Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. On May 1, we’re saying goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Inspired Contributor
Katie_798
0 Kudos

Bible on nook?

I am a follower of Jesus with all of my heart; but i HATE carrying my huge study bible around when I go to bible studies or want to read while I'm on the go without taking my teeny little bible that only has the New Testament. But trying to get to a page or verse or chapter takes AGES on the nook!

Is there anything you can do, B&N, to work on this? I'd be a very happy customer :smileyhappy:

Contributor
Arterbizzle
0 Kudos

Re: Bible on nook?

Do a Google search "bible ebook"

I haven't sifted through the results but it looks like you will not be disappointed.

Each thing I do I rush through so I can do something else.
Correspondent
g0tr00t
0 Kudos
Reader 2
BlueHair_Bob
0 Kudos

As one who has "sifted through the results" i am afraid that you will indeed be disappointed.  I have Bibles for my nook and they are, unfortunately, very difficult to navigate.  I love my nook, but it has not turned out to be a replacement for my Bible like I too hope it would.  My solution has been a Bible on my Android phone.  The screen of course is small, but I can make the font big enough to read and navigation works.  If you Google ebook Bibles and DO sift through the results, I think you will find that there is a consensus that there is not yet a good solution for nook.

The original question seems to be, is there something that BN can do about it?  I hope so.

Contributor
BulletinBroad

I suggest praying for a solution. if Jesus loves you back, he'll add telepathic navigation. Top that, B&N software engineers!

Give me Librium or give me Meth!!!
Contributor
Arterbizzle
0 Kudos

I wasn't aware that there was not a good ebook version yet, thanks for the info.

Each thing I do I rush through so I can do something else.
Distinguished Correspondent
Globaltech

[ Edited ]

For a work of fiction, as seemingly popular as this novel is, it is indeed surprising that there is not a good, navigatable version.

As you can probably tell, I'm not religious, but I'd give a Jab (Job :smileytongue:) at making a navigatable version of the bible on the new colornook.

It's simply a bunch of hyperlinks (touchscreen) on there to make a good navigable version.

What would you actually want as features?

Perhaps I miss the point of why it's hard to find.  Can you elaborate? I really do not 'get' why it's hard to navigate, though I don't have any need myself to currently go to certain chapters of a novel.  I've simply never tried to even go back to read chapter 13 of a book.

Would a chapter selection be good for you or would you want verses too? 

I can't say I'm familiar with the novel, but I sure can hyperlink like crazy which the nookcolor sdk will allow.

So tell me exactly what you want in a bible and tell me how you want to easily access information there.

Maybe we can work something out for $9.95 for a uber-linked, easy to navigate, novel.  I'm up for it and I just might even learn something working with the material.

and actually, I am very serious.  Whether or not I believe is irrelevant.  So please don't castigate me for being a non-believer, but help me understand what you need/want in a bible. 

And yes, please speak slowly because I do not fully understand chapters/versus in the bible.  I get chapters and versus are like mini-sections of the bible within a chapter.  Is that right?

My skills lie definitely in reproducing a work and hyperlinking the hell out of it (erm.. sorry for that comparison :smileywink:)

If you could buy a very, very easily navigable bible, hyperlinked to chapters at minimum, would you buy from a non-believer?  Would you buy if that was enhanced to include verse navigation.

Example:

click for chapter 3

click for verse 12

I really want to know what you need and then we can see if I can deliver.  I know it won't be for the original nook, but it's a crappy system anyways when you want navigation.

Tell producers exactly what you want.  The nookcolor sdk includes those options for great hyperlinks that are easily navigatable.

But tell them what you want as well... Navigatable to me may not be the same thing to you, especially with that book.

+++++++++++++++++++
¡sʞooq ɹǝʎ ,uıןɐǝʇs sɯnɹoɟ ǝɥʇ uı ǝɹɐ sǝʇɐɹıd ¡sǝou ɥo
Inspired Contributor
Katie_798
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

To be able to get to a book in the bible I have to scroll through the table of content, find the book, then scroll through the chapters and verses to get to where I want.

I want to be able to have a list of the bible books on the touch screen so I can choose the book I want, and to have the chapters listed there after I click on the book as well.

But unfortunately, I don't have the funds to buy a nook color yet :smileysad: I'm talking about what I want on my nook classic

Inspired Wordsmith
Ozman69

[ Edited ]

BulletinBroad wrote:

I suggest praying for a solution. if Jesus loves you back, he'll add telepathic navigation. Top that, B&N software engineers!

How rude...

And Globaltech... Must you try to bait everyone into some type of confrontation with the majority of your posts?  You know that you were being offensive to some people with your post but you chose to post it anyways.  I'll never understand why some people derive their pleasure from upsetting others.  

The above is based upon my opinion... yours may vary!
Melissa_W
Topics: 516
Kudos: 1,085
Blog Posts: 3
Ideas: 15
0 Kudos

@Katie,

I think it depends on which bible you download on your NOOK.  Some are annotated or you can jump to a book from the contents, etc.; I have also heard that many people use the search function to jump to a chapter or verse of the bible.

