Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Distinguished Correspondent
SlaughterS
0 Kudos

Book Publishers are Idiots - eBook Prices.

[ Edited ]

I've come to the conclusion that a lot of Book Publishers must be idiots.  All this scrambling around and worrying - trying to figure out how to price ebooks so they don't hurt their hard book sales.  Trying to come up with some brand new way to price and release books.

Why not follow the exact same model they have been using for the last 50 years ?  A staggered release schedule with a declining cost attached.

Publish Hardback. 

Months later when hardback sales take a dip - Publish paper back at a reduced price.

Months later when paperback sales take a dip - Publish ebook at reduced price.

The prices and release dates would vary, but here is an example:

Release date - Hard back - $25

3-6 Months after release - Paper back - $7-$8

6-9 Months after release - eBook - $4 - $5

This is the Internet. I'm not going to let my complete lack of actual knowledge stop me from giving my opinion....
Frequent Contributor
harkinat0r
0 Kudos

Re: Book Publishers are Idiots - eBook Prices.

So, you want to wait several months to read books on your Nook from when they are released in print?

Frequent Contributor
want2know
0 Kudos

I live in a city that has multiple B&N & Border stores close to where I live.  I was not a B&N customer before buying my Nook. Since getting the Nook I have purchased many eBooks at $9.99.  I will not pay anymore than that for renting a book.  Border's book store almost every couple of weeks sends me a 40% off coupon for any one item in their store.  So why would I rent a book when for the same money I can have the real item?

Bibliophile
bklvr896

I don't want to wait 6-9 months to get the ebook version, I want it when the hardback comes out.  I think what they need to understand is that folks who buy the ebook probably aren't going to by the hardback.  There are only a few authors where I will spend the money on the hardback and then with B&N discounts and coupons, I can usually get it fairly cheap.

Staggered pricing is fine.  Charge more the ebook when it first comes out, then, when the paperback comes out, reduce the ebook price accordingly.  Which should be less than the paperback, I don't think an ebook should ever cost more than the paper copy.

What I'd also like to see is if you buy the hardback, you get the ebook with it.  Might encourage some people who like having books around but want to read on the Nook, to buy the hardback.

Growing pains, like the music industry, although one would have thought they might have learned something from the music industry.  Time will tell. 

Inspired Correspondent
Mosier42
0 Kudos

This is exactly what the book publishers would like to do.  The want to be able to dynamically price their ebooks to reflect the pricing model that they have used for paper books forever.  As I understand, the "hardbook ebook' price would be top out at around $14.99 and the "paperback ebook" price would top out at around $9.99.  Apple has also come out and said that they had wanted to make sure they could undersell at $9.99 for bestsellers as well.

Frequent Contributor
pjames_clarke
0 Kudos

I don't mind a pricing structure like that of movie rentals.  New releases are more expensive than ones that have been out for awhile.

I don't think they should apply the model they have been using for the past 50 years, sorry.  I do not want to wait and be treated as a third tier customer. 

MY "book" cost me almost $300.  I would actually like to get the ebook BEFORE the hardback.  Sure, I'll pay $15 for it, but I was never a big hardback buyer (go to the library for that) in the first place.  If I got the ebook version BEFORE the HB came out, I think I would bite a lot more on NEW books. :smileyhappy:

- pjc

Frequent Contributor
Paul58
0 Kudos

pjames_clarke wrote:

I don't mind a pricing structure like that of movie rentals.  New releases are more expensive than ones that have been out for awhile.

- pjc

I could live with this, mainly because approximately 2-3 weeks after a new movie release hits the major rental outlets, it's consider being out awhile and the price drops!  I can wait 2-3 weeks for the New Release eBook price to drop from $14.99 to $9.99 or less!

Inspired Bibliophile
LarryOnLI
0 Kudos

Count me as another one who would pay a price closer to the hardback price for an eBook released at the same time as the hardcover.

I actually was a purchaser of hardcover books for selected authors and series (Tom Clancy's Jack Ryan novels, both of Jim Butcher's series).

I want to read my favorites on my nook AND I want to read them as soon as they come out. So I'll pay a bit more for the eBook when it first comes out.

However once the paperback is released I would expect the eBook price to drop.

Frequent Contributor
Tisha_PA
0 Kudos

SlaughterS wrote:

I can honestly say that if they went to this model, I would probably forget that I wanted to read the book by the time the ebook came out.  In which case, not only would they not be selling me the DTB, they also wouldn't be selling me the ebook.  I think this is a terrible idea. 

SlaughterS
0 Kudos

harkinat0r wrote:

So, you want to wait several months to read books on your Nook from when they are released in print?

Since I never buy hardbacks - this is exactly what I have been doing for the past 20 or 30 years.  I wait several months before they are released in paperback. I never had a problem with this before.

BUT

I can see the point of some people wanting an ebook earlier.  In that case - simply keep to the staggard release schedule I mentioned - just simply offer the ebook at all three differnt time periods.  Possibly with a small (5%?) reduction in price compared to their paper counter parts.  When you get to the last period drop the ebook price to $4 - $5

This is the Internet. I'm not going to let my complete lack of actual knowledge stop me from giving my opinion....
Reader
TraeBlain

Your suggestion is a horrible model, but saying that they should use the same model they've been using for 50 years is exactly right. eBooks, due to the reduced manufacturing costs, should be 60%-75% the cheapest retail price (not MSRP, retail). So a brand new book like: Worst Case (Michael Bennett Series #3) is $18.66 not the $27.99 MSRP. So the eBook version should be 75% (if I take a standard model) of that price, $13.99. Then after a few weeks to months, the book would be cheaper, assume the price members are getting for it now. So eBook would be $12.59. Then when the paperback comes out, priced around $11.99, the eBook would be $8.99. Then when the mass market paperback is released, the eBook price would be around $5.99 or less. 

