Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

New User
Lisa830
0 Kudos

Best Nook for an 11 year old

Hello....I have an 11 year old daughter who loves to read and have decided to buy her a Nook for Christmas.  Trying to make the best choice should I purchase the b/w Nook or splurge and get the Color?  Again she is only 11, your thoughts.

Thanks,

Lisa

Wordsmith
wordsandmelodies
0 Kudos

Re: Best Nook for an 11 year old

[ Edited ]

Umm, you're the only one who knows the state of your budget, so I'll leave the financial considerations to you.  However, I would consider what she reads most.  Does she read a lot of things that would require or benefit from color?  Are these items available in e-format?  If the answer to these is yes, I might consider a NookColor.  If not, I'd stick with a Nook-WiFi or 3G. 

Bibliophile
bklvr896
0 Kudos

I would also check the availability of the type of books she likes to read and books suitable for an 11 year old.  The Nook is marketed for adults and there seems to be a lot of teen fiction available, but I think I would check that also.

New User
Lisa830
0 Kudos

Great thanks for the consideration tips, I hadn't thought of any of that.

Inspired Contributor
kathi29
0 Kudos

I got my daughter the original Nook last year for Christmas. (She was just a couple weeks shy of 11.) We've been very happy with it and even now I don't think I would buy her the color one. If anything, I would buy the wi-fi only to save myself a few bucks.

At her age, she isn't reading picture books. :smileyhappy:

gqb
Inspired Scribe
gqb
0 Kudos

Also, keep in mind where she will be using it.  Do you want her taking a $249 device to school or to her friends' houses?

Distinguished Correspondent
AikiPen
0 Kudos

My 11 year old and my 8 year old both have the wi-fi only nooks. They read chapter books on them. They are not allowed to take them to school. They have been a success for us and my 11 year son has started reading more. I'm glad we got them.

Correspondent
g0tr00t
0 Kudos

My 11 year old son wil be getting the Refurb WiFi/3g nook for Christmas.

The Nook Color, I feel, is more of a social eReader.  With facebook access, internet access and 8 hour drive time, it's more than I want for him. It more or less something for me *wink, wink*.

He reads so many books every week that this is finally something that can keep up with him.  Him and my wife read about 2 to 3 books at a time and finish 500+ page books in about a weeks time. 

I can't think of any better gift for him.

So as a father of 3, I would recommend the regular nook and not have the temptation of easy distractions to "surf".

Good luck with your final decision.

Contributor
Aknaack5
0 Kudos

My 11 yr old son will be getting a wifi nook for Christmas (as will my 15 yr old and 7 yr old). I decided that while the nook color is great, it is not something they need right now If they want to surf the web or play games they can use their laptops.

All of my kids are avid readers and I gave up along time ago trying to remember which book they are on as it changes daily, sometimes multiple times in one day. My oldest often has to wait 30 - 45 minutes after school while I am picking up the younger kids and I constantly hear him fuss about he finished his book at lunch and didn't think to grab the next one in the morning so he was 'bored' while he was waiting. I hope the nook will solve his problem and I will get to hear about new books instead of complaints. On the other hand I might have a harder time than I already do to get them to put the books down for chores, homework and sleeping.

Bibliophile
bklvr896
0 Kudos

Aknaack5 wrote:

My 11 yr old son will be getting a wifi nook for Christmas (as will my 15 yr old and 7 yr old). I decided that while the nook color is great, it is not something they need right now If they want to surf the web or play games they can use their laptops.

All of my kids are avid readers and I gave up along time ago trying to remember which book they are on as it changes daily, sometimes multiple times in one day. My oldest often has to wait 30 - 45 minutes after school while I am picking up the younger kids and I constantly hear him fuss about he finished his book at lunch and didn't think to grab the next one in the morning so he was 'bored' while he was waiting. I hope the nook will solve his problem and I will get to hear about new books instead of complaints. On the other hand I might have a harder time than I already do to get them to put the books down for chores, homework and sleeping.

Just be careful with letting him take it to school.  My youngest niece (just graduated from high school) had two iPods stolen out of her backpack.

New User
Lisa830
0 Kudos

WOW thanks for all the words of wisdom from everyone.  Looks like I'm going to stick with the Nook WiFi for Christmas.  I appreciate everyone's input! 

Happy Holidays!

Correspondent
g0tr00t
0 Kudos

Hey Lisa, I also just saw the post on this first page for the WiFi/3g for $99 on ebay, you can also check the refurb store at B&N too, heck at $99 from ebay, I am even thinking of getting one for some other family members....

Correspondent
lisat96
0 Kudos

It depends on what and how much your 11-year-old likes to read.  My daughter is a casual reader.  She likes chapter books and young adult books. She also likes reading magazines and graphic novels.  None of her magazines or graphic novels are currently available from B&N, but I hope that will start to change now that more parents are buying ereaders for their kids.  The NOOKcolor will play her mp4 videos and let her update her Facebook page so it seemed like the best choice for her.  If your 11-year-old is a compulsive reader and needs a longer battery life more than bells and whistles, I would order a NOOK WiFi instead.