Melissa W.
I read and knit and dance. Compulsively feel yarn. Consume books. Darn tights. Drink too much caffiene. All that good stuff.
balletbookworm.blogspot.com
Globaltech

Jesus works in mysterious ways is all I can say.

Perhaps my editing and hyperlinking a bible is his way to get me to read it and know it.

A true believer would know that.

You think all people who publish and produce bibles believe in it?  If so, you are in fantasyland.  It's a job to them, but perhaps some might heed the words as might I.

Such a shame you reject a person who expresses any interest in the bible if it doesn't conform to your specifications.  I may be motivated by money, but if by doing so, I get acquainted with the bible, is that not a good thing?

For shame.

+++++++++++++++++++
Inspired Wordsmith
Ozman69
0 Kudos

The King James Version (KJV) Holy Bible 

This is the version I ended up buying.  Not bad for a buck, but it could be better.  There is a listing of all books in the back with hyperlinks to "quickly" jump to whichever one you want, but I still find it slower than a regular bible.  I use something like this more for home use.  For when you need to quickly flip around from book to book, I haven't found anything that beats the printed version.  

Inspired Wordsmith
Ozman69
0 Kudos

Globaltech wrote:

Perhaps my editing and hyperlinking a bible is his way to get me to read it and know it.

You think all people who publish and produce bibles believe in it?  If so, you are in fantasyland.  It's a job to them, but perhaps some might heed the words as might I.

Such a shame you reject a person who expresses any interest in the bible if it doesn't conform to your specifications.  I may be motivated by money, but if by doing so, I get acquainted with the bible, is that not a good thing?

For shame.

And your baiting continues.  Other than this post, I will not be drawn into your sick pleasure.  Nice  attempt at putting words in my mouth (or on my fingers as it would be), but I've dealt with people like you on many occasions.  Sorry to disappoint you and I hope that you find something else to fill your Friday entertainment needs.  

Globaltech
0 Kudos

@ katie

"To be able to get to a book in the bible I have to scroll through the table of content, find the book, then scroll through the chapters and verses to get to where I want.

I want to be able to have a list of the bible books on the touch screen so I can choose the book I want, and to have the chapters listed there after I click on the book as well.

But unfortunately, I don't have the funds to buy a nook color yet :smileysad: I'm talking about what I want on my nook classic"

So there are three levels of depth?  book, chapter, verse?

I'm not trying to be humorous here, I just don't know.

If I'm understanding you right, you want to be able to touch a button to be taken to your book, touch another be taken to your chapter and touch another to be taken to your verse.

So you want new menus opening each time.  On a touchscreen, versus may be presented as graphics likely (chapter 1, chapter 2, chapter 3 etc).

If you click on chapter 2, for example, you would want a touchscreen of all the versus in chapter 2 displayed first, rather than the chapter itself?  Is that right.

That's easy as pie.  A lot of work to link them all but it's not like I'm writing the bible itself.

What would you pay for a goodly linked bible like that? 

Again, I'm serious.  I'm the sinner who the lord has bribed me with cash to look at bibles.  He does work in mysterious ways.

What version is most popular?  King James?  What version should I consider starting with? So difficult when the text keeps changing.

+++++++++++++++++++
Globaltech

[ Edited ]

Ozman69 wrote:

Globaltech wrote:

For shame.

And your baiting continues.  Other than this post, I will not be drawn into your sick pleasure.  Nice  attempt at putting words in my mouth (or on my fingers as it would be), but I've dealt with people like you on many occasions.  Sorry to disappoint you and I hope that you find something else to fill your Friday entertainment needs.  

You do realize that this may be the only way for the Lord to have me begin to read the bible?

I'd simply never read it otherwise.  Put profit in there and sure, I'm there.  Editing a book like this will have me read virtually every word in it. 

Maybe I'll learn something and maybe I won't.  I don't know. 

If I were a christian, I'd say the Lord has higher plans for me even if he had to motivate me with profit.  The lord does work in mysterious ways and works differently for each individual wouldn't you say?

I'd look forward to reviewing a book of such noteriety... but would not do so willingly. 

I'm sorry you feel the needed and repeated attempts to castigate me for my interest.

I do consider it a novel,  a great work of fiction, much like Shakespeare, but exactly who are you to question him and his reasoning for bringing someone to the book?

When is simple disagreement baiting?  Or just don't you want me to read the bible?  I am simply flabberghasted that, for whatever reason, you would oppose somebody reading a bible.

What would Jesus do?  He'd encourage me to read and learn and repent.

As you are a christian, I simply have to ask you why you would want my soul to damned?  Not very Christian of you.

The problem with Christians is they seldom act it.

+++++++++++++++++++
Frequent Contributor
LizJ70
0 Kudos

Globaltech wrote:

Ozman69 wrote:

Globaltech wrote:

For shame.

