Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Frequent Contributor
bjmbarb

Beware! Replacement Nook Refurbished Nook

I am a very unhappy longtime loyal B&N customer.  I called Sunday for a replacement Nook as I had a cracked right side forward page turner (purchased my Nook in February 10).  I know from the discussions here new Nooks were sent out. I also asked the question during my phone call if this would be a new Nook as my replacement and was assured it would be. I did rapid replacement and it all worked like a charm. The Nook arrived yesterday with a slip stating refurbished. There is no charging cord (which I guess I keep my present one). Just a Nook in a cardboard box slid into a bubble sleeve.

I was furious. Of course I received no satisfaction from customer service. At their discretion they can send a new or refurbished Nook. They stated they have been sending only refurbished Nooks for a "few" months now.  From discussions here I believe this to be untrue.  I feel cheated and used and abused by B&N. I have been a customer for years and have purchased hundreds of books, I am a member, and I use a B&N charge card. Since February I have purchased all my eBooks from B&N to the tune of $1400.  I have 340 books loaded on my Nook but this does include some wonderful free offers. But I have still spent a lot of money on eBooks.  I do not care about the Library lending ability, I don't play games or do anything else on my Nook.  I buy and read books.

I am offended, disgusted and angry. I could invest in a Kindle and just buy all my books from Amazon.  But I love my Nook. I don't want to accept a refurbished Nook but according to customer service I have no choice, no recourse and isn't that just tough. As for customer service promising  me a brand new Nook...he misstated. Tough noogies.  And there is nothing they will do. They don't care about customer loyalty or longevity.  I got screwed by B&N! 

Doug_Pardee
Kudos: 4,013

Re: Beware! Replacement Nook Refurbished Nook

[ Edited ]

Is there something wrong with the replacement NOOK?

You presumably got an unused or almost-unused NOOK in perfect shape, in return for your 7-month-old NOOK with a cracked bezel, at no cost to you. How is this "getting screwed"?

Would you rather they have you send your old NOOK in and then they return it to you in a month or so with a new bezel?

flyingtoastr
Topics: 55
Kudos: 2,947

I'm really confused. Almost any company will use refurbishments over new replacements. Not only does it save money for the company, but it is a lot nicer to the planet if they can recycle. It should work perfectly well. Almost all the refurb nooks are the "buyer's remorse" returns (someone buys it and returns it in a couple days because they were taken in by the evil salesman or something, I've heard it all). So it's not like you're getting something that was eaten by a dog and then sent to you.

Distinguished Wordsmith
DiAnneInDover
0 Kudos

I'm with Barb on this one.  If I paid full price for a new Nook and it became defective because of their design flaw, it should be repaired or replaced with a new one.  True, most likely there is nothing wrong with the refurbished one, but she didn't purchase a refurbished Nook (and if she had, she wouldn't have had to pay the full $259 for it, she would have paid less). 

There's a reason that refurbished electronics are sold at such significant discounts...because there is a big old question mark on them where you have no clue what was wrong with it to make it a refurb.  You don't know if it has sat baking in a hot car every day for 10 hours.  You don't know if it has been dropped in a toilet and had to have some things replaced (but not all).  You just don't know.  That's why they are discounted. 

She bought a new one and she should have received a new one, especially after specifically asking the customer service person the question and being told specifically it would be a new one.

My buttons haven't cracked yet, but I'm expecting them to.  I will absolutely not accept a refurb.  And I'll definitely record the phone conversatoin when I call. 

Correspondent
Kirk_S
0 Kudos

flyingtoastr wrote:

I'm really confused. Almost any company will use refurbishments over new replacements. Not only does it save money for the company, but it is a lot nicer to the planet if they can recycle. It should work perfectly well. Almost all the refurb nooks are the "buyer's remorse" returns (someone buys it and returns it in a couple days because they were taken in by the evil salesman or something, I've heard it all). So it's not like you're getting something that was eaten by a dog and then sent to you.

I agree completely. If you send in a used component, you can't really get upset when you received a used one (in mint condition!) back. I guess I just can't sympathize too much with the complaint.

To the OP: is the replacement in at least as good a condition as the one you sent in? If so, what are you out? They fixed your Nook for free and the chunk of hardware in your hands today is nicer than what you were holding last week.

