Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

New User
hattrick
0 Kudos

Re: Beware! Replacement Nook Refurbished Nook

Just received my refurbished Nook -- display screen failed after only a couple of months after purchase  -- was told by customer service that the one year limited warranty did not start over with the refurbished Nook, but rather continued from the purchase of the original new Nook.  If something is certified to be as good as new, then they should stand behind that claim with a full one year warranty.

I read the warranty and it states you can only get a refund for a defective within the first 14 days after date of purchase. Further, it says you must return the product box and accessories to be eligible for the refund..

I am very disappointed with receiving a refurbished vs. a new Nook replacement for my defective one. Customer service should tell you about their replacement policy and what to expect when the Nook arrives at your house.

Distinguished Wordsmith
Josienjoe
0 Kudos

hattrick wrote:

Just received my refurbished Nook -- display screen failed after only a couple of months after purchase  -- was told by customer service that the one year limited warranty did not start over with the refurbished Nook, but rather continued from the purchase of the original new Nook.  If something is certified to be as good as new, then they should stand behind that claim with a full one year warranty.

I read the warranty and it states you can only get a refund for a defective within the first 14 days after date of purchase. Further, it says you must return the product box and accessories to be eligible for the refund..

I am very disappointed with receiving a refurbished vs. a new Nook replacement for my defective one. Customer service should tell you about their replacement policy and what to expect when the Nook arrives at your house.

They did tell you about the replacement policy - it's in the warranty.

AlanNJ
Topics: 64
Kudos: 1,518
0 Kudos

Entitlement issues still running amok...

►Without order there is chaos◄
Distinguished Correspondent
GetLostInABook
0 Kudos

hattrick wrote:

This makes me think of a quote from Charles Babbage, "... I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."

Distinguished Scribe
RSC_Nook
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

what is funny is the poster DID NOT mention at all if the refurb looked nice and worked just fine.  My guess is had it NOT it should would of been mentioned.  THUS I am betting it looks and works just fine.

I would like to hear from him (or her) how the refurb looks and works.  I hope really well.  I would hope they are happy with the replacement.

I ordered or have had friends order refurbs - 5 total to different people.  across the board every single one looked new, worked new, and they have not had a single issue with them

BTW - this is not a B&N thing.  every single electronic purchase is covered the same way between repalcement with refurbs and not restarting warrenty. 

Contributor
Presle
0 Kudos

I can't sympatize with you at all. I actually don't understand where you even got the idea that you should have the right to get a new one. They're being nice that they don't make you wait until your old broken one gets repaired. And you should realize that they could be telling you for a month that they can't repair it because they're waiting for a piece of hardware they need to repair your nook and you should wait a bit longer.

I also don't uderstand what you have against refurbished nook. Because I live outside US I had to buy refurbished Nook on ebay. It cost me the same as a new one would, if I lived in US. But I'm actually happy, because someone checked it for me, if it didn't get some wrong piece in the factory. From my point of view it's double checked for hidden problems.

And since I already returned several pieces of hardware,  I can tell you what was done with the Nook you got. Someone started it up ( it was probably decent person that likes books and treats them nicely. Maybe you would even become friends if you ever met). Then he/she tried to navigate in the menu and tried to open the manual and maybe he/she turned several pages in the manual. Maybe he/she tried to open the games folder to look inside. After that they thought the menu is too much pain to use and decided to get another ereader. They wrapped it up the same way it was when bought and took it back to the shop. BN took the Nook and sent it to technical support to check for any faults, clean and renew factory settings. After that the Nook waited if anyone purchases it on ebay or if they'll send it to someone like you.

Contributor
Presle
0 Kudos

hattrick wrote:

Do you actually expect to get new Nooks for the rest of your life? If it worked the way you write you would only have to make it fail in the 11th month after arrival and you would have lifelong warranty. Customers like that would ruin ANY company

Reader 2
angelsix
0 Kudos

Well, of course, you have a choice.  E.g., you can keep your refurbished Nook, or just go buy a new and considerably better one. 

