Reader 4
Airwisp
0 Kudos

Brand New

I did it Sunday!  So far it's been great.  I spent some time reading a boatload discussions about everything from swiping to battery life etc.  I was easily able to download and install the Alice in Wonderland screen savers without a hitch. So...many thanks to all who contribute to these boards.

It initially took awhile to stop being "conscious" of the device and get immersed in my first ebook "The girl with the dragon tattoo".  I think I'll have to go back and re-read that first chapter <grin>.

The staff in the local B&N told me that they wouldn't have covers in the store until next month.  Is this typical around the country?  I really don't want to buy one unless I can do the touchy feely thing with the cover.

I felt compelled to name it right away so it's "eBuddy" until something else comes along. Actually, "ebandit" might be real appropriate since it's burning up my cedit card already!

Distinguished Scribe
sub_rosa
0 Kudos

Re: Brand New

Shiny!

Congrats on the new Nook.  Not sure why B&N is dragging their feet on getting the stores stocked with covers.  Poor planning, I'm guessing.

Don't buy from Random House, Macmillan, or Penguin until the agency model is COMPLETELY dead.
Frequent Contributor
xtina823
0 Kudos

Enjoy the Nook. I just got mine last night. I downloaded Percy Jackson's The Lightning Thief. As to the covers for Nooks, the B&N where I got mine from, does not carry cases. So I currently don't have a case. That's cool that you have named your Nook. eBuddy sounds good to me.

Owner of a Nook, March 22, 2010
Name: Gizmo
Nallia
Topics: 125
Kudos: 3,263
0 Kudos

Congrats!  I bought my nook on February 16th (the same day I quit smoking) and I LOVE it!  I've been ignoring the books on my shelves waiting to be read in favor of buying new ebooks. I hope you enjoy it as much as I do!

I'm glad you found so much help here.  I lurked here for a while when I was debating between a nook and a kindle; it was these boards that helped me make up my mind.  I really believe I've had so few issues because I spent time here reading as much as I could.  Everyone here is great!  :smileyhappy:

gqb
Inspired Scribe
gqb
0 Kudos

I can relate to the ebandit name!  I managed to buy my first month's worth with gift cards.  Now that I'm a member of a public library with decent e-books, I will be able to read some for free.  The waiting list is now the issue....

Nallia, congratulations on quitting smoking and I hope you continue to have success.  If you get the urge, think of how clean you'll keep your nook if you don't smoke:smileyhappy:!

Distinguished Wordsmith
Josienjoe
0 Kudos

Nallia wrote:

Congrats!  I bought my nook on February 16th (the same day I quit smoking) and I LOVE it!  I've been ignoring the books on my shelves waiting to be read in favor of buying new ebooks. I hope you enjoy it as much as I do!

I'm glad you found so much help here.  I lurked here for a while when I was debating between a nook and a kindle; it was these boards that helped me make up my mind.  I really believe I've had so few issues because I spent time here reading as much as I could.  Everyone here is great!  :smileyhappy:

Congrats on quitting smoking!

I, too, lurked here before I purchased.  I wanted to know what kinds of problems people were having and what kind of fixes were available.  Now, there's the added benefit of suggestions on what to read.

Frequent Contributor
bjmbarb
0 Kudos

I too am a fairly new Nook owner...last part of Feb.  I also read these boards prior to getting my Nook and what a help they are!  Love my Nook and resent I have so many DTB's to read also. Want to just read on my Nook!  Anyway on the cover issue...as you know from reading here M-Edge has wonderful covers and a great light. Plus a coupon! The Executive cover with the light is super...the Platform fills all the same needs as the B&N Industrial cover everyone loves (as in Nook can stand up hands free) and the Trip cover is super as in very compact and comfortable for everyday use.  And don't forget to look at the Oberon covers!  The advantage of all these covers is they close,  I know if B&N had had their covers in I would have selected ones from them...now I am happy I was forced to look elsewhere.  So many of theirs have no closure and that is a must feature for me...and really necessary if your Nook is going to be traveling in your purse. Anyway you really can't go wrong with these covers!  Enjoy your new Nook!!!!