You do realize that this may be the only way for the Lord to have me begin to read the bible?

I'd simply never read it otherwise.  Put profit in there and sure, I'm there.  Editing a book like this will have me read virtually every word in it. 

Maybe I'll learn something and maybe I won't.  I don't know. 

If I were a christian, I'd say the Lord has higher plans for me even if he had to motivate me with profit.  The lord does work in mysterious ways and works differently for each individual wouldn't you say?

I'd look forward to reviewing a book of such noteriety... but would not do so willingly. 

I'm sorry you feel the needed and repeated attempts to castigate me for my interest.

I do consider it a novel,  a great work of fiction, much like Shakespeare, but exactly who are you to question him and his reasoning for bringing someone to the book?

When is simple disagreement baiting?  Or just don't you want me to read the bible?

@Globaltech

For a someone that is not a Christian you speak with a certain Christian logic.  I honestly mean that as a compliment.  I am not trying to be insulting.  What you are saying makes sense to me.

I would also appreciate a bible like that.  While I do appreciate the huge amount of work that would go into such a project, what I would pay and what I can afford are two vastly different things.  :smileyhappy: I look forward to seeing the finished project.  

SlaughterS
0 Kudos

The problem is that a Bible is more often treated like any other text book.

There is a need to jump around and flip from page to page.

E-Ink displays are horrible at doing this.  The displays are too slow, which makes them hard to use when you need to navgate via a *ton* of hyperlinks (embeded or otherwise).

The NookColor may be better at this (does not use e-ink), but the current generation of Nooks, Kindles, and other e-ink displays are more suited to sequential reading, like that done when reading novels and short stories.

(not relegious myself - but kudos to those who took this opportunity to take pot shots at a major religion! I mean, simply helping someone who has a question is way too boring)

This is the Internet. I'm not going to let my complete lack of actual knowledge stop me from giving my opinion....
Inspired Correspondent
B_Lux
0 Kudos

@OP

I understand that your original question was a search for information for an eBible that was easily navigable, but I think ultimately you will have to appeal directly to the publishers, or the creators of the eBible you are interested in for a better navigation system.

"Sic gorgiamus allos subjectatos nunc." We gladly feast on those who would subdue us. Not just pretty words.
Globaltech
0 Kudos

B_Lux wrote:

@OP

I understand that your original question was a search for information for an eBible that was easily navigable, but I think ultimately you will have to appeal directly to the publishers, or the creators of the eBible you are interested in for a better navigation system.

Which is what I'm willing to spend hundreds of hours on making.

Who's more Christian, a non-believer who works to spread the word or one who condemns them for doing so?

+++++++++++++++++++
Contributor
BulletinBroad

Are you saying God doesn't answer prayers? It says right there in the bible that he does.

Matthew 7:7

Ask, and it will be given you; seek, and you will find; knock, and it will be opened to you. For every one who asks receives, and he who seeks finds, and to him who knocks it will be opened. Or what man of you, if his son asks him for bread, will give him a stone? Or if he asks for a fish, will give him a serpent? If you then, who are evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your Father who is in heaven give good things to those who ask him

Matthew 17:20

For truly, I say to you, if you have faith as a grain of mustard seed, you will say to this mountain, 'Move from here to there,' and it will move; and nothing will be impossible to you.

Matthew 21:21:

I tell you the truth, if you have faith and do not doubt, not only can you do what was done to the fig tree, but also you can say to this mountain, 'Go, throw yourself into the sea,' and it will be done. If you believe, you will receive whatever you ask for in prayer.

Mark 11:24:

Therefore I tell you, whatever you ask for in prayer, believe that you have received it, and it will be yours.

John chapter 14, verses 12 through 14

"Truly, truly, I say to you, he who believes in me will also do the works that I do; and greater works than these will he do, because I go to the Father. Whatever you ask in my name, I will do it, that the Father may be glorified in the Son; if you ask anything in my name, I will do it.

Matthew 18:19

Again I say to you, if two of you agree on earth about anything they ask, it will be done for them by my Father in heaven. For where two or three are gathered in my name, there am I in the midst of them.

(from http://whywontgodhealamputees.com/god5.htm)

Or does God just ignore frivolous prayers? Not according to proponents of prosperity theology (tl;dr to quote here, but here's a link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prosperity_theology). Name it and claim it baby -- new truck, promotion at your job, that dream vacation? Proof that God loves you and answers your prayers.

Listen, if God can save the lives of random people who survive a traffic accident, where was he for the ones who died in the same accident (whose families may also believe in prayer and miracles). And who gets all the credit when someone pulls through after weeks in the ICU, surgeries and the most advanced drugs sciences have to offer, then I don't see why an ebook bible can't be made smart enough to answer any question you put to it. If that's not within the realm of prayer, then I guess God doesn't really care if you read the bible or not. Problem solved, either way...

Give me Librium or give me Meth!!!