Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

New User
DiamondMA
0 Kudos

Broken Nook, Defective Customer Service

My experience with the Nook has been like a bad first date that won't seem to end. At first I was excited to get the Nook when it came out last Christmas. Unfortunately, the anticipation didn't live up to the hype because the device was defective and I had to send it back. A replacement Nook  was shipped and then I had to re-register, re-download books, pictures and music. Not a fun job. Now my replacement Nook freezes up and I have to spend an afternoon researching solutions on the internet. None of the solutions, including battery removal, seemed to help so I had to call  Customer Service. I explained my problem and was told to try pressing this and pressing that but when it still didn't work I was told that I would have to get a replacement..AGAIN. I told the rep that I, in no way, wanted a refurbished Nook. I was assured that it would new so I agreed to the replacement. The PRE-OWNED Nook arrived in the mail today. I immediately called Customer Service and explained my dilemma and they had the nerve to tell me that the pre-owned is exactly the same thing as new. I disagreed and said that if I was interested in buying refurbished I would have done so but at a much reduced rate. The rep said that it had the same value as new. Once again, I disagreed and was then unceremoniously handed over to Petrina, the Manger for Digital Support. She told me that B&N was only sending out refurbished Nooks so I could not get a new replacement. I said that since this is my third attempt at enjoying a product that I paid full price for a year ago, getting someone's "fixed" problem Nook was not an acceptable solution. I asked what other options I had as a customer and was told that I had none. She said I only had 14 days to get my money back from the original defective Nook so there was no way that B&N would give me money back and there was no way that I was going to get a new Nook. So there you have it. Not only do I not get my money back on an original defective product that had to be replaced, then replaced again with now another person's refurbished defective product but I don't get back all my time that has been wasted either. I realize that B&N is a large company but what they don't seem to understand is that it's a whole  based upon all the individual customers. Further, their B&N mission statement, in which they speak about the importance of customer service, is disappointingly false and stands in direct contrast to the truth. Customers are only important when they are paying. End of story.

Bibliophile
bklvr896

Re: Broken Nook, Defective Customer Service

DiamondMA wrote:

My experience with the Nook has been like a bad first date that won't seem to end. At first I was excited to get the Nook when it came out last Christmas. Unfortunately, the anticipation didn't live up to the hype because the device was defective and I had to send it back. A replacement Nook  was shipped and then I had to re-register, re-download books, pictures and music. Not a fun job. Now my replacement Nook freezes up and I have to spend an afternoon researching solutions on the internet. None of the solutions, including battery removal, seemed to help so I had to call  Customer Service. I explained my problem and was told to try pressing this and pressing that but when it still didn't work I was told that I would have to get a replacement..AGAIN. I told the rep that I, in no way, wanted a refurbished Nook. I was assured that it would new so I agreed to the replacement. The PRE-OWNED Nook arrived in the mail today. I immediately called Customer Service and explained my dilemma and they had the nerve to tell me that the pre-owned is exactly the same thing as new. I disagreed and said that if I was interested in buying refurbished I would have done so but at a much reduced rate. The rep said that it had the same value as new. Once again, I disagreed and was then unceremoniously handed over to Petrina, the Manger for Digital Support. She told me that B&N was only sending out refurbished Nooks so I could not get a new replacement. I said that since this is my third attempt at enjoying a product that I paid full price for a year ago, getting someone's "fixed" problem Nook was not an acceptable solution. I asked what other options I had as a customer and was told that I had none. She said I only had 14 days to get my money back from the original defective Nook so there was no way that B&N would give me money back and there was no way that I was going to get a new Nook. So there you have it. Not only do I not get my money back on an original defective product that had to be replaced, then replaced again with now another person's refurbished defective product but I don't get back all my time that has been wasted either. I realize that B&N is a large company but what they don't seem to understand is that it's a whole  based upon all the individual customers. Further, their B&N mission statement, in which they speak about the importance of customer service, is disappointingly false and stands in direct contrast to the truth. Customers are only important when they are paying. End of story.

You don't know that it is a Nook returned for a warranty issue, for all you know, it could be a Nook someone got for Christmas, decided they didn't want it or wanted a NookColor and returned it.  Even under these circumstances B&N cannot resell it as new.

