Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

New User
AnaiBendai
0 Kudos

Big Problem! I don't own a credit card? How can I use Nook?

Hi all. I received the B&N Nook Wi-fi 3G as a gift as I am a writer, avid reader, have a degree in Literary Analysis and so forth. Yet, when I went to register my Nook, I realized I would need to register a credit card in order to purchase books. I don't have a credit card. I never could get one. My credit is shot, what with all my outstanding student loans. I think I owe about $100,000. Thus, I can't even GET a credit card - so is the Nook useless to me? I can buy books with cash easily enough, but do you HAVE to have a credit card to download e-books, or am I just out of luck? (Gosh poverty sucks.) I hope you'll tell me that I can just buy a B&N Gift Card for myself and use that to purchase e-books for my Nook. Is that possible? Thanks in advance for your time and knowledge!

Frequent Contributor
brewerb
0 Kudos

Re: Big Problem! I don't own a credit card? How can I use Nook?

Hi,

If you have a checking account, you can get a debit card for it, and that will work.

Bill

Distinguished Scribe
Ya_Ya
0 Kudos

You will need to put a credit card/debit card on your account so the DRM of the books you buy from B&N can be unlocked.  You can then buy gift cards and apply them to your account so that you are actually paying cash for your books, but there needs to be a credit/debit card attached to the account.

Bibliophile
bklvr896
0 Kudos

AnaiBendai wrote:

Hi all. I received the B&N Nook Wi-fi 3G as a gift as I am a writer, avid reader, have a degree in Literary Analysis and so forth. Yet, when I went to register my Nook, I realized I would need to register a credit card in order to purchase books. I don't have a credit card. I never could get one. My credit is shot, what with all my outstanding student loans. I think I owe about $100,000. Thus, I can't even GET a credit card - so is the Nook useless to me? I can buy books with cash easily enough, but do you HAVE to have a credit card to download e-books, or am I just out of luck? (Gosh poverty sucks.) I hope you'll tell me that I can just buy a B&N Gift Card for myself and use that to purchase e-books for my Nook. Is that possible? Thanks in advance for your time and knowledge!

Some people have reported they are able to use pre-paid Visa type gift cards.  It has to be like a cc and you would want it reloadable.  The B&N DRM uses the cc as part of the process to create the encryption key so you wouldn't want to be changing it all the time.  If you search these boards you should find some discussions on it and information from those using one of those type cards.

Melissa_W
Topics: 516
Kudos: 966
Blog Posts: 3
Ideas: 15
0 Kudos

If you can use your debit/bank card as a credit card (i.e. no PIN) then you can register that card as your credit card (it will have a VISA or MC logo).  That's what I do.

Melissa W.
I read and knit and dance. Compulsively feel yarn. Consume books. Darn tights. Drink too much caffiene. All that good stuff.
balletbookworm.blogspot.com
Frequent Contributor
Jflin
0 Kudos

Most of the above are the "Preferred" solutions

If they won't work, can search online for TEST credit cards, and BN MIGHT let you use one of them as "Your" card

Limitation, of course, is that no real charge against the card will work, and if you ever do get a usable card, would have to remember which "Fake" card was used, else the DRM locked books won't be openable

Wordsmith
Michael-V
0 Kudos

All publishers require that the eBooks they submit, including free eBooks, are encrypted for each customer.  The “unlock” device is the billing name and credit card number of the primary credit card on your Barnes & Noble account. 

Gift Cards/eGift Cards/Online Gift Certificates must be saved to an account before you can redeem them to purchase eBooks, single issue eMagazines, or single issue eNewspapers. Once saved, they will be automatically applied to your eBook purchases.

Any available gift card balance will be redeemed first. Your default credit card will be charged for the remaining balance, if any. A default credit card is still required for eBook purchases, even if the funds on your Gift Cards and/or Online Gift Certificates cover the total amount purchased.

Distinguished Correspondent
scott88
0 Kudos

Michael-V wrote:

All publishers require that the eBooks they submit, including free eBooks, are encrypted for each customer.  The “unlock” device is the billing name and credit card number of the primary credit card on your Barnes & Noble account. 

Gift Cards/eGift Cards/Online Gift Certificates must be saved to an account before you can redeem them to purchase eBooks, single issue eMagazines, or single issue eNewspapers. Once saved, they will be automatically applied to your eBook purchases.

Any available gift card balance will be redeemed first. Your default credit card will be charged for the remaining balance, if any. A default credit card is still required for eBook purchases, even if the funds on your Gift Cards and/or Online Gift Certificates cover the total amount purchased.

So do we have to keep track of what CC we used to buy a book? Years from now when I want to unlock a book I am going to have to remember which CC number I used to buy it?

If I change the CC on file and down load the book again does that change the CC number used to decode your book, or is the original number still used?

