudos

No Nook feature?  Corporate hacks.  (just kidding dude)

I looked through the weekly ad - BB has the 8GB Ipod Nano for $149.99 and a bundle with some cheap looking accessories for $180 or so.  Big effing deal - Target has the same 8GB Nano advertised in their weekly ad for $145.00.

Don't buy from Random House, Macmillan, or Penguin until the agency model is COMPLETELY dead.
Contributor
bleeman
0 Kudos

The Nook is showing as available on the main Best Buy page, but when you follow the link it shows as only available online.  So they may not have put it in this week's ad because they don't have them in the store yet.

--Bill
Scribe
03FLHT2
0 Kudos

I was at BB yesterday killing time and talk with one of the Mangers and he said they have in stock and it would be about a week before they were out.  Thought they were waiting on some additional stuff from B&N>

Inspired Contributor
wendyr67
0 Kudos

I went into BB today, in excited anticipation of a big Nook display. Big disappointment. :smileysad:   Nothing yet.

Bibliophile
laurieb52
0 Kudos

Went to Best Buy today in MHC,NC. They had the nooks available for sale, 2 nooks on display, 3 types of M Edge nook covers, the nook batteries, an MEdge light, and the power adapters. Right next to the Sony Ereaders.

Life's a chair of bowlies...and it's all about Plan B!
AlanNJ
Topics: 64
Kudos: 1,528
0 Kudos

Other than more product visibility I don't see the advantage to this if there's a B&N already in the area.  We have a B&N less than 2 miles from a Best Buy.  I can see and touch a Nook at B&N. 

I can only see the advantage of Best Buy if there's no B&N around.  Then again, I'm not a marketing genius.

►Without order there is chaos◄
Distinguished Wordsmith
DiAnneInDover
0 Kudos

I think the "product visibility" is precisely what they are going for.  First, there are far more Best Buy stores than B&N stores (I have two Best Buys within 10 minutes, but I had to drive 50 miles to get my Nook at the closest B&N store). 

But secondly, there are a lot of folks who go into Best Buy all the time who would never step foot into a bookstore.  But they bring their families with them.  Sure, Bobby might not be interested in books, but when he begs his dad to take him to get a new Wii game at Best Buy and his dad is bored out of his mind and starts meandering through the store and finds the Nook display...that opens up the possibility of a sale to his dad who might not have known about them. 

I think "the more the better" when it comes to good products being available. 

Frequent Contributor
Taubin
0 Kudos

AlanNJ wrote:

Other than more product visibility I don't see the advantage to this if there's a B&N already in the area.  We have a B&N less than 2 miles from a Best Buy.  I can see and touch a Nook at B&N. 

I can only see the advantage of Best Buy if there's no B&N around.  Then again, I'm not a marketing genius.

My local B&N is literally less than a thousand yards from the BBY.  I guess the only plus side is, my local B&N doesn't seem to carry any accessories in store, so I can get those at BBY. 

The only other advantage I can see, is for people that have a BBY credit card and want to toss their Nook on that? Maybe?