And the warranty is pretty specific that B&N can replace the product with a refurbished one, the same as almost every other electronic device warranty.

Wordsmith
gandalf1369
0 Kudos

DiamondMA wrote:

Further, their B&N mission statement, in which they speak about the importance of customer service, is disappointingly false and stands in direct contrast to the truth. Customers are only important when they are paying. End of story.

Further, you didn't read the written warranty that came with the nook which talks about the return period and the warranty return procedure.  End of story.

**** He Who Dies With The Most Toys Wins ****
Distinguished Bibliophile
ABthree

@DiamondMA

Paragraphs are your friends:  the more unreasonable the rant, the more necessary they are.

If you let yourself enjoy your "refurbished" Nook ... chances are that you will. 

End of story.  :smileyhappy:

+LORD, preserve the good in their goodness, and+
+in your kindness, make the wicked become good.+
-- St. Basil the Great+
Distinguished Wordsmith
Josienjoe
0 Kudos

ABthree wrote:

@DiamondMA

Paragraphs are your friends:  the more unreasonable the rant, the more necessary they are.

If you let yourself enjoy your "refurbished" Nook ... chances are that you will. 

You read that?  I need more coffee before I attempt it.

:smileywink:

Distinguished Correspondent
Gtriever
0 Kudos

DiamondMA wrote: (most of rant snipped)

I said that since this is my third attempt at enjoying a product that I paid full price for a year ago, getting someone's "fixed" problem Nook was not an acceptable solution.

Give me a freakin' break. You have the audacity to expect a brand new Nook as a replacement for a year-old product? Your sense of entitlement is amazing...

New User
DiamondMA
0 Kudos

And where is your feigned outrage at the audacity of a company that would sell a product so defective that it needs to be replace twice within that same year?

AlanNJ
Topics: 64
Kudos: 1,518

The fact that the company replaced the product within the warranty period (with what was promised) without any questions or problems tells me everything I need to know about their audacity.

►Without order there is chaos◄
Wordsmith
gandalf1369

DiamondMA wrote:

And where is your feigned outrage at the audacity of a company that would sell a product so defective that it needs to be replace twice within that same year?

End of story . . . .

**** He Who Dies With The Most Toys Wins ****
Distinguished Scribe
RSC_Nook
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Since you had this for a full year, it really did not equal the value of a NEW device as you claim.  a device you have had for a year is not equal in value. 

if they replace it with a refurb then they have basically completed a like for like exchange in my opinion

ABthree
0 Kudos

Josienjoe wrote:

ABthree wrote:

@DiamondMA

You read that?  I need more coffee before I attempt it.

It was late at night and I wasn't sleepy yet.  It did the trick -- a good laugh will do that for me sometimes.  :smileyvery-happy:

-- St. Basil the Great+
Distinguished Wordsmith
Josienjoe
0 Kudos

@ ABthree,

Ah, that explains it!

Correspondent
Anthony1970
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

When I first read the opening post I had thought the second problem was immediately after the first defective NOOK. But of course you later admit you have had your second replacement for over a year. You had an entire year to enjoy your NOOK. You act as though over the course of a year you have been inconvenienced because you had a defective one the first day you had it.  You sent it out got a new one right away. Enjoyed it for just over a year it froze and you don't want a refurbished. Its not like you didn't get any use out of it.

The fact of the matter is you sent them a one year old used NOOK that froze, they gave you a refurbished NOOK that probably is not nearly as used as the one you gave them PLUS it will NOT have the cracked button issue like the one you sent back would have gotten eventually.

Sorry but you need to read your warranty. They fulfilled their side of the bargain and it wont help for you to complain here. If you don't want it though you can sell it on eBay for at least $100 and go get yourself a Kindle or a Kobo. Both are nice readers as well and BOTH have the same warranty the NOOK has. So if you have issues a year down the line you will get refurbished.

I think customer service was stellar in this case.

New User
Sarah0728
0 Kudos

Amen!

Bibliophile
Jenniisme
0 Kudos

OP your complaining after a year? Give me a break!

