Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Reader 4
Beaz
0 Kudos

Books remain open after reading them

SInce the last 1.5 update every time I finish reading a book, the book stays "open" on that page in my library..for example it will show "On page 274 of 274:.  If I try and go back to the cover it will show "On page 1 of 274"  this will appear under every book I finish reading.  Is there anyway to get them back in the library list without page numbers coming up?  Anyone else having this problem?

Nallia
Topics: 125
Kudos: 3,236
0 Kudos

Re: Books remain open after reading them

Reader 4
Beaz

Thanks!

Distinguished Scribe
Ya_Ya
0 Kudos

Several of us would like to see the ability to close the book, though.  Add your voice to the v1.6 thread.

I don't care if I can mark it "read" with a tag or not. I just want those darned page numbers to quit showing up.  :smileytongue:

Distinguished Bibliophile
ABthree
0 Kudos

@Beaz

Welcome!  :smileyhappy:

As far as I know, that's always been true.  Nook keeps the last place you left off, and the last page is the same as any other page as far as the device is concerned.

The way I and many other people here with a touch of OCD close our books is, when we finish, to tap "Go To", then "Cover", so the book is "put away" at the beginning.

+LORD, preserve the good in their goodness, and+
+in your kindness, make the wicked become good.+
-- St. Basil the Great+
Correspondent
ChipPM
0 Kudos

I hope they DO NOT change that 'feature'! It is the only way I can tell if my 83 year old mother has read that particular book on her Nook or better yet has finished it. She forgets sometimes which she has read.

Then I know it is time to find new books for her. She loves to read Amish romances. Don't ask me why. Fortunately there are lots of them.

AlanNJ
Topics: 64
Kudos: 1,518
0 Kudos

I actually like seeing Page 383 of 383.  It lets me know I've finished the book.

►Without order there is chaos◄
Distinguished Correspondent
GordonF
0 Kudos

I also like this feature. The only alternative I can think of is when you turn to the last page in the book the list says "Finished" instead of "page 303 of 303" or something similar.

Stop At Nothing - Show Your Teeth
Frequent Contributor
jratease
0 Kudos

I've created a shelf called "Done Reading". All my books are on shelves labeled "A", "B", "C", ..."V-Z", etc. So when I finish a book I change the shelf from the letter shelf to "Done Reading". You could name the shelf "Finished", or anything else synonymous. They all have the "page x of x" on those books, but who cares. I don't read them.

Contributor
cms1171CS
0 Kudos

Yeah, I created a shelf called "Books I've Read" and once I finish a book I move it there.

I would love a strike thourgh or check mark feature to check off books I've read, but until that happens\, this shelf for finished books is working fine.

Frequent Contributor
Capt-Nemo
0 Kudos

I just simply go to the look up a specific page and roll the book back to page 1,or the cover.

Inspired Correspondent
CyborgQueen
0 Kudos

I have a few shelves (I think about 5 or so), and I just put it on "READ" shelf, and it goes at the END, so I never have to really look at it. I found that simple. 

I like the numbers because it tells me how many pages (approx) is that book and whether I'm in the mood for a long book, short story, or whatever.