Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

New User
trahuly
0 Kudos

Book light LOUSY customer satisfaction

I am stuck now because I own a NOOK, so I have to but e-books from B&N but I will not purchase gifts from B&N EVER again. I have never dealt with such a big business where they did not try to keep their customers. I received a NOOK as a gift, after waiting 8 weeks for it. I was SO excited! It didn't come with a cover so I immediately went on line and ordered the light/cover one. This was on DECEMBER 17th. It is 3 months later and it is delayed again. It took me 3 phone calls and 1 HANG UP and I finally spoke to a "manager" who took my number and will have another manager call me back. ALL I WANT is for them to send me a $20.00 book cover to protect my nook until they can send me the one I purchased. This is so aggravating. How can B&N get away with service like this? I even tried to return my nook so I can by the Kindle but I have owned it for to long.

I know there are lawsuits going on and I hope that B&N experiences the aggravation that they dish out to their customers. I know that in light of the worlds problems this is such a little inconvenience but.....

Frequent Contributor
kt328
0 Kudos

Re: Book light LOUSY customer satisfaction

Wow! Do you actually like your Nook?  Would you really swap it for a kindle just because the demand for B&N accessories has been so overwhelming, particularly when the are so many wonderful covers etc. for sale elsewhere online. 

JCK
New User
JCK
0 Kudos

I just bought a Nook 1 week ago. And I love it. I don't have a cover yet, only because there are so many to choose from I want to get just the right one. I don't understand why you expect B&N to give you a cover. If you are tired of waiting, cancel your order and get one off of eBay or Amazon. The customer demand is so high right now, they are overwhelmed. I don't think getting a kindle will solve your problems.

Reader
Bishop6
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

I do understand your frustration, but also realize that you do not *have* to buy ebooks from B&N to use on your nook.  It's just more convenient that way.  There are numerous other sources from which you can buy ebooks, if you are dead set on not giving B&N any more of your money.

Inspired Contributor
JohnP51
0 Kudos

How do you act when they short you a few fries in your Happy Meal?

John

"Books are for people who wish they were somewhere else." ~ Mark Twain
AlanNJ
Topics: 64
Kudos: 1,518
0 Kudos

I'm assuming that the order can't possibly be changed to another cover that may be available?  I had such a huge selection in my B&N that I had trouble deciding between them all.

►Without order there is chaos◄
Inspired Contributor
JohnP51
0 Kudos

When my cover was backordered, B&N had placed an option on my order page allowing me to cancel it anytime before shipment. I could have then selected another cover if had wanted to. But the one I wanted was worth my waiting for it.

John

"Books are for people who wish they were somewhere else." ~ Mark Twain
Frequent Contributor
Bamrz
0 Kudos

Here's a link to a neoprene case that comes with a light for 17.95. http://www.amazon.com/Dual-Pocket-Neoprene-E-Reader-Reading-Included/dp/B0035LYOOY/ref=pd_ys_iyr_img The one I ordered came in about 6 days. My nook fits inside with plenty of room to spare, and will even fit inside with the Sinclair cover on it, although it's really snug. The light clips onto my nook, works very well, and will fit into the front pocket of the case.

I realize it's not the cover you ordered, but I know how you feel about wanting a cover to protect your nook.

Sue

Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming WOO HOO - what a ride!!!
Distinguished Scribe
sub_rosa

JohnP51 wrote:

How do you act when they short you a few fries in your Happy Meal?

Now I know what the P stands for (rhymes with trick)

Don't buy from Random House, Macmillan, or Penguin until the agency model is COMPLETELY dead.
Frequent Contributor
Danuke
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

no, it's sort of an attempt to be sly i.e. the WWII fighter P51 Mustang. It crashes, just like his unnecessary comment.

I apologize to the rest of the readers, but I feel that this is not the World of Warcraft blogs or whatever and comments such at the one made by mr. P51 are out of line.

