Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Contributor
MariaTipps
0 Kudos

Books not from Nook Store

Hi!  I recently purchased a Nook, and I have a question.  If I download books from websites (not the Nook store), how do I get them on my Nook?  What do I need to do?  Thanks for your help!

Correspondent
Byteguy
0 Kudos

Re: Books not from Nook Store

Short answer... SIDELOAD.

http://bookclubs.barnesandnoble.com/t5/NOOK-General-Discussion/sideloading/m-p/780508/highlight/true...

Long answer... it depends on the book.  There are formats that are not supported (no Kindle for you) and there are formats (like library books) that need to be put first on your PC and then pushed over using special software.

One suggestion.  Get an SD card for your Nook.  Internal memory can be a bit small and you can load thousands of books on even a $4 2GB card.

Reader
jwdriggs
0 Kudos

I'm not sure of all the file types supported but if it's either an epub or pdf file you will be fine.  Adding them to the nook is simple also just follow those directions linked above and you should have no problems.  The abilty to do that is why I chose a Nook over a Kindle.

Correspondent
Alanakat
0 Kudos

I noticed you used to be able to request a title become a Nook book, but I don't see that option anymore when you look up a book. Has this been removed or am I just missing it?

Thanks,

Correspondent
Byteguy
0 Kudos

You're not missing anything.

There's a thread about its absence over in Tech Support:

http://bookclubs.barnesandnoble.com/t5/Ask-Your-Community-Manager/Tell-the-Publisher-Button-Missing/...

New User
BrewManNH
0 Kudos

Download the program Calibre from http://calibre-ebook.com/ .It will allow you to load nearly any type of ebook onto a Nook, it will convert them on the fly if needed to a format you specify as well if it isn't in a Nook compatible format already. I've used it for a while now with my Nook 1 and it works great.

Contributor
MariaTipps
0 Kudos

I understand that I need to put the books on my computer first, but what I'm wondering is how to get the books from my computer to my Nook.  I need to connect my Nook to my computer, but then what?

Inspired Contributor
gkaiseil
0 Kudos

You connect your Nook to your computer with the USB charging cable to your computer's USB port. The first time, your computer will recognize the new device and install the necessary drivers so your computer will recognize the Nook as a new removable disk drive. If you insert a Micro SC card, that card will also appear as new removable hard drive. You can use Window's Explorer or Mac's Finder program to copy and paste files as needed.

If you install Adobe Digital Editions, ADE, , you can register you Nook to ADE and use the ADE interface to drag and drop books form your computer to your Nook.

Distinguished Bibliophile
keriflur

BrewManNH wrote:

Download the program Calibre from http://calibre-ebook.com/ .It will allow you to load nearly any type of ebook onto a Nook, it will convert them on the fly if needed to a format you specify as well if it isn't in a Nook compatible format already. I've used it for a while now with my Nook 1 and it works great.

You can only convert the files with Calibre if they are not DRM protected, unless you also download and install the plug-in that strips DRM (note that this is from a different vendor than Calibre, though it is also free, and that stripping DRM is illegal).

Just an FYI.

Frequent Contributor
Zion21
0 Kudos

Sideloading through Calibre is nice, but you will never be as organized as you will be purchasing through the Nook Store. I find it's so much easier to buy through the Nook store and have everything arranged properly and kept up-to-date, especially if I upgrade or replace my Nook in the future.

Correspondent
Byteguy
0 Kudos

Zion21 wrote:

Sideloading through Calibre is nice, but you will never be as organized as you will be purchasing through the Nook Store. I find it's so much easier to buy through the Nook store and have everything arranged properly and kept up-to-date, especially if I upgrade or replace my Nook in the future.

Calibre has tons of organizing tools that far exceed the B&N website.  Add tags, search and sort by tag or date, or author, or series, or...  The website sorts by Title, Author, Date added, or Rating.  I like to tag books as "done", "now", "next" and "eventually" and quickly search by that.

If you get new hardware, Calibre will happily load your books on to your new Nook (or your phone, or your "insert one of hundreds of other devices here").

And, well, I'm frugal (ok, poor-ish) so I like free books and Calibre is happy to manage them for me. I don't see any way to add my Baen free books to My Nook Library on-line.