Wordsmith
shilohMD
0 Kudos

Re: Broken Nook, Defective Customer Service

Pepper16 wrote:

@Tweedledee

Wow. The ad hominem attacks here are amazing. Anybody that has a problem with the Nook is labeled as a "defective customer".

[snip]

Just the ones who act like spolied 5-year olds

"A bookstore is one of the only pieces of evidence we have that people are still thinking" [Jerry Seinfeld]
Wordsmith
Tweedledee

[ Edited ]

Customer service is not broken at this merchant - not in the slightest.....

I had a "Peggy" moment with an offshore CS, not something that made me post horrible things about B&N CS, just annoying - called back in a day or so and the issues were resolved.

However, in deference to B&N I sent an e-mail about the "Peggy" moment and detailed the issues in a professional and adult fashion.  Now, that e-mail address is not on this site or for that matter any other site related to B&N in the retail nook world, but on a public site for the using if you use the "search" button and some detective work on line.

I received a very nice phone call today from B&N, the "Peggy" moment was discussed, again professionally and as an adult.  It was duely noted by B&N that this was not acceptable from their CS's, it would be addressed vigorously.

Due to the "Peggy" moment I was asked if I would want a $10 gift card for the experience, well why not, yes.  That was very nice of them since the "Peggy" moment was in regards to spending money with them for an extended warranty, sot that brought the cost down for that expense.

Did B&N have to call me, NO, did they have to offer the gift card, NO, do they have to reprimand the CS or the manager of the CS, NO, do they really have to care, NO.  Is it good business, YES.

Other than that one "Peggy" moment that was resolved by calling in at another time, the service offered by B&N is outstanding. 

Did I come up here after my "Peggy" moment and rant, rave and use one big paragraph with !!!!! in the title, no it was handled professionally and as an adult, in adult/professional language.  Will something get resolved as a result, who knows, but by the way that the conversation went, I suspect so.  It was utterly unacceptable to them to have a customer treated no matter how minor it was that way.

I view these rants and raves as a waste of energy, insulting to often as they are addressed at people that are trying to help, and often so counter productive that it is just down right scary. 

Now if one little short, professional, comprehensible e-mail got that result - why is is necessary to behave in the manner that so many do with one post then off to the next project of disruption and despair in someone else's "space".

@anyone who thinks differently - it is a real simple formula - screaming, ranting, threatening to never shop with a merchant again, and all other forms of economic "blackmail"/"coercion" do not work.

Also what does not work is screaming at folks that are just like you, but actually being proactive and trying to help - REALLY does not work for me.

"It has been said that man is a rational animal. All my life I have been searching for evidence which could support this."
Bertrand Russell
Nallia
Topics: 125
Kudos: 3,263
0 Kudos

@Tweedledee,

I think these negative temperatures are going to you brain (not really; I think you're awesome).

New User
Pepper16
0 Kudos

If I had wanted a pre-owned Nook I would have bought a pre-owned Nook. I bought a new Nook that never worked properly from the moment I took it out of the box. However, this wasn't part of the "extended warrenty" period, it was defective from the moment it went into operation. While every manufacturer can have duds, I expect them to fix it or replace it with a equal replacement. An equal replacement is a New Nook. I did not drip it out a window, fall down the stairs with it or sit on it. This was not user error.

@ShilohMD -- Grow up.

Wordsmith
Tweedledee
0 Kudos

It was -13 here this morning when the dogs went for their morning foray in the back yard - yes they have little blankets to keep warm. 

The human was oh so miserable picking up the paper where the paper person sees fit to lob it - waiting for it to be in a tree one of these days :smileyhappy:

Doggone if it wasn't cold out there.

@Nallia - Thank you that was kind -  you are right the "temperature" is getting to me and it is not always the temperature "outside" :smileyvery-happy:

"It has been said that man is a rational animal. All my life I have been searching for evidence which could support this."
Bertrand Russell
Contributor
05MAKO
0 Kudos

First off Exclamation marks last time i checked were not going the way of extinction. Second who cares if someone writes one continous run on paragragh. I was merely trying to convey my frustration with B&N after 2 and a half months of not getting my issue resolved.

