Reply
Reader 4
Mad_MaxJM
Posts: 4
Registered: ‎01-10-2011
0 Kudos

Borrowning Library ebooks

Hello All,

 

     I received a nook for christmas and have enjoyed a couple of Gutenberg books as well as my first library epub book.  When I got the first epub, I added a bunch of books to my queue that had a waiting period.  Now, I'm next in line for the book and I'm not yet ready for it.  How long do I have between downloading the .acsm and opening the file with ADE?  Does my lending period begin when I download the .acsm from the library?  Or does it begin when i open the .acsm with ADE?  I'm guessing it is 21 days from downloading the .acsm, but I just wanted to make sure.  Thanks!

 

 

Distinguished Wordsmith
Josienjoe
Posts: 1,949
Registered: ‎02-15-2010
0 Kudos

Re: Borrowning Library ebooks

 


Mad_MaxJM wrote:

Hello All,

 

     I received a nook for christmas and have enjoyed a couple of Gutenberg books as well as my first library epub book.  When I got the first epub, I added a bunch of books to my queue that had a waiting period.  Now, I'm next in line for the book and I'm not yet ready for it.  How long do I have between downloading the .acsm and opening the file with ADE?  Does my lending period begin when I download the .acsm from the library?  Or does it begin when i open the .acsm with ADE?  I'm guessing it is 21 days from downloading the .acsm, but I just wanted to make sure.  Thanks!

 

 


I'm not sure but I would guess that once you receive notice that it's available, the clock will start ticking.  They may give you a period of time you have to download.

 

Reader 4
kinglouie
Posts: 4
Registered: ‎01-02-2011
0 Kudos

Re: Borrowning Library ebooks

I think that it probably has more to do with your library's specific rules than with ADE. I know at my library I have four days to "check out" my book after I get notified before the hold expires and moves on to the next person.

Frequent Contributor
ldalvarado
Posts: 40
Registered: ‎10-28-2010
0 Kudos

Re: Borrowning Library ebooks

The lending period starts once you "check out" the book from the library and has nothing to do with when you download it from the library or use ADE. However, there are some individuals who have had success with downloading a library book onto their Nook, opening it once, and still being able to read it after the lending period has expired.

 

Personally, what I do is go ahead and check it out and put it on my device. You never know about your time available, your abiliyy to read a book (or discard one that you can't get into) and you might get a chance to read it. If I don't get a chance to read it and it disappears,  then I put myself back in the hold queue.

Reader 4
Mad_MaxJM
Posts: 4
Registered: ‎01-10-2011
0 Kudos

Re: Borrowning Library ebooks

Thanks for the replies.  I know the library says I have 4 days to download the .acsm once I receive notice.  I guess I will have to test and see what happens if I sit on the .acsm without opening it in ADE for a week.  I will report back.  Thanks again.

Reader 4
Mad_MaxJM
Posts: 4
Registered: ‎01-10-2011
0 Kudos

Re: Borrowning Library ebooks

 


ldalvarado wrote:

The lending period starts once you "check out" the book from the library and has nothing to do with when you download it from the library or use ADE. However, there are some individuals who have had success with downloading a library book onto their Nook, opening it once, and still being able to read it after the lending period has expired.

 

Personally, what I do is go ahead and check it out and put it on my device. You never know about your time available, your abiliyy to read a book (or discard one that you can't get into) and you might get a chance to read it. If I don't get a chance to read it and it disappears,  then I put myself back in the hold queue.


Thank you.  Yes, this is what I suspect, just wanted to know if anybody knew for sure.  It sure can't hurt to download it and go back into the queue if need be.  It seems to take much less time than I had suspected.

 

Distinguished Scribe
RSC_Nook
Posts: 758
Registered: ‎01-04-2011
0 Kudos

Re: Borrowning Library ebooks

your library sounds pretty good.  The one I use has a 2 day period between notification it is available and the ability to download.  Then the check out period is just 14 days. 

Nallia
Posts: 4,758
Topics: 125
Kudos: 3,263
Registered: ‎02-15-2010
0 Kudos

Re: Borrowning Library ebooks

Wow, your libraries are nice!  I have 2 hours to check out an ebook I am on the waiting list for once I am notified it's available.  I do get to borrow it for 21 days.

 

The lending time begins for me the moment I check the book out, whether I download the .ascm file or not.  I didn't get around to downloading it until the next day once and ADE gave me 20 days on my loan.

Reader 4
Mad_MaxJM
Posts: 4
Registered: ‎01-10-2011
0 Kudos

Re: Borrowning Library ebooks

 


Nallia wrote:

Wow, your libraries are nice!  I have 2 hours to check out an ebook I am on the waiting list for once I am notified it's available.  I do get to borrow it for 21 days.

 

The lending time begins for me the moment I check the book out, whether I download the .ascm file or not.  I didn't get around to downloading it until the next day once and ADE gave me 20 days on my loan.


 

2 hours is very strict!  I don't know how I would deal with that if I got the email while away from home.

 

The secodn part of your post is exactly what I was looking for, when clock for the lending period starts.  Thanks.

Contributor
dsloth
Posts: 9
Registered: ‎12-24-2010
0 Kudos

Re: Borrowning Library ebooks

our library gives me three days to check it out with a 14 day lending period. If the book is opened at the end of the lending period and I don't navigate out of it, it remains on the nook. If I leave the book to check shopping or the daily it disappears. As a side note, those of us waiting for a book would appreciate it if you wouldn't just load it on you nook so it will be available for you to read if the opportunity presents it self. Our library association rarely has more than one copy to lend and I am 8th or 9th on the waiting list for many books. If everbody does this it may be 4 months or long before I get a chance to check it out. So please be courteous and not check out a book you don't intend to read right away, just move the book back to your waiting list and let the next in line check it out.

Wordsmith
ProfReader
Posts: 1,135
Registered: ‎02-18-2010
0 Kudos

Re: Borrowning Library ebooks

This is my experience, I download the ascm file to my computer and I have waited up to 5 days to open it in ADE and always get 21 days from the time it is opened in ADE.


Mad_MaxJM wrote:

Hello All,

 

     I received a nook for christmas and have enjoyed a couple of Gutenberg books as well as my first library epub book.  When I got the first epub, I added a bunch of books to my queue that had a waiting period.  Now, I'm next in line for the book and I'm not yet ready for it.  How long do I have between downloading the .acsm and opening the file with ADE?  Does my lending period begin when I download the .acsm from the library?  Or does it begin when i open the .acsm with ADE?  I'm guessing it is 21 days from downloading the .acsm, but I just wanted to make sure.  Thanks!