Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Distinguished Scribe
sub_rosa
0 Kudos

Re: Best Buy to Sell Nook, Target Bags Kindle?

Whoa, nice scoop Frog.  I hadn't hear about this.

The Best Buy near my house is in the same shopping mall as B&N.  So I wonder - will B&N allow Best Buy to discount the Nook, or will they play the agency model card and dictate the price?  I'm guessing the latter.  Best Buy also sells Apple computers, at our store anyway - so the Nook will compete directly.  My guess is the Nook will not sell well at Best Buy - there's too many flashier, splashier gadgets making noise in that cacophony of lights and sound that is Best Buy.  Probably the same for Kindle at Target - it's a family store where they sell blenders and underwear and garbage cans.  Who knows...  But $259.00 for an eReader - when you've got the Wii and Guitar Hero and Nintendo DS and flatscreen TV's flashing and making noise?  Hard for me to believe it's gonna fly.

Don't buy from Random House, Macmillan, or Penguin until the agency model is COMPLETELY dead.
Scribe
lkmiller
0 Kudos

Cool!  Even though I'm happy with my nook, I'd still like to see a Kindle.  Hopefully they actually have functioning display units.  I've wanted to try out the Sony Reader Touch Edition, but I have yet to see any of the display units in any retail location which actually worked.

Correspondent
rfruth
0 Kudos

This is great !

N1E - HD+ soon ?
Frequent Contributor
Alley415
0 Kudos

This will be interesting.  I wonder where they will place them.  Our Best Buy has a pretty good size Apple Selection so it could end up with the nook relatively close to the iPad.  For Target, ours has a nice sized Sony display for the eReaders so the Kindle may end up close to it. 

Scribe
JdiennoPSU
0 Kudos

Very cool!  Nice one frog!  This should be interesting.

- JJ

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain.

FACT: Childhood cancers are the #1 disease killer in children - more than asthma, cystic fibrosis, diabetes, and pediatric AIDS combined.
Inspired Bibliophile
FrogAlum
0 Kudos

JdiennoPSU wrote:

Very cool!  Nice one frog!  This should be interesting.

It really should be, these two retailers use many of the same marketing strategies for electronics... For example, IF they sell for a static $259 (think iPods, game systems where the retailer has no control over the price :smileywink:  ) these both like to throw in $25 gift cards, for example, per purchase of items about this price.

This could really be the move that shoves eReaders toward the front of the class for that shopping season.

Inspired Wordsmith
icebike
0 Kudos

FrogAlum wrote:

Best Buy to Sell Nook, Target Bags Kindle?

Now this should be interesting!

This is pretty good for the nook.  Not so good for Kindle.

Best buy are techno nerds and will have a better chance of helping users.

At Target, once they tell you the price, they have exhausted their technical knowledge.

I'd rather buy from a geek.

Reader 2
stemyn
0 Kudos

I really don't see BN or Amazon to allow any perks with the purchase of the Nook or Kindle.  The story says the price will be the same.  Just like Apple controls the price of the I-Phone.  I would not count on getting a $25 gift card with the purchase. 

Inspired Wordsmith
icebike
0 Kudos

stemyn wrote:

I really don't see BN or Amazon to allow any perks with the purchase of the Nook or Kindle.  The story says the price will be the same.  Just like Apple controls the price of the I-Phone.  I would not count on getting a $25 gift card with the purchase. 

B&N can't control the price of the nook sold by others.  They can try, but basically its illegal.

That being said, they may negotiate a very small margin for those dealers such that they don't have much leeway.

Bestbuy wants to get you in the store.  They might loss-lead the nook a tad and sell you extended warranties.  

Inspired Bibliophile
FrogAlum
0 Kudos

stemyn wrote:

The gift card is done all the time with iPods and X-box and wii...  BN (or Amazon for that matter) has no more control over that than Apple does.  Look around and shop, you'll see it.

Inspired Bibliophile
FrogAlum
0 Kudos

icebike wrote:

stemyn wrote:

B&N can't control the price of the nook sold by others.  They can try, but basically its illegal.

That being said, they may negotiate a very small margin for those dealers such that they don't have much leeway.

Bestbuy wants to get you in the store.  They might loss-lead the nook a tad and sell you extended warranties.  

Someone needs to tell Apple, Microsoft, Nintendo, etc. they are breaking the law then, this happens all the time.

Distinguished Scribe
sub_rosa
0 Kudos

icebike wrote:

Like Frog, I'd like to hear more elaboration on this claim.  B&N cannot control the price that I sell my Nook for - definitely.  But Best Buy?  Not so sure.

Don't buy from Random House, Macmillan, or Penguin until the agency model is COMPLETELY dead.
Frequent Contributor
Alley415
0 Kudos

FrogAlum wrote:

stemyn wrote:

The gift card is done all the time with iPods and X-box and wii...  BN (or Amazon for that matter) has no more control over that than Apple does.  Look around and shop, you'll see it.

I disagree.  I have a friend who is a manager for Best Buy.  While they can offer additional "bonuses" for iPods, they must be iTunes gift cards and they must be approved by Apple.  In addition, they can't give any kind of discounting for any other APple product.  Even when they sell the display models, Apple dictates the price.  What is even more interesting is the CS reps who work in the APple department attend training that is conducted by Apple so that they are knowledgeable about the product.  I am sure that if B&N or Amazon wants to dictate the pricing or other aspects of the product sales, they can do it.

Frequent Contributor
QuiteTheCharacter
0 Kudos

Too bad this didn't happen a few months ago before the Agency Model kicked in.. I'm sure this plays right into the evil plans of the A5, since they've already jacked the eBook prices higher than a lot of the "legacy" paper books.. So new eReader customers will think this new pricing is the norm. It's a shame. :smileysad:

Doug_Pardee
Kudos: 4,013
0 Kudos

icebike wrote:

It's been legal in the US since June 28, 2007.

In Leegin Leather v. Kay's Kloset, the US Supreme Court ruled that "retail price maintenance" was not fundamentally anti-competitive.

This is what the 'Agency Model' is all about.

Correspondent
JoanieGranola
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

This should be interesting! I have all three stores in a shopping plaza in my town - and they're all far enough away from each other that they'll get customers.

The funny thing is that my husband and I were in BB this morning and they don't have ANY ipads - or any notices about BB selling the ipad. I wonder when they'll get their demo.

I'd like to fondle a Kindle as well. I love my nook and would never trade it in, but there are more periodicals available for the Kindle and I would consider getting one for my husband for that reason. I'll have to make a trip to the local Target at month's end to see if there're any around to play with!

Frequent Contributor
Alley415
0 Kudos

JoanieGranola wrote:

This should be interesting! I have all three stores in a shopping plaza in my town - and they're all far enough away from each other that they'll get customers.

The funny thing is that my husband and I were in BB this morning and they don't have ANY ipads - or any notices about BB selling the ipad. I wonder when they'll get their demo.

I'd like to fondle a Kindle as well. I love my nook and would never trade it in, but there are more periodicals available for the Kindle and I would consider getting one for my husband for that reason. I'll have to make a trip to the local Target at month's end to see if there're any around to play with!

Only the Best Buys with an Apple Center in them will be selling the iPad.  Ours sold out by Sunday but got more in Tuesday.  I went to our PX on Post today and they have them as well as the accessories so I picked up a case there. 

Inspired Correspondent
MarkinStLouis
0 Kudos

So, I guess this will be sold next to the Sony e-readers, since Best Buy is already selling them in store. 

Frequent Contributor
Greeny
0 Kudos