As a matter of fact I have always spoken with CS reps in a most cordial and professional manner knowing full good and well being rude and whiney will get you nothing. I have spoken with several reps who have praised me for my understanding and symphatized with me about my problem.

The customer reps I have spoken with are in NJ and the Nook was sent to AZ. All they can do is send a request to the wharehouse to release my Nook. I completely understand their position but after all the time I have been waiting for my Nook the phone calls and e-mails all to no avail I'm pretty sure You would be quite frustrated also.

I too was told also after requesting to speak to a Supervisor that one was not available and that someone would call me back within a certain time, guess what no phone call from anyone. I also called back in a day or so for some resolution and here am still after 2 and half months with no resolution.

If You look at alot of these posts I'm sure You will see other people posted about the poor customer service from B&N, so evidently You are one of the fortunate ones. If so maybe You can hook a Nook brother up...Thx!!!!!!

Wordsmith
Tweedledee
0 Kudos

@05MAKO

There is a PM waiting for you - if I did it right, who knows.

As for the exclamation marks - there is another thread regarding their endangered status, you should check it out, it is a hoot.

Good luck in your endeavors, you now have the ammunition.

Bertrand Russell
New User
rhino3

I had the same problem with my nook it kept freezing up after a year or so.So i took mine into the store. The nook rep. replaced the battery and I never had a problem since. He did say though that if it happened again he was going to replace it with a new one. But, I would have been fine with getting a refurbished one they're just as good as new. 

Frequent Contributor
MumsySC
0 Kudos

B&N should stand behind their product, not hide behind their warranty.

Wordsmith
Tweedledee
0 Kudos

I have read your other posts - you got a replacement - most likely better than the broken nook that was replaced - cause....the replacement is not broken.

Your noon was used, the refurb is most likely newer than your broken, older, used nook.

This is a standard warranty on electronic devices - do not what ever you do break your iPod, from what I hear the refurbs on iPods are replete with the last owner's scuff marks, scratches and other tidbits.

B&N refurbs these nooks into "new" condition, the one that I have (not a replacement, a back up for "just in case") was no different than brand new when I received it.  The only way that I knew it was a refurb was because I bought it that way.  Otherwise it was in "new" condition.

Be happy - this is not the worst thing that will happen to you in your life. :smileyhappy:

Bertrand Russell
Frequent Contributor
MumsySC
0 Kudos

No, worries, Tweedledee, I am happy. Mostly just venting. I think it is not good PR to replace a product that has a known defect with a used version of the same product. That's all.

By the way, the "just because everyone else does it" argument does not hold with me.

Wordsmith
Tweedledee
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Not for not and for the record  the "just because everyone else does it" is not one of my favorite "reasons" either, but in this day and age....well.....I am cautiously picking my battles and choosing exactly which ones will get my stress level off the scale.

The fact is, that the electronic's industry standard places the onus on the consumer to choose whether to accept or not accept the warranty agreement.  By virtue of purchase, the consumer does, as the "rules" go, ignorance of the law is no excuse, and that maxim transcends to this situation, brutal and possibly unacceptable to some as it may be. 

The nook is not an expensive item for me, expense is relative and I realize this, so if mine broke and my choices were the refurb, I would take it, but I would most likely also buy a new one.  I realize that is not an option for everyone, but in the end, you have a working device, does what it was purchased for initially and with luck will not have the same problem or any others. 

At this point before I go off the deep end, I mutter to myself, will this matter or for that matter will I even remember it in 5 or 10 years (age has some advantages there, memory ain't what it used to be), if the answer is no, then it matters not.

Bertrand Russell
Correspondent
Alanakat
0 Kudos

Well I'm not quite that old yet but a woman at my work says "You're Old" to me quite frequently.  But sometimes you have to pick your battles. your right! I don't think it's defective customer service, it just isn't as good as it should be and I'm sure they will be doing cleaning frequently.

