Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Frequent Contributor
abasket
0 Kudos

Bumping Up From Free Ebooks....

As a new Nook owner and one who plans on using it mainly for free, low cost or library books, I have so far only explored the free books on B and N (0.00 in a search).

Just wondering your opinion....if I bump up a bit - to paying a bit (lets say a couple of dollars) will I get much  more selection????  I really don't see myself paying big bucks at this time unless I have a certain selection I must have for traveling or something....

Does the market get broader and better around $5?  Can I find any steals for under $2????  Just curious....

Distinguished Correspondent
gobasso
0 Kudos

Re: Bumping Up From Free Ebooks....

Personally, I would explore all your free book options before you bump up. If you check the Nookbooks discussion you will see many reviews of free books. Many of them on sites other than B&N. Get a feel for all the free stuff out there before you spend your money.

Inspired Wordsmith
gstone

Rather than set a price range for individual ebooks, set a monthly budget.

Last month I paid $16 for 3 ebooks. One month I paid $15 for a new release. Other months I haven't had to spend anything to keep myself occupied.

Bibliophile
Jenniisme
0 Kudos

Why not search and figure it out?

How does everyone else know what you may like to read? There are many sources of inexpensive ebooks on this site. You should search the nookbook discussion fourm.

Wordsmith
Serendip
0 Kudos

It really does depend on what you like to read. I've found some great "sale" books at $0.99, the sale is often for a limited time.

And don't forget other sites!

Frequent Contributor
abasket

I'm not asking anyone to create a book list for me - just asking for opinions from "experts"!  Of COURSE, I can do a search, but it seems only natural, when a RESOURCE such as this board is here, to ask for opinions - as a point of discussion.

Truly, try to have some patience with those of us new and those of us who don't have unlimited search time AND who just like the value of discussion and opinions!

Distinguished Wordsmith
Josienjoe
0 Kudos

abasket wrote:

I'm not asking anyone to create a book list for me - just asking for opinions from "experts"!  Of COURSE, I can do a search, but it seems only natural, when a RESOURCE such as this board is here, to ask for opinions - as a point of discussion.

Truly, try to have some patience with those of us new and those of us who don't have unlimited search time AND who just like the value of discussion and opinions!

Before I purchased my nook, I always bought new releases.  I'd go to the local B&N and buy 8 - 10 books each trip back to the States.  Made for some heavy luggage and overflowing bookshelves.

Post nook, I have cancelled my B&N membership and very, very rarely purchase any new releases.  Instead, I browse these boards and follow B&N on Facebook.  Most of my purchases have been $0.00 and I find I have plenty to read.  Someday those "new releases" will be replaced by other new releases and the price will probably go down.  I will then decide if I am willing to pay whatever that price is.

So, in my opinion, rather than "bumping" up from free, possibly a search of an author whose works you enjoy (or have heard of) would be a better way of finding new reading material.  

Happy reading.  :smileyhappy:

Inspired Wordsmith
BrandieC
0 Kudos

@abasket:

While there are lots of great free ebooks (be sure to check frequently on the NOOKbook discussion board for Doug_Pardee's thread on free ebooks), you may also want to check out Kirsty Haining's Best Nookbook Bargains:  http://my.barnesandnoble.com/Best-Nookbook-Bargains-KirstyHaining/el/16550169/.  She regularly updates several lists of bargain-priced ebooks, and I've found several good reads there without having to wade through all of the PubIt! titles on the B&N site.

Nallia
Topics: 125
Kudos: 3,236
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

abasket wrote:

I don't see anyone here trying to be impatient with you.  I only see people trying to guide you toward finding what you mihght be looking for.

There is a huge thread on the NOOKbooks forum that lists limited time free ebooks.  You might find it of use to you.  There are also numerous other threads posted there about ebook deals and sales.  You would probably have better luck discussing this in the NOOKbooks forum and not the NOOK forum.

But, yes, in general, if you add ebooks that cost any amount of money to your search you will get more results.

Distinguished Correspondent
likemynook
0 Kudos

I bought the NookColor because I could get library books and have had more than enough to read, even though my library has a relatively small selection (about 1000).  At the same time, I have been searching for free and .99 books and have enough to read for a LONG TIME!  I bought a couple of anthologies for $2.99 also.  Search under Shop: Steals and Deals for the .99 books  There is a great selection out there.

Wordsmith
swan480
0 Kudos

Between free ebooks on B&N and library ebooks, you can get plenty to keep you busy for a very, very long time.  Don't forget to see what your library offers!  That's the best way to get some of the newer and more popular titles.

