Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Frequent Contributor
JREwing
0 Kudos

Books on Kindle, But Not on Nook

The last three books I tried to order for my Nook are not available on the Nook, but are available on the Kindle.  I’m getting so fed up with this.  The three books are:

Jesus Manifesto by Frank Viola

The Great Emergence by Phyllis Tickle

The Hidden Power of the Gospels by Alexander Shaia

If this continues, I’m getting the new Kindle.  This is totally unacceptable.  The only benefit I’m getting from this Nook is the freebies at my local B&N.  I love the Nook and it’s interface, but this is frustrating me.

Reader
Todd022
0 Kudos

Re: Books on Kindle, But Not on Nook

I absolutely agree....I am VERY close to pulling the trigger on the new Kindle myself. EVERY time I haven't found a book I want (or need for my M.A.) it's been available for the Kindle. Better catch up B&N

Frequent Contributor
geertm
0 Kudos

JREwing wrote:

The last three books I tried to order for my Nook are not available on the Nook, but are available on the Kindle.  I’m getting so fed up with this.  The three books are:

Jesus Manifesto by Frank Viola

The Great Emergence by Phyllis Tickle

The Hidden Power of the Gospels by Alexander Shaia

If this continues, I’m getting the new Kindle.  This is totally unacceptable.  The only benefit I’m getting from this Nook is the freebies at my local B&N.  I love the Nook and it’s interface, but this is frustrating me.

Unlike the Kindle with the Nook you are not tied to just one store to buy DRM books. You can buy books at any store selling Adobe ePub and PDF books.

If you use a search engine like Addall or Inkmesh you will see that the second and third book can be bought at other ePub bookstores.

Using those same search engines you will see that the first book is only available in Kindle format, there is no ePub version.

Remember, B&N is not creating the e-books. The publisher has to create an ePub version of their books that can be supplied to B&N. If the publisher does not make an ePub version of the books available (only a Kindle version), there is not much B&N (and other bookstores) can do.

Inspired Correspondent
spider731

I did a search in the ebookstore from sony (I had a sony reader before my Nook) and found 2 of the 3. You can buy them there and sideload them onto your nook using Adobe Digital Editions. Here are the links:

http://ebookstore.sony.com/search?keyword=The+Great+Emergence

http://ebookstore.sony.com/search?keyword=the+hidden+power+of+the+gospels

As far as Jesus Manifesto? I'm sure if you look around you can probably find it somewhere. If the format is not epub you can always use Calibre to change it and sideload as well.

Hope that helps...

Rob

Distinguished Correspondent
salander_9277
0 Kudos

spider731 wrote:

I did a search in the ebookstore from sony (I had a sony reader before my Nook) and found 2 of the 3. You can buy them there and sideload them onto your nook using Adobe Digital Editions. Here are the links:

http://ebookstore.sony.com/search?keyword=The+Great+Emergence

http://ebookstore.sony.com/search?keyword=the+hidden+power+of+the+gospels

As far as Jesus Manifesto? I'm sure if you look around you can probably find it somewhere. If the format is not epub you can always use Calibre to change it and sideload as well.

Hope that helps...

Rob

Unfortunately DRM books will not load into Calibre to convert.  Just something to keep in mind.

However in general, the Nook with it's android os, microSD slot, and the ability to replace the battery yourself as well as check out books from your library makes the Nook a huge win over Kindle for me any day of the week.

To acquire the habit of reading is to construct for yourself a refuge from almost all the miseries of life. ~W. Somerset Maugham

http://greatexpectationsbookreview.blogspot.com
Inspired Correspondent
spider731
0 Kudos

salander_9277 wrote:

Unfortunately DRM books will not load into Calibre to convert.  Just something to keep in mind.

However in general, the Nook with it's android os, microSD slot, and the ability to replace the battery yourself as well as check out books from your library makes the Nook a huge win over Kindle for me any day of the week.