Read your warranty, better yet...get a kindle!

just an FYI: My Nookclassic was replaced 4x in a 5 month span all for the same cracked bezel and I STILL managed to survive and buy a nookcolor AND a truckload of books.

*sigh*

The self righteous indignation always cracks me up.

AlanNJ
Topics: 64
Kudos: 1,518
0 Kudos

Please don't confuse "self righteous indignation" with an "overabundant sense of entitlement".

►Without order there is chaos◄
New User
coco523
0 Kudos

Pardon the customer for not getting Ipod service ...I have several Ipods (due to teens) and when there is a record of a defect on one of them you are given a brand new device and if that device is no longer in production you are given the next generation in the same price bracket.  It's called great customer service and if I was B&N I would try to do the same as there are other higher rated eReaders out there...not a very good response "you didn't read ..."  Same thing banks are in trouble for now ...when you are spending money on a product and pay for a warranty it implies some level of confidence that you will be taken care of not taken advantage of; they need to think a $300 mistake is not worth the customers they will loose due to bad word of mouth.

ABthree

coco523 wrote:

Pardon the customer for not getting Ipod service ...I have several Ipods (due to teens) and when there is a record of a defect on one of them you are given a brand new device and if that device is no longer in production you are given the next generation in the same price bracket.  It's called great customer service and if I was B&N I would try to do the same

Apple can "do the same" because their policy of gouging their customers at every tollgate in their big walled garden gives them margins excessive enough to be able to toss a few crumbs to the peasants now and then.  It wouldn't be so bad if their fleecing were restricted to their fanboys, who at least chose to be exploited.  But we've ALL been paying inflated eBook prices since last April because Apple can't tolerate being undersold in its iBook store, and colluded with the Agency publishers to make it so.  Apple's no model for anyone, except maybe megalomaniac monopolists-in-training.  I for one am glad that B&N didn't choose to imitate them.

B&N chose the opposite route:  open architecture, library loans, lots of freebies, which means more modest margins.  Their warranty policy is fair and communicated clearly, and normally, it's pretty efficiently administered.  At the moment they're having some administrative issues, probably related to volume, but I trust those will pass.

What B&N is not responsible for is unreasonable expectations or an immature sense of entitlement on the part of a small subset of customers who seem to think that one initial purchase buys them the right to define the warranty for themselves.

-- St. Basil the Great+
New User
coco523
0 Kudos

ENTITLEMENT!!!!! Are you freaking kidding me?! YOU OBVIOUSLY WORK FOR B&N. It is not beyond anyone's expectation to purchase an expensive item and expect it to still be working in a year, especially with a warranty. I guess having low expectations is what you should have when buying a NookColor...and with the responses I am seeing from the so called other "purchasers" (plants), I will be recommending the Kindle. You can have great expectations of their customer service. Thanks for your non-support!
ABthree

[ Edited ]

coco523 wrote:
ENTITLEMENT!!!!! Are you freaking kidding me?! YOU OBVIOUSLY WORK FOR B&N. It is not beyond anyone's expectation to purchase an expensive item and expect it to still be working in a year, especially with a warranty. I guess having low expectations is what you should have when buying a NookColor...and with the responses I am seeing from the so called other "purchasers" (plants), I will be recommending the Kindle. You can have great expectations of their customer service. Thanks for your non-support!

ROFLMAO  Well, at least we've moved off the loopy idea that B&N should act like the Rotten Fruit of Cupertino, and onto good old fashioned ad hominem attacks.  Oddly enough, I find them much less offensive. 

Ah, if only I worked for B&N!  Like a lot of people during this jobless recovery, I'm unemployed, and have been for some time.  My Nook has been a great diversion -- at times a great comfort -- and I've had a lot of fun and good exchanges with the other "plants".  A shout out and thanks to all you Plants out there!!!!!

People sometimes come across in an Internet forum as far less pleasant and reasonable than they are in real life:  I'll play the odds and guess that's true in your case -- I can be a little naïve that way.  Enjoy your Kindle.  Don't let the door hit you on the way out.  :smileyvery-happy:

-- St. Basil the Great+