There is a thread on the Nookbook Discussions forum that announces free promotional ebooks.  Some of them are only free for a few days or a week, sometimes even less, so I check that thread every day.  The result is that I have more than 300 ebooks in my B&N Library, the vast majority of them free.

If I were you, I'd only spend any money if you really want to read something that can't be had for free, or if you run out of stuff to read.  But I rather doubt the latter will happen.  :smileywink:

Inspired Bibliophile
Desert_Brat
0 Kudos

I'm not so sure price determines selection. For me price determines affordability and that's it.

I have paid good money for books that turned out to be real stinkers. And I have found some great books for 99 cents, and some really fun books for free. You can search the forums and find plenty of free book sites, and definitely get over to the NOOKbook Discussion Forum. No sooner do I get one book finished and Doug has three more added to his list that I have to read.

Search for books you would like to read, favorite authors or genres. Determine what your affordable price is or see if there is something similar that costs less or is free.

Happy reading

A lifelong reader, now may my life be long enough to catch up on my reading!
Scribe
Haleakala_LKB
0 Kudos

As someone else has said, between the library and watching the lists Doug and others post on the Discussion board, I am set for a LONG time. I have had my NOOK since end of November and have nearly 200 books. (I have also read a number of library books in the last few months, not counting those)

I have not paid more than $9.99 for any single book, and have paid that only once or twice I think. I do have some full price books I sideloaded from my husband and daughter (so free to me). The rest are freebies, many 99 cents and then $2.99 and $5 deals. I have spent less than $100 on eBooks. 

Fortunately for me, I have a fairly wide range of reading interests. That's why I pick up so many of the freebies and 99 cent specials. I have no doubt there will be some of those I end up not enjoying, but I'm not out much on them!

The area I am spending money is looking at my (real) book shelves and starting to buy the digital versions of some of my very worn and often read favorites, so that I have those old fall backs on my NOOK. 

LisaB

Distinguished Bibliophile
ABthree
0 Kudos

@abasket

Be sure to check the free books with other sellers -- there are links on the first page of Inkmesh.com.  Everything except Kindle books should work on your Nook.  Sony in particular often has books that B&N, for some reason, doesn't.

For classics and older books, ManyBooks has good quality free offerings.

+LORD, preserve the good in their goodness, and+
+in your kindness, make the wicked become good.+
-- St. Basil the Great+
Contributor
P-diddy

I like the idea of a Free Book.  But I'm tired of zombies, vampires and wereworlves and silly Harlequin romances. 

Let's find something good.

Pat

Frequent Contributor
abasket
0 Kudos

Thanks all for the additional links to other site books etc.  This info is appreciated!

Nallia
0 Kudos

P-diddy wrote:

I like the idea of a Free Book.  But I'm tired of zombies, vampires and wereworlves and silly Harlequin romances. 

Let's find something good.

Pat

You say that now, but perhaps you didn't read the story linked to in my signature.  :smileywink:

Nallia
0 Kudos

abasket wrote:

Thanks all for the additional links to other site books etc.  This info is appreciated!

I hope it's helped some.

Correspondent
toesinthesand79

If you are willing to pay a little bit, you will find some great self pub authors.  A lot of them post snippets from there books on these boards.  There is a thread in the Community forum just for self pub authors to post their books.  Recently, I purchased several based on these threads and have ended up reading them over my "Best Sellers"  because they are really capturing my interest. 

Personally, for me, I buy a $25.00 gift certificate once a month and that is all I allow myself to spend per month.  Lately, because of reading self pub authors, I have have a great balance left on my gift cards! 

Good luck and happy reading!

Inspired Bibliophile
compulsivereaderTX

As far as pricing/quality goes, that's an individual preference thing.

It's like the choice I always gave my teenagerss when shopping for school clothes. I had this much to spend per child and it usually wasn't a whole lot as a single parent of three teens. Their choice...they could buy what they wanted but when the budget was gone, it was gone and they had to live with their choices. One daughter went straight to the popular teen store and blew hers on a single pair of designer jeans and a couple pricey Tees at full price. The son, ever practical, just looked for what he needed in the price range that he felt he could afford, even asked me to stop at goodwill so he could look around. The other daughter hit the sales rack at the more upscale stores at the mall and scored quite a few complete outfits at 75 to 90% off.

The one daughter lamented all year that she only had one great pair of jeans to wear (though she had several older pair from walmart that she didn't count), the son was happy with his "I just crawled out of bed and put on the ugliest thing I could find on the floor" look and the other daughter was gorgeous and trendy in her sales rack gems and delighted that all her friends were envious and whining to their moms that Kim's mom always bought HER cute pricey things she wanted.

It's all how you look at it, what you want and are willing to spend and what you get out of it in the end. Completely individual.

ANd then there is always public library.