For naught doth kill a man so soon as death!
Inspired Bibliophile
FrogAlum
0 Kudos

New User
pamtanner1
0 Kudos

I too am truly frustrated with my order for the cover with the book light attached.  I ordered mine on 12/31/2009.  Wrote customer service yesterday, and now they are saying it will be JUNE 2010 before it "might" be delivered.  They almost didn't make their delivery dates for the actual Nook prior to Christmas, so....shouldn't it have been an indicator, that to massive responses for the device, they might want to think ahead and have sufficient stock of inventories of the accessories as well?

None of this would have been necessary, if they thought ahead and designed the nook to be backlit in the first place.  The bottom part of the device is back lit, so why couldn't the actual reading screen been backlit too? 

It truly is frustrating.  6 months to get the case you order.  So I guess the question is....is it really worth that long of a wait, or do I take my money elsewhere and purchase a case from anywhere else other than Barnes and Noble.  The way I see it now, the only thing they can deliver on a timely basis, is the actual downloading of an e-book. 

Correspondent
thegogglestheydonothing

pamtanner1 wrote:

None of this would have been necessary, if they thought ahead and designed the nook to be backlit in the first place.  The bottom part of the device is back lit, so why couldn't the actual reading screen been backlit too?

While I do sympathize with your frustration in not getting the light/cover you want, do you not know that ereaders in general are designed without a backlight because their purpose in part is to reduce eye strain? This is not a design flaw, it's what many people who buy ereaders actually WANT.

Frequent Contributor
ratdog

Amazon has a selection of Nook covers.

Lawsuits? over a book light? really?

AlanNJ
0 Kudos

If the Nook had a backlight battery life would be much less than it already is.  It's a tradeoff.

Correspondent
thegogglestheydonothing

AlanNJ wrote:

If the Nook had a backlight battery life would be much less than it already is.  It's a tradeoff.

It's not a tradeoff for those of us who bought it because there is no backlight.

I am really surprised that people are still not grasping the concept of not wanting a backlight. I have a pc and a netbook, and could read just fine on either, but I tried and as much as I love my netbook, my vision literally blurs and I start seeing huge blotchy spots when I read too long on it. I bought a nook so I could read like I would a regular book and not have my vision go wacky.

AlanNJ
0 Kudos

I agree.  I can read my Nook anywhere I can read a regular book.  That's what I wanted and expected when I purchased the Nook.

Inspired Wordsmith
mykoffee
0 Kudos

I can't imagine returning my Nook because they couldn't get my cover in stock, why not just order another cover?   When I got my Nook the cover I wanted was sold out so I've placed myself on backorder for it,  no biggie.  It's supposed to be ready on April 1 but if something were to happen and it was going to take ages I'd just order something else.

Definitely do not want a backlight,  in fact it's one of the reasons I narrowed my choice down to a Kindle or a Nook.   No backlight is much easier on the eyes.

If you're miserable without the cover you ordered and would rather send your Nook back than order another you can try selling it on Ebay.  I see the Nooks going for close to or right at retail.

Linda

Distinguished Bibliophile
deemure
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

I truly can't understand buying the cover with the light anyway.  I looked at it and dismissed it because if either the light or the cover breaks, or you don't like the cover or the light, you are stuck with it as is and have to go out and buy both.

I also like a light I can move to change position based on where I want it.  I'm not saying it wouldn't be frustrating to not get what was ordered, but by now I would have canceled the cover and light order and moved on, rather than making a post that sounds a little bit contrived.  Just me.

"I still believe in spite of everything that people are good at heart." Anne Frank.
Frequent Contributor
DHawthorne
0 Kudos

Ironically enough, I found the best (for my tastes) carry case for my Nook on Amazon, and cover on eBay. BN is having stock issues with their accessories, and I just decided I didn't want to wait for them. Besides, the BN stuff is way too pricey. The only one available in my local store was a simple canvas sleeve with a strap that flips over the open end ... and it cost $65. Forget that, and no, I am not impressed that it is "designer."  :smileyhappy:.