Frequent Contributor
geertm

Quote from the one year limited warranty:

"IF I MAKE A WARRANTY CLAIM, WHAT WILL B&N DO WHEN IT RECEIVES MY nook?

When B&N receives your nook, it will examine it and determine whether it is covered by this Limited Warranty. If, upon examination, B&N determines that your nook is covered by this Limited Warranty, B&N will, within a reasonable period of time, at its option and at no additional charge, do one of the following:

• replace your nook with a new or refurbished model of equal or greater value; or
  • refund the purchase price you paid for your nook.".

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/nook/protectionplan/standard/index.asp

Frequent Contributor
Tsar
0 Kudos

A fair number of those "refurbished" Nooks are ones that someone took home, played with, and then returned later that same day. There are various reasons for this, especially with the wifi version being released (people getting the wifi, then realizing they wanted to upgrade to a 3G after they opened the box). Since they're technically "used," B&N doesn't sell them as new anymore.

Correspondent
Anthony1970
0 Kudos

Op. Really does it matter?? You gave them a broken 8 month old nook and you recieved a lightly used one. Seriously. Who cares?? It works doesnt it?? Its not scratched up is it?

Dont worry you will get over it. You are making too big a deal out of it.

Contributor
pixie91
0 Kudos

I too got a refurbished nook as my replacement for lines on the e-ink screen.  Didn't really have a problem with it being refurbished, but was a little cranky that I had to spend a few hours on the phone with customer service after receiving it because it came with only 1.2 software and after updating to the 1.4, it didn't register all the memory.  So we had to go through the process to unregister, reboot, re-register and then reload all my books.  But now it works like a charm.

My mom and I share an account and she had to get hers replaced because of a crack on the side.  She had the replacement shipped to me because she has no 3g where she lives and can't hook up to wi-fi.  It is just easier for me to get it registered.  Hers was brand new and software 1.4.  definitely a lot easier.

Either way, we can both read, which is what we really love to do, and because of the nook we are able to share books again.

Frequent Contributor
bjmbarb
0 Kudos

First thank you DiAnne for the support and understanding.  I asked "just in case" and was reassured it would be a new one.  Also there have been a lot of posts here on cracked bezels and replacement Nooks and they all were new replacements.  I was quite happy with my Nook except for the cracked bezel.  I do not really know where this one came from or has been or what problems it had...I hate to give it up but I at least wanted to start off with a new one.  How would all of you here who received a brand new replacement Nook feel if you got one that says refurbished?????  I have no recourse obviously but to be the unlucky one who got refurbished and to feel very let down by B&N. 

Correspondent
Anthony1970
0 Kudos

i wouldnt mind.(I dont have a nook right now but am planning on it) You have to realize that whenever you purchase an electronic device its going to have wear and tear after so many months, years. The manufacturer does not have to give you a brand spanking new one, but a fixed one.(refurbished) As mentioned above MOST of them are indeed lightly used.

This is what happens when everything we do becomes electronic trading pros for cons.You are trading off some cons from reading HC books to some from reading on the nook. Namely one, the device breaking and recieving a refurbished one.

Look into any warranty and you will see the same thing that was quoted above. Kindle is the same way. You will get either new or refurbished. If you dont agree with this just go back to HC books. It may be less stressful for you.The refurbished one is like new. I wouldnt worry. I doubt it was dropped in a toilet.

Yes i have recieved refurished items in the past and have not minded at all. It was better condition than the one I returned so who was I to complain.

Frequent Contributor
bjmbarb
0 Kudos

Also I would just as soon kept my original Nook and never have a cracked bezel.  I always have a cover on my Nook, swipe when I read, avoid using the forward and back buttons except when absolutely necessary.  And when I did I used the left side buttons because I was aware from this board there was a problem with the right forward button. I was so proud mine didn't crack but I also knew I was meticulous in my use and care of my Nook. So yes I was told of course it would be a new replacement and that is what I was expecting.  So maybe I have the wrong attitude but I didn't put the defective bezels on the Nooks. So yes even 8 months later l did expect a new Nook. 

Correspondent
Anthony1970
0 Kudos

Well apparently the bezels break after long use. Even if you used it meticuously for 8 months based on all the reading you do, you probably still used it more than average.