You're correct. My bad... But the ADE formatted books work great!! :->

Wordsmith
steffiebaby140

As mentioned previously 2 out of the 3 ebooks can be bought from another source and added to your Nook that way.  And if the 1st book is ONLY listed on Amazon, then perhaps that author/publisher has a special deal to only offer books with Amazon. 

If these are new ebooks that were just barely released then B&N may likely have them in a few days, for whatever reason B&N tends to lag by a little while on new releases sometimes.  Also, if you look in ebook discussion there is a thread where you can list the books that are not available for the Nook....people on this board have reported pretty good success at having the requested books available as an ebook quite quickly. 

If you decide to ignore all of these very good suggestions and get a Kindle then I hope you enjoy.  But the first time they don't have a book or price you like, just remember...you're stuck and can't buy from anywhere else.

In a perfect world the chicken would be able to cross the road without his intentions being questioned.
salander_9277
0 Kudos

steffiebaby140 wrote:

As mentioned previously 2 out of the 3 ebooks can be bought from another source and added to your Nook that way.  And if the 1st book is ONLY listed on Amazon, then perhaps that author/publisher has a special deal to only offer books with Amazon. 

If these are new ebooks that were just barely released then B&N may likely have them in a few days, for whatever reason B&N tends to lag by a little while on new releases sometimes.  Also, if you look in ebook discussion there is a thread where you can list the books that are not available for the Nook....people on this board have reported pretty good success at having the requested books available as an ebook quite quickly. 

If you decide to ignore all of these very good suggestions and get a Kindle then I hope you enjoy.  But the first time they don't have a book or price you like, just remember...you're stuck and can't buy from anywhere else.

Very good point.

To acquire the habit of reading is to construct for yourself a refuge from almost all the miseries of life. ~W. Somerset Maugham

Frequent Contributor
JREwing
0 Kudos

Ok, I took your advice and downloaded one book via Adobe pdf.  Now how do I get it to my Nook once it's on my computer?

salander_9277
0 Kudos

JREwing wrote:

Ok, I took your advice and downloaded one book via Adobe pdf.  Now how do I get it to my Nook once it's on my computer?

Plug in your Nook to you computer via usb cord.  If I remember correctly it just sideloaded automatically.

Distinguished Bibliophile
ABthree
0 Kudos

@JREwing

Welcome!  :smileyhappy:

Yes, it's annoying and frustrating when Amazon has a book I want and B&N doesn't yet.

Books like that should be posted to this thread:

Can't Find Your eBook? Tell Us Here

B&N is good about monitoring it, and I've had good luck with them coming up with the books in a few days or a couple of weeks.

+LORD, preserve the good in their goodness, and+
+in your kindness, make the wicked become good.+
-- St. Basil the Great+
Distinguished Bibliophile
ABthree
0 Kudos

JREwing wrote:

Drag and drop into My Documents on your Nook.

+LORD, preserve the good in their goodness, and+
+in your kindness, make the wicked become good.+
-- St. Basil the Great+
Inspired Correspondent
Sandikal
0 Kudos

One of the reasons I NEVER WANT a Kindle is because they do tend to make exclusive ebook publishing contracts.  I suspect that's what's happening with the first book.  If I were in your place, I would get the two books that are available in epub or pdf format from whatever source they are available from.  Then, I would just get the dead tree version of the first one.  Believe it or not, we can still get books made out of paper. 

Frequent Contributor
JREwing
0 Kudos

I just ran across another one.  "The Gospel for Real Life" by Jerry Bridges

I just downloaded the Sony Ebook tool, the Books on Board tool, Adobe Digital Library........but it's a pain to side load everything.  But I guess I will need to live with it.  Inkmesh seems to be a good site to get stuff.

Thanks for your help.  And sorry for the venting.  I do like my Nook. 

Frequent Contributor
JoeNook
0 Kudos

just think of it like putting songs on your ipod or MP3 player, same concept,  I do love the wireless download but sideloading is no more difficult than syncing songs to your player.

good luck