Publishers should see eBooks not as a product leaching away hardcover sales, but a way to reclaim sales from the used book market. If older eBooks are $3-$4 dollars why would I go to Half-Priced Books or Amazon and B&N marketplace when I could just buy the eBook for about as cheap? And the publisher will get a cut in that sale where they get nothing in the second hand market. Be smart, publishers....

Contributor
DawnH
0 Kudos

I also like the idea of getting my eBook at a good price when the hardback is released. I will probably tend to buy more eBooks, and less paper books since I love my nook so much! My biggest gripe at the moment is not being able to get a member discount. If all I buy are eBooks and eMags now, my B&N membership becomes pretty worthless. I pay for a yearly membership, I would like to get something out of it. That should be considered in the cost model.

SlaughterS
0 Kudos

TraeBlain wrote:

Your suggestion is a horrible model...

Errr... Thank you ?

Frequent Contributor
pjames_clarke
0 Kudos

I still like the idea of getting the ebook BEFORE the hardback comes out. :smileytongue:

OR

what if you "pre-ordered" the ebook and it gave you the first "X" amount of pages and then on the same day the Hardback came out, your ebook version "unlocked"?  Hmmm?  :smileyhappy:  Of course for $12-15 too.

I think that would be pretty okay with me.  I get it before all the tree killers (i kid, i <3 real books to ever give them up) and my appetite is throughly whetted.

- pjc

Inspired Bibliophile
FrogAlum
0 Kudos

LarryOnLI wrote:

Count me as another one who would pay a price closer to the hardback price for an eBook released at the same time as the hardcover.

I actually was a purchaser of hardcover books for selected authors and series (Tom Clancy's Jack Ryan novels, both of Jim Butcher's series).

I want to read my favorites on my nook AND I want to read them as soon as they come out. So I'll pay a bit more for the eBook when it first comes out.

However once the paperback is released I would expect the eBook price to drop.

I have all of them on my nook now, I just wonder if he ever going to write another!!!!

Tom Clancy (if he ever gets back to it), Catherine Coulter's FBI series and J.D. Robb's In Death series are my must haves as soon as released!  All of these are on my nook now.  :smileyhappy:

BUT, just because I "have to have it" doesn't mean I automatically jump to B&N, the new In Death book is $13+ on B&N, I picked it up at Kobo for $7.49.  One of my primary reasons for purchasing the nook was the ability to shop around.

Inspired Bibliophile
FrogAlum
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Tisha_PA wrote:

SlaughterS wrote:

I can honestly say that if they went to this model, I would probably forget that I wanted to read the book by the time the ebook came out.  In which case, not only would they not be selling me the DTB, they also wouldn't be selling me the ebook.  I think this is a terrible idea. 

Not to mention, most of the books I read take 6 months to a year before they arrive in paperback form, I don't see that changing anytime soon.

Inspired Bibliophile
FrogAlum
0 Kudos

TraeBlain wrote:

Your suggestion is a horrible model, but saying that they should use the same model they've been using for 50 years is exactly right. eBooks, due to the reduced manufacturing costs, should be 60%-75% the cheapest retail price (not MSRP, retail). So a brand new book like: Worst Case (Michael Bennett Series #3) is $18.66 not the $27.99 MSRP. So the eBook version should be 75% (if I take a standard model) of that price, $13.99. Then after a few weeks to months, the book would be cheaper, assume the price members are getting for it now. So eBook would be $12.59. Then when the paperback comes out, priced around $11.99, the eBook would be $8.99. Then when the mass market paperback is released, the eBook price would be around $5.99 or less. 

Publishers should see eBooks not as a product leaching away hardcover sales, but a way to reclaim sales from the used book market. If older eBooks are $3-$4 dollars why would I go to Half-Priced Books or Amazon and B&N marketplace when I could just buy the eBook for about as cheap? And the publisher will get a cut in that sale where they get nothing in the second hand market. Be smart, publishers....

Bad example as that book can be pre-ordered for $8.55 instead of your $13.99

Worst Case (Michael Bennett Series #3)

Bibliophile
bklvr896
0 Kudos

SlaughterS wrote:

Since I never buy hardbacks - this is exactly what I have been doing for the past 20 or 30 years.  I wait several months before they are released in paperback. I never had a problem with this before.

Some authors or publishers wait a year to release the paperback.  Lee Child writes one Jack Reacher book a year and the paperback version of the previous one is issued about the same time as the new hardback.  Same for Janet Evonvich's Stephanie Plum series.  So it isn't a matter of waiting a few months, but in some cases, a year.

Globaltech
0 Kudos

when movies get old you can rent them for a dollar.

why isn't it the same with books?

+++++++++++++++++++
¡sʞooq ɹǝʎ ,uıןɐǝʇs sɯnɹoɟ ǝɥʇ uı ǝɹɐ sǝʇɐɹıd ¡sǝou ɥo
Frequent Contributor
pjames_clarke

Well if you live in San Diego where I do, the libraries lend ebooks with the help of my employer, Sony :smileyhappy:

San Diego Library to lend ebooks

- pjc