I am a leaf on the wind, watch how I soar.
Scribe
03FLHT2
0 Kudos

Yes, that will work.

Correspondent
illmunkeys
0 Kudos

scott88 wrote:

If I change the CC on file and down load the book again does that change the CC number used to decode your book, or is the original number still used?

It uses the new CC number.  The encryption is placed on download.

Frequent Contributor
MLBerry
0 Kudos

You can, of course, sideload and read non DRM portected books.

New User
Ipploit
0 Kudos

You would think the ebook people would have learned a lesson from the music folks.  This is exactly what creates piracy.  When publishers make people jump through hoops to legally purchase content that can be downloaded for free it drives people to pirate content.  What is worse is that this makes no sense.  If I walk into BN I can purchase a book with case no questions asked.  I can then take the book home scan it, save it as a PDF and put it on my nook.  Interestingly enough I can also find a PDF of just about any book I want in the form of a torrent file.  Riddle me this Batman how does one distinguish between a PDF file I created from a hard copy book I purchased and a PDF file I created from a downloaded torrent file?

Bibliophile
bklvr896
0 Kudos

Ipploit wrote:

You would think the ebook people would have learned a lesson from the music folks.  This is exactly what creates piracy.  When publishers make people jump through hoops to legally purchase content that can be downloaded for free it drives people to pirate content.  What is worse is that this makes no sense.  If I walk into BN I can purchase a book with case no questions asked.  I can then take the book home scan it, save it as a PDF and put it on my nook.  Interestingly enough I can also find a PDF of just about any book I want in the form of a torrent file.  Riddle me this Batman how does one distinguish between a PDF file I created from a hard copy book I purchased and a PDF file I created from a downloaded torrent file?

Not that I don't disagree that DRM isn't the answer, yes you can take a book home, scan it and create a PDF, but that's work on your part, and depending if you know what your doing, may or may not make an enjoyably readable copy.  On the other hand, buying a non DRM book from a retailer and making it available on a website for free download by others is fairly easy and simple.

Since eBooks are never going to be $0.99, which is part of what makes people just buy the legal copy rather than the pirated copy, they need to find a way to sell me the book, let me donate it or loan it a friend if I want, without someone being able to simply give the book away to anyone who wants it by putting it on a download site.  If a non DRM eBook is for sale at $6.99 and there's a identical, free or cheap (but illegal) copy somewhere, there will be a lot of folks who will opt for the free or cheap copy because of the price. 

Distinguished Correspondent
SlaughterS
0 Kudos

Ipploit wrote:

...When publishers make people jump through hoops to legally purchase content that can be downloaded for free it drives people to pirate content..

By "jump through hoops" you mean having a debit/credit card in order to purchase from an online store ?

About 99.9% of online stores work this way. 

This is the Internet. I'm not going to let my complete lack of actual knowledge stop me from giving my opinion....
Reader
honeybeeBY
0 Kudos

All you need to do is apply for a debit card, such as Excella.  Go online or call and have a card sent to you.

Inspired Wordsmith
donc13

Ipploit wrote:

Riddle me this ipploit.....just because something can be downloaded for free, does NOT make it legal.

And because they make you jump through hoops (and very, very simple hoops in this case) does not make it ok to steal.

How does one distinguish between a thief who steals your cash and a thief who steals your royalties?

---------
Don
New User
screwbarnesandnoble
0 Kudos

The real problem is the greedy idiots require YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION FOR NO VALID REASON..Screw corp america and the corrupt politicians...I wouldn't give it to them if I had one ! THer are thousands of other book sellers.. As soon as you resolve the purchase go to calibre and remove all the drm so the problem doesn't plaque you for the rest of your life..
New User
screwbarnesandnoble
0 Kudos

riddle me this...Who is going tho break every drm and distribute worldwide ???
Inspired Scribe
kamas716
0 Kudos

screwbarnesandnoble wrote:
The real problem is the greedy idiots require YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION FOR NO VALID REASON..Screw corp america and the corrupt politicians...I wouldn't give it to them if I had one ! THer are thousands of other book sellers.. As soon as you resolve the purchase go to calibre and remove all the drm so the problem doesn't plaque you for the rest of your life..

Blame the publishers, they are the ones that are requiring DRM.  The DRM scheme that B&N utilizes allows for the legal lending of DRM protected eBooks.  Since the publishers require DRM, B&N chose to tie it to something that you aren't going to simply hand out to everyone at the mall, but which still allows you to share my eBooks with your friends and relatives in a legal manner.  Also, stipping DRM (even for your own personal use) may be illegal, depending on where you reside.

http://www.goodreads.com/kamas716
Distinguished Bibliophile
MacMcK1957

screwbarnesandnoble wrote:
riddle me this...Who is going tho break every drm and distribute worldwide ???

Based on the history of the music industry, millions and millions of people.