I am feeling foolish that I spent $69 for the extra warranty. The sensible rule is Never buy an extended warranty.  Odds are just too bad.  When I was insuring a $250 (original) Nook it seemed to make sense.  Now a better one would be only $139, I'd rather have the $69 back to apply to a new one -- probably would get a Nook Color.  Oh, well.

My Nook just broke (same as yours ... @ the page turner button), 14 months after I bought it.  So, they're sending me another one.  About a 20 minute wait on hold until I got a representative, then got passed to another one, and after lots of repetitive inquiry, my new (refurbished) one is in the mail.  Included an irritating inquiry about whether something heavy fell on it, as if he was amazed to hear the case cracked where the page turn button is.  So, I'll get a new old Nook, have to mail my current, cracked one back.

Never buy an extended warranty.

Contributor
bmhanson
0 Kudos

I have had 2 refurb nooks.  First was sent becasue the bezel cracked at the page turn.  I originally had called in to just see if I could buy a replacement bezel as it worked fine and I figured the warranrty would not cover it. Talked to the rep and he got my info and said, ok we are sending out a replacement.  I was like wow.  I mean it obviously seems to be a design defect and a pretty common issue. 

Of course the replacement lasted about 2 months till the same thing happened.  Same call and a new one sent no questions asked.  It was going great until it was stolen.  Unfortunately the warranty will nto cover that. :-D

Patiently waiting for a new model now...

I have absolutely no issuwe with their warranty or theit customer service.  Of course I am not surprised with a refcurb either.  That is how all warranties I have ever dealt with on electronics work.  (cell phone, mp3 player, computer, etc).  To expect different is unrealistic.

New User
granny-di
0 Kudos

I actually purchased a refurbished Nook online from Barnes and Noble.  It was in perfect condition.  And I got it for a lot less than new.

So let me ask you this...  If you purchased a new computer and the mother board went out, do you honestly think the retailer would give you a new computer?  No, you would receive a new motherboard.  Your Nook was new when you purchased it.  The minute you walked out of the store it became a used Nook.  Since parts cannot be replaced, you recieved, in return, a used Nook. 

Be happy and enjoy your 300+ books, some of which are free.  Something you would not get from Amozon.com 

Frequent Contributor
Ropebender
0 Kudos

Anthony1970 wrote:

Op. Really does it matter?? You gave them a broken 8 month old nook and you recieved a lightly used one. Seriously. Who cares?? It works doesnt it?? Its not scratched up is it?

Dont worry you will get over it. You are making too big a deal out of it.

Absolutely.  That's what the Warrenty states you will get.  I have had to get mi N1E replaced twice.  once for the cracked bezel and once because the 3G went bad.  Both times I got a referbished one, both times the replacement worked fine.  I still have a year on my extended warrenty, and am darned glad I got it.  When the warrenty expires, if it looks like BN is dead set on "no more updates" then I will probably root my N1E and turn it into an eReader Tablet with Android :smileyhappy:

I am super happy with my NOOK and have enjoyed almost every minute I spend fighting with the minor issues.  

Van!! 

=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+
"There are only 10 types of people in the world. Those who understand binary, and those who don't."
=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+

Van!!
Reader 4
minagain01

[ Edited ]

When I received my refurbished replacement it was a much newer version and came in an original box with a replacement charger, and all the paperwork. The retail box was even wrapped in bubble wrap!!

While I was a little surprised with the refurb (I had obliviously not read my warranty.) I must say that I can not tell the difference in appearance from that one and my original nook when it was new . I purchased my original at walmart in Feb and so its only five months old, I was surprised that my refurb was the 1.7 format instead of the 1.4 that was on my original. Over all I am very pleased!!!

New User
KaySpiess
0 Kudos

I went to have my girlfriends NOOK replaced which had a cracked screen and was denied a replacement. 

