Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Contributor
scott9282
0 Kudos

Books Don't Seem To Close Out

I have several books on my Nook that are "stuck" on the last page.  I have finished the books but they don't seem to close out.  There are other books that I've finished that did close.  Not sure when this happened, possibly after the last software upgrade.

Anyone have any ideas?

Contributor
Robbi129
0 Kudos

Re: Books Don't Seem To Close Out

I have never had a book "close" when I am finished reading it.  when you click on the book, there is an option that says "go to" and I choose cover.  You can pick which ever page you want. 

Distinguished Wordsmith
Conniecats
0 Kudos

I also take mine back to the cover and then reshelve it on my "already read" bookshelf.

Contributor
scott9282
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

The problem here seems to be that these books are all "stuck" on the last page.  So even if I go back to page 1, it still shows the book as "open".  Which means I can't use the "lend me" feature.

How do I get the books to close?  It was never a problem before.  I've had my Nook for over a year now and this has just started happening.

Distinguished Bibliophile
ABthree
0 Kudos

@scott9282

Welcome!  :smileyhappy:

"Open" and "closed" are really just metaphors -- it's more like active or inactive.  Or frozen.  If a book is frozen, you can't get back to your Library listing or open a new book.  Is that that situation you're in?

If not, then you should be able to select "Go To>Cover" and see your book revert to the cover.  Then when you exit the book to the Library listing, you should see the book title followed by "Page 1 of XXX".

When you do these things, is this what you see?

+LORD, preserve the good in their goodness, and+
+in your kindness, make the wicked become good.+
-- St. Basil the Great+
Frequent Contributor
cbtengr
0 Kudos

I have lent books that I was in the middle of reading with no problem.  The "open/closed" concept has no effect on lending as far as I can see.  Are you sure it is a lendable book?

To me, a book is "open" when I am actually reading it, if not it is "closed".  If you cannot navigate back to the cover, that's something different and the Nook isn't working properly.

Contributor
scott9282
0 Kudos

I'm not making my problem clear.

Here's what happens:  I read a book that has 648 pages.  I get to the end of the book and go to My Library.  This book that I was just finished reading now says "on page 648 of 648" and that never goes away.  Instead of just seeing, in My B&N Library just the book title, author and purchase date the page numbers are there forever.

Customer support has been completely unhelpful up to this point.  Between having one support person tell me she was making notes to possibly get the nook replaced (it is out of warranty of course) to the support person now who says there were no notes and he can't understand the problem, I am underwhelmed with B&N support.

Unregistering and re-registering the nook and re-downloading the books worked, but that is not an option for a normal course of use.

Is anyone else seeing this where the page numbers just stay on the My B&N Library page and never go away?

Contributor
MikeF_NJ
0 Kudos

I think the problem you are experiencing is actually one of the changes they made when they went from the 1.4 firmware to the 1.5 version. (Maybe it was a different update.  I wouldn't know. I've only had 1.5)  The concept of a "closed" book went away.  On my Nook (3G+Wifi), once I "open" a book for the first time, the "on page x of y" displays from then on. 

As someone else pointed out, this shouldn't affect the LendMe feature at all.  Check on the B&N website to see if the book is still part of the LendMe program.

Frequent Contributor
cbtengr
0 Kudos

scott9282 wrote:

Here's what happens:  I read a book that has 648 pages.  I get to the end of the book and go to My Library.  This book that I was just finished reading now says "on page 648 of 648" and that never goes away.  Instead of just seeing, in My B&N Library just the book title, author and purchase date the page numbers are there forever.

Customer support has been completely unhelpful up to this point.  Between having one support person tell me she was making notes to possibly get the nook replaced (it is out of warranty of course) to the support person now who says there were no notes and he can't understand the problem, I am underwhelmed with B&N support.

Unregistering and re-registering the nook and re-downloading the books worked, but that is not an option for a normal course of use.

Is anyone else seeing this where the page numbers just stay on the My B&N Library page and never go away?

You've made your problem clear, we just don't agree that it is a problem.  If you open the book and go from the last page to the cover, it will revert to page 1.  The numbering only shows for books in the BN library, sideloaded don't have it.  Replacing your Nook is not going to change anything, maybe the next update will give the option to hide the numbers.  I leave at the last page as a reminder that I finished reading a book.

Distinguished Scribe
Ya_Ya
0 Kudos

scott9282 wrote:

[SNIP]

Yes, I'm seeing this and yes, I agree it is a problem.

There is no fix, however.  This was introduced as part of v1.5.  Once you open a book it will show the last page number visited before you left the book.  For a finished book this is "Page XYZ of XYZ."  You can "Go to Cover" and it will now show "Page 1 of XYZ."  There is no way for B&N ebooks to be "closed."

I, and several others, have requested that this be a feature in v1.6 if there is a v1.6.