You recieved a newer Nook. The warranty was fullfilled. If you dont want it, return it and go get a kindle.

If you cant return it, used Nooks are selling for 70-80% the price of a new one on ebay. Go take a look, it astonishing actually. Some people are willing to pay almost full price for a used nook. I would probably do that if I was you and than get a kindle. But be forewarned, the kindle 3's have issues as well and if you return one before the warranty you run the risk of getting a nice refurbished one.

Distinguished Bibliophile
ABthree
0 Kudos

@bjmbarb

If the slip saying that your new Nook was "refurbished" hadn't been in the packaging, how would you have known?

+LORD, preserve the good in their goodness, and+
+in your kindness, make the wicked become good.+
-- St. Basil the Great+
Frequent Contributor
bjmbarb
0 Kudos

No factory packaging. No charging cord. Not even a little scrap of literature or enclosure that came with a new one. Unmarked box with a Nook in a thin bubble sleeve. Nothing new about it.  I am sorry I said anything. It was the luck of the draw. I was led to expect more from B&N and their product. Yes I worked through freezing and taking the battery out etc. I know there were problems and I accepted them and was glad of the help and user knowledge I learned on these boards.  My mistake on this one. May all of you never have a problem with your Nook. 

Inspired Wordsmith
Ozman69
0 Kudos

geertm wrote:

Quote from the one year limited warranty:

"IF I MAKE A WARRANTY CLAIM, WHAT WILL B&N DO WHEN IT RECEIVES MY nook?

When B&N receives your nook, it will examine it and determine whether it is covered by this Limited Warranty. If, upon examination, B&N determines that your nook is covered by this Limited Warranty, B&N will, within a reasonable period of time, at its option and at no additional charge, do one of the following:

• replace your nook with a new or refurbished model of equal or greater value; or
  • refund the purchase price you paid for your nook.".

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/nook/protectionplan/standard/index.asp

If you don't want to take the chance of getting a refurbished Nook, I'd suggest asking them if they would "refund the purchase price you paid for your nook".  Then you could go back to the store and purchase a new Nook.  

Not sure if they would give you all that money back though if you paid $259 and used it for months.  Otherwise I would have asked for refunds on my two and then bought four new ones.  LOL

The above is based upon my opinion... yours may vary!
flyingtoastr
Topics: 55
Kudos: 2,947
0 Kudos

You shouldn't have been led to expect anything different. The CS rep probably misunderstood you (thinking that by "new" you meant a different nook, not your old one with a new bezel or something) or made an honest mistake. It states very clearly in the warranty that you're not always going to get a brand new one with a replacement. I'm an employee and when I had to replace my nook for the bezel I got a referb as well. It really shouldn't matter, it's still covered under your warranty and should work just like your old one.

Frequent Contributor
thecuckoo
0 Kudos

You seem to have an issue with the fact that there wasn't a charging cord or literature.  Don't you already have those things?  Honestly, when I got mine replace four months ago, it was an extra hassle to return the charging cord.  It would have been much easier to just send back the bad nook.

But the warranty is clear, you will get a new or refurbished nook at B&N's option.  And I agree with others who have posted, normally a refurbished nook is just as good, if not better in some instances than a new one.  For all you know a new one would be the older model and have and issue with the cracking bezel again.  B&N is not going to give you a nook that is going to die in a few months.  This one is still covered under the warranty so if there is another problem they will deal with it.

I don't see how you can complain when you give up a used item and get another less used item in return.  If you get in an accident and you damage your car, you don't expect a brand new car--you expect to get yours fixed.  Similar situation.

Correspondent
Anthony1970
0 Kudos

Bjmbard. Why are you sorry you posted this???? We are only trying to tell you that its not a big deal. Its only a device to read books. The one you have now works perfectly. Be happy with it.Use it for a day or two and before you know it you wont be able to tell the difference between this one and the last one.

Distinguished Wordsmith
Josienjoe
0 Kudos

@ bjmbarb,

I do sympathize with you.  I won't have a problem with a refurbished nook, though, but I'm holding off on getting mine exchanged.  My curiosity question to you is, what OS version came on it & do the bezels feel different than your old nook?  If it came with the newest OS, it's a lot newer than yours and I understand that the newer nooks have improved bezels.