Our original replacement order was # :1167135280, the first break in the screen and was replaced relatively quickly. The second time he customer service representive stated that we need to pay an additional insurance fee of $50, which we choose not to January 21, 2011. During my original purchase the NOOK Center salesman never stated the replacement was a single item. Granted it wasn't stated but during the conversation with NOOK'S customer service representative they offered a replacement for $50 which we tried to have done today August 9th.

The claim was denied and was stated they only replaced once with a USED or REFURBISHED item. The refurbished item was not understood during the initial purchase as well. The replacement was not also of a caliber that we appreciated either. The customer representative (Steve Fowley) had notes in the datebase that a previous customer service had stated they would replace the item for a $50 fee but that they would NO LONGER ......HONOR their statement.

The record verifies our claim and our understaning for the wanton use of the NOOK but we now feel taken advantage of by deceitful sales practices in place at the BARNES and NOBLE retail outlet we visted in MECHANICSBURG, Pennsylvania. I have received all of the necessary information to file a claim with the BBB.org.

If you have had similar issues with NOOK or BARNES and NOBLE, I invite you to email my account setup for starting a class action lawsuit with ANAPOL SWARTZ in PHILADELPHIA. Here is my email address if interested in filing claim with such a suit.  Email: RightCharge@gmail.com

New User
TikiDoll
0 Kudos

I seem to have developed "the crack problem" (a break in the case at the page turner button) much later than everyone else.  I purchased my Nook in February 2010, and the crack first appeared in October 2011.  Though I did buy the "extended warranty,"  Barnes and Noble will not honor it.  They have noted on my claim that the damage is due to user error. 

Not only did they send a "refurbished" Nook.  They sent one that was WiFi not my 3G model. And it arrived poorly packaged and a broken replacement.  Not to mention that as a refurbished replacement that means "used"-- which is to say this problem will occur again and sooner due to previous use before mine. 

Now I have the added frustration of sending "the replacement" back and start a claim with my credit card company to refuse the charges on the "replacement."  I DO NOT recommend spending any money on the "warranty".  Just expect the Nook to break shortly after the year on the manufacturer warranty (planned obsolescence period) and then toss it as another disposable device cluttering our planet with hazardous waste.

Reader
loupope
0 Kudos

I too am very dissatisifed with BandN.!! and the Color Nook. I had the "new nook" black and white no where near the options you have with a color so I sold my black and white new nook now that the weather is warmer and I can get outside I want to be able to read. Well guess what you can't read a color nook outside. If you put on sunglasses the screen is totally BLACK. you can adjust the back light up or down in the middle or whatever but you can't read it in the sun. I am really upset over this I too purchase my books from BandN I could also get the kindle but I really do love the Nook. I just wish I had never gotten the color one. The customer service with BandN SUCKS. I'll just stick with what I am doing but in the future should I have to replace I doubt it will be a Nook. Thanks Barnes and Noble for the unhappy people who are Nook owners.

Lou Pope

Bibliophile
bklvr896

loupope wrote:

I too am very dissatisifed with BandN.!! and the Color Nook. I had the "new nook" black and white no where near the options you have with a color so I sold my black and white new nook now that the weather is warmer and I can get outside I want to be able to read. Well guess what you can't read a color nook outside. If you put on sunglasses the screen is totally BLACK. you can adjust the back light up or down in the middle or whatever but you can't read it in the sun. I am really upset over this I too purchase my books from BandN I could also get the kindle but I really do love the Nook. I just wish I had never gotten the color one. The customer service with BandN SUCKS. I'll just stick with what I am doing but in the future should I have to replace I doubt it will be a Nook. Thanks Barnes and Noble for the unhappy people who are Nook owners.

Lou Pope

This is not unique to the Nook, any color device you buy, that has an LCD screen is going to be difficult or impossible to read in sunlight.  If you purchased a Kindle Fire, an iPad or an Android tablet, you're still going to have that problem. It's why many of us prefer eInk devices, you can read them in sunlight.  Most of the time, I can't see my cell phone screen in the sunlight, I have to find a shadow.  So don't be annoyed with B&N because you can't read the Nook Color in the sunlight.  Any research would have told you, LCD screen, bad in sunlight.