(If you use Calibre to sideload, everytime you add something the "slate" is wiped clean on "My Documents.")

SOme report that if you change the view of the books (by Author, I think) that you won't see the page numbers at all, but that's really not a great solution IMO.

Anyway, your NOOK is not malfunctioning.  This is a "feature" of the software.  There is no way to do what you want to do, short of unregistering/reregistering.

Distinguished Correspondent
GordonF
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

You've made yourself clear - you aren't listening:

Open - Actively Reading

Closed - Not Actively Reading

What Page Of Page is displayed has no effect on the ability to Lend a book using the Lend Me feature. At all. I've lent several showing the on "page 384 of 384" or whatever the last page is.

It's a cosmetic thing, not a "problem" ... I don't particularly care about it either way as it HAS NO EFFECT ON FUNCTION.

Edit: if for any reason you have to redownload or reload your library is loses that little bit of information. Like during a version update, archiving and unarchiving, or resetting the device.

Stop At Nothing - Show Your Teeth
Distinguished Scribe
Ya_Ya
0 Kudos

GordonF wrote:

It's a cosmetic thing, not a "problem" ... I don't particularly care about it either way as it HAS NO EFFECT ON FUNCTION.

Edit: if for any reason you have to redownload or reload your library is loses that little bit of information. Like during a version update, archiving and unarchiving, or resetting the device.

Archiving/unarchiving doesn't have any effect on this.  Only unregister/reregister, factory reset or factory fallback.

Anyway, I disagree a little with this not being "a problem."  It doesn't affect the function of the device, but it could easily be considered an expected feature.  When I close a DTB, it doesn't sit open on the last page.  It sits closed on its shelf and nobody ever knows it was read.  It's fair that a reader might want their electronic books to do the same, especially because before v1.5 the page numbers didn't appear at all.

Maybe it should be considered more a missing feature than a problem, but I don't think anyone who dislikes it is out of line in requesting that it be fixed.  If you like it as is, you will still be able to leave it on the last page and see it that way.

It certainly seems like a "feature" that should be included far moreso than a calendar, a notepad, the games we already have. It would certainly be more valuable, to me!,  than merging "My Documents" with "My B&N Downloads" which many have demanded.  If Archiving/Unarchiving cleared it, I'd be thrilled.

All of this is moot because I suspect there will be no v1.6 and if my suspicion is correct, OP and I will have to live with the problem/missing feature. 

GordonF

Some people use it to guage which books they've already read - for them it's a feature.

Some people find it bothersome - for them it's a bug.

Some people don't actually care - for them it's nothing.

A problem is something that interferes with functionality. Everything else is a preference.

New User
carnuts55
0 Kudos

Robbi129 wrote:

I have never had a book "close" when I am finished reading it.  when you click on the book, there is an option that says "go to" and I choose cover.  You can pick which ever page you want. 

I am having the same problem as Scott and I have always had my books closeout when I start a new book. Since the new 1.2 was loaded on my nookcolor I have to open a book by choosing it not the book icon that says continue reading. If I choose the continue reading Icon it starts on page one everytime. Plus my last book read has not closed out.

New User
carnuts55
0 Kudos

Gordon F are you kidding me. We are listening and you are no help at all. I am having the same problem as scott and it can not be fixed. This is not A COSMETIC PROBLEM. It is a software problem that did not happen to the prior to the recent update. This is typical for tech guys to blame it on everything but their new update. Thanks for all your help  and your crappy attitude towards users.

Correspondent
tabascobaby
0 Kudos

carnuts55 wrote:

Gordon F are you kidding me. We are listening and you are no help at all. I am having the same problem as scott and it can not be fixed. This is not A COSMETIC PROBLEM. It is a software problem that did not happen to the prior to the recent update. This is typical for tech guys to blame it on everything but their new update. Thanks for all your help  and your crappy attitude towards users.

Perhaps you should take it in to the store and see if they can fix it, Or even go over to the nookColor tech boards as people on this board have limited knowledge of that.

Nallia
Topics: 125
Kudos: 3,236
0 Kudos

carnuts55 wrote:

Perhaps you should post on the correct board.  You have a NOOKcolor.  This is the board for the NOOK.  You issue has nothing to do with this thread, as it is a different device with a different problem.

GordonF
0 Kudos

carnuts55 wrote:

That is literally one of the stupidest paragraphs I have ever read.

I happen to use the "on page X of X" as a quick visual cue of "read that" ... An ebook is Closed if you are not reading it, no matter what page it says it's on.

That's not a functionality issue, that's just a thing, a notation. A cosmetic foible if you happen not to like it. For me, it's an interesting feature.

Frequent Contributor
porschlady
0 Kudos

When I've finished reading a book I tap the page, take the 'page finder' (the straight line with the ball on it) at the bottom and drag it back to pp 1. Then I take it off my "Reading Now" shelf.

sharing acct. obviously not the above