Frequent Contributor
ratdog
0 Kudos

I will be joining the ranks of Nook owners either Friday night or Saturday afternoon.

Our local store will (supposedly) have covers in mid April.

In the mean time, my sister gave me a cute little Vera Bradley "hipster" that looks like it will fit the nook, charger, and usb just right!

Contributor
Tigger31
0 Kudos

I actually got mine today. So far I am so in love with it. I have a question though, how do I fix the time on it? I named mine Nookila for now, until I either think of a better name or I give up on the name thing. I do not have a cover for mine, but I do have a skin from decalgirl.com coming. I have the nature screen saver going right now and it is charging. I already shopped with it and registered it. So far, no problems. 

Be an angel, support the military.... Ask me how!!
www.soldiersangels.org
Contributor
MiamiCyn
0 Kudos

I made my Nook purchase on Sunday also. I have been so excited and checking out all the information that I can.

I too am anxious to get a cover. There are no covers anywhere available in my area so I have pre-ordered the Jonathan Adler cover. In anticipation of my cover arriving, I made screensavers and wallpaper to go with it.

So far, I LOVE my Nook and look forward to many happy reading years. I have encouraged a friend at work to purchase a Nook also so that I have someone to lend/borrow books.

I have 13 books downloaded and so many books on my e-wish list for future purchases.

Happy reading, all!

Inspired Contributor
psucutie
0 Kudos

It seems that B&N is a little behind on DST.  I would set the time zone an hour ahead of you.

Frequent Contributor
AvalonMP
0 Kudos

Welcome to all newbies.

I'm loving my nook, but this is the busiest time of year for me, so not as much time for free reading as I'd like. :-(

However, I'd recommend you all spend some time browsing the boards. I've learned soooo much about things that I never would have figured out on my own. Also, check out the covers by M Edge and Oberone. It sounds like a lot of B & N's don't have any yet. I know I still haven't seen one in my local mothership.

To Airwisp: How do you like Dragon Tattoo? It's downloaded and ready to go, but I'm currently reading three others right now, so I'm holding off until I"m done so I can fully immerse myself in it.

~If you work hard and are kind, amazing things will happen. -C.O.
Contributor
JRenshaw
0 Kudos

AvalonMP wrote:
I'd recommend you all spend some time browsing the boards. I've learned soooo much about things that I never would have figured out on my own.

These boards are very helpful and I haven't even made my nook purchase yet! 

Was planning to get one tonight, but I have a friend lobbying very hard against it.  She gets another chance to bend my ear and state her case, but I think I'll be joining the ranks soon enough :smileywink:

Reader 4
Airwisp
0 Kudos

AvalonMP wrote:

To Airwisp: How do you like Dragon Tattoo? It's downloaded and ready to go, but I'm currently reading three others right now, so I'm holding off until I"m done so I can fully immerse myself in it.

Dragon Tattoo started slow, but that might be due to it being my first ebook and I was fiddling around and distracted.  It started to pick up last night (my second real reading session and then suddenly I got to a part that made me sit up and say "oh wow, here we go!"  It was bedtime though so I actually forced my set the eBuddy down.  I can't wait to get started tonight!

Let me know what you think when you get to reading it.

Regards

Scribe
JdiennoPSU
0 Kudos

xtina823 wrote:

Enjoy the Nook. I just got mine last night. I downloaded Percy Jackson's The Lightning Thief. As to the covers for Nooks, the B&N where I got mine from, does not carry cases. So I currently don't have a case. That's cool that you have named your Nook. eBuddy sounds good to me.

I read the percy jackson series on my nook also!

- JJ

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain.

FACT: Childhood cancers are the #1 disease killer in children - more than asthma, cystic fibrosis, diabetes, and pediatric AIDS combined.