Inspired Contributor
Dito
0 Kudos

Best/favorite software for e-book converting & editing?

I've got lots of books in various formats. Some are older LRF files from a Sony Reader, some are PDFs, even a few LIT (Microsoft Reader) files.

I know that the nook seems happiest with the EPUB format. I'm curious what others are using to reformat things?

I know of a handful of programs:

• Calibre
  • Bookdesigner
  • Sigil
To me, each of them has their own strengths and weaknesses. Calibre syncs nicely to the nook and has good editing features for cover images, author name tweaking, etc., but never seems to get chapter breaks right. Bookdesigner is probably the most powerful, but - damn - it's complex (and ugly). Sigil seems to show potential, but feels unfinished and lacking in features.
Are there any others I've missed or haven't tried? EPUB isn't all that new, so I'm surprised there's not a better converter available. Or have I just not found the "killer app" for these tasks?
-Dito (obsessive reader & nook-filler)

Inspired Wordsmith
icebike
0 Kudos

Re: Best/favorite software for e-book converting & editing?

Atlantis Word Processor http://www.atlantiswordprocessor.com/en/downloads.htm

costs 30 bucks, and will convert most document formats to epub.

Because you are working with the source documents, its not intended as a converter from one ebook format to another.  Its all about original document to epub format output.

Contributor
Geran
0 Kudos

I love Calibre since it is easy to use, and I love that it adds metadata info. The bulk conversion tool is great, and the interface is nice. I don't use the table of contents really, so that didn't bother me. I haven't tried the other programs.

Are you have any problems similar to mine in Calibre? http://bookclubs.barnesandnoble.com/t5/eBooks-Help-Board/Sideloaded-Books-not-Loading-Correctly/m-p/...

Reader 2
lascuba
0 Kudos

I'm a technology noob so forgive the probably silly question...

Do any of these software covert DRM'd PDF books? I purchased a few, and while they're totally readable on the Nook the format is just weird and annoying to read, with the headers and the random page breaks.

Inspired Contributor
Sunhawk
0 Kudos

Another vote for Calibre.

Distinguished Correspondent
very-simple
0 Kudos

lascuba wrote:

I'm a technology noob so forgive the probably silly question...

Do any of these software covert DRM'd PDF books? I purchased a few, and while they're totally readable on the Nook the format is just weird and annoying to read, with the headers and the random page breaks.

No.

Frequent Contributor
Snowie
0 Kudos

Another vote for caliber. I love being able to sideload and convert all in one go. It also helps with organizing and sorting my library. It's also very user friendly and the developer is constantly tweaking and improving the software. Plus it's free. :smileyhappy:

Inspired Correspondent
debiant
0 Kudos

Calibre... although you're right it can't seem to get the toc right.  

Inspired Contributor
Dito
0 Kudos

I've become less concerned about TOC issues since the bookmarks are now working correctly. I was previously relying on chapter breaks to jump back to where I left off. 

Calibre does an above-average job converting things between formats. It's probably the best and easiest to use. But I wish it had some kind of editor - even a simple one - to tweak the converted output. I get bizarrely annoyed at bad line breaks and similar things. What can I say - I'm anal. About certain things.

As for stripping off the DRM, there are ways, yes, but none of these programs will do it. And a bookseller's forum is probably not the best place to discuss the issue. :smileywink:

-D

Inspired Correspondent
debiant
0 Kudos

Dito wrote:

I've become less concerned about TOC issues since the bookmarks are now working correctly. I was previously relying on chapter breaks to jump back to where I left off. 

Calibre does an above-average job converting things between formats. It's probably the best and easiest to use. But I wish it had some kind of editor - even a simple one - to tweak the converted output. I get bizarrely annoyed at bad line breaks and similar things. What can I say - I'm anal. About certain things.

As for stripping off the DRM, there are ways, yes, but none of these programs will do it. And a bookseller's forum is probably not the best place to discuss the issue. :smileywink:

-D

Beyond that, you're average pc user would not be able to run a python script without a complete walk through, and that is way past my patience level for any but my closest friends.  

Frequent Contributor
jimcook2
0 Kudos

I'm impressed with Calibre. Easy to use, works well and does everything I need. It was impressive enough for me that I sent a donation. I feel my money was well spent.