New User
Alenderman

i could understand if you had just bought your nook or had it for like a month but i mean your getting a somewhat new nook and your problem is fixed. Don't blame it on the individual you spoke with at their call center, as a call center employee a lot of times the employee on the phone wants to help, however there is a protocal that they have to follow.

Contributor
gotbook
0 Kudos

You sound like the lucky one that have not got a defective item after paying a 250 plus tx +50 warrnty+40 cover dollars reading device ( I do feel kind of sick calculate this!). I wish I have good luck like you! I have my NC for one month and and the charger smoked + burn and could not get it replace with customer service ( I just get promised to replacement send in 3bussiness days!). My NC is now sitting in the corner collect dust! I don't think i can take it back since I bought it in dec 24 this year.

AlanNJ
Topics: 64
Kudos: 1,528
0 Kudos

Is it 3 days yet?  Things do take time to ship.

►Without order there is chaos◄
Contributor
gotbook
0 Kudos

It has been 4 weeks at the first promise and two weeks the second promise, im stop checking the mail box.  I am not sure what to do next! maybe you could give me som idea?

Nallia
Topics: 125
Kudos: 3,263
0 Kudos

gotbook wrote:

It has been 4 weeks at the first promise and two weeks the second promise, im stop checking the mail box.  I am not sure what to do next! maybe you could give me som idea?

Send a PM to Andy_T.  Give him all the information about your problem, along with the information on your NOOKcolor--serial number, date of purchase, etc.

New User
Prof_Noir
0 Kudos

First, let me chime in by saying that good customer service follows the letter of the agreement and hopes the customer is satisfied. GREAT customer service reviews the situation in its entirety and goes BEYOND the standard to ensure the customer is satisfied!

Whether Apple is gorging customers for their ipod (1.5 times the price of a competitor's similar device) gives them the ability to replace a defective device with a new one really isn't the question (although I will address that two)

It seems that several people on this board are shills for B&N, probably employees. I have no argument with that, as long as they hae acknowledged that. What I have a problm with is the sarcasm and pettiness displayed here.  My wife and daughter both have received nook colors and so far no problem. But since its within the 30 day period, I think I will return them and pay the additional money for the ipad or s suitable (and cheaper) android clone.

There is no excuse for what happened to this gentleman.  Coco523 hit the nail on the head. Please be adviced tht I've posted a link to this thread on my blog and on entrepreneural's web forum to show others how NOT to do business.

BTW,

I've had to return two iphone 4s because of defects. I purchased the first one in September and on April 27th, the unit froze during a phone call, and nothing I was told to do from Apple worked. So, that Friday 4/299) I went to my local store (although I had ordered the phone on line) and was given a brand new one -just transferred out my sim.   Everything was great for all of 45 days, when I experienced a similar problem with the second unit. I called and spoke with someone representing the "Genuis Bar" and we spent several hours working on it. Unfortunately, to no avail. I was directed to take the phone back to the store.

Once again, they replaced it with a new phone.  Now, this is not exclusive to Apple. I've had clients tell me of similar situations with Sony, Logitech, etc. And each company has similar policies that said "it is at the discretion of the store/management/etc to replace unit with a refurbished model."

New User
TikiDoll
0 Kudos

I am also having a similar experience:  I seem to have developed "the crack problem" (a break in the case at the page turner button) much later than everyone else.  I purchased my Nook in February 2010, and the crack first appeared in October 2011.  Though I did buy the "extended warranty,"  Barnes and Noble will not honor it.  They have noted on my claim that the damage is due to user error.  And sent a poorly packaged and broken replacement.  Now I have the added frustration to send that one back and start a claim with my credit card company to refuse the charges on the "replacement."  I DO NOT recommend spending any money on the "warranty".  Just expect the Nook to break shortly after the year on the manufacturer warranty (planned obsolescence period) and then toss it as another disposable device cluttering our planet with hazardous waste.