Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Correspondent
iambrad
0 Kudos

Buying online? Beware of free shipping.

It is free, but it is ridiculously slow. B&N uses DHL for the shipping. I have never seen anything like this. Going by my tracking page this is what hapened.

• Monday at 9:00 PM USPS picked the item up in NJ
  • Tuesday at 11:11 AM it arrives in Hebron, KY where it was logged as received. That's a roughly 630 mile journey done in 14 hours. That part is fairly impressive.
  • Shortly thereafter it was processed.
  • Wednesday at 8:11 PM it finally is marked as departed. While it took the post office all of 14 hours to pick the item up and deliver it over 600 miles away DHL took 33 hours just to get it through a warehouse. I should note here that shortly after this happened was when the tracking page first updated. Up until this point no info at all was there.
  • Saturday at 4:05 AM it finaly arrives in Forest Park, GA. That's a trip of about 480 miles that took 56 hours to make.
  • Now it's back in the hands of the post office and I am sure it will arrive on monday since DHL was unable to process it in time to get it out today. Oh, and after handing to USPS today was the second time the tracking page updated.

Why are they even using DHL? It seems like it would be much easier to cut them out entirely since the post office is doing pick up and delivery anyway. Between DHL and the post office the item is being shipped over 1200 miles. 740 of which were in the hands of the post office; it is only 743 miles from my house to the original pick up point, so the entire distance covered by DHL was unnecessary all along and just added cost and delay.

Anyway, to make a long story only slightly more long, know what you are getting into with this free shipping. If you like things delivered in a reasonable time frame you may want to pay for shipping. I don't usually mind waiting, but when it takes a company nearly 90 hours to move an item 400 miles, something is wrong. They could have gotten it here faster by wrapping it in a coconut and tethering it between two swallows...either african or european would have worked.

Oh well, I should have my nook monday, and the delay did give me time to read the manual, collect a few books, and chew off nearly all of my fingernails with anticipation.

Scribe
lkmiller
0 Kudos

Re: Buying online? Beware of free shipping.

Oh my, oh my!  Thank goodness that B&N uses UPS for their free shipping to me in Michigan!  I usually get items in 2 days coming from them in New Jersey.

Out of the express shippers I've dealt with, I've found DHL to be the absolute worst.  In order of best to worst, I rank UPS first, Fedex second, USPS third, and last and most definitely least DHL.  I would never ship something with them myself because every single time a company has used them to send something to me there's been some sort of problem.

Contributor
CuriousJo
0 Kudos

I bought mine in store-- instant gratification. :smileyvery-happy:

I love shopping online for the selection, but unless the price is quite a bit better I usually buy in physical stores just because I'm an impatient sort of person (and that goes double when it's a new toy like nook).

Wordsmith
wordsandmelodies
0 Kudos

I'm really sorry.  Mine showed up surprisingly quickly, even though I'm in the middle of nowhere.  I understand the frustration of waiting for things to arrive.  You should see it Monday for sure!  And I hope you enjoy.

flyingtoastr
Topics: 55
Kudos: 2,976
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

It depends where you are. Same areas use DHL. Some use UPS. Some (like here in Tampa) are a lottery and you never know who's gonna deliver it!

Inspired Wordsmith
mykoffee
0 Kudos

B&N uses UPS for me, I ordered on a Friday and had it by Monday!

Linda

Distinguished Bibliophile
ABthree
0 Kudos

The free shipping champs, like the website champs, are Amazon.  Their logistics are so fast that I think they must hold the "free shipping" packages for a day or two at the distribution center, just to make sure that the paid shipping beats them.  And if different items are available at different times, each ships when available, and ships free.

I like B&N, mainly because I love my Nook, but it's beyond me why they apparently feel the need to keep reinventing the wheel, when the competition figured it all out long ago and is out there to copy and improve on.

+LORD, preserve the good in their goodness, and+
+in your kindness, make the wicked become good.+
-- St. Basil the Great+
Contributor
CuriousJo
0 Kudos

ABthree wrote:

The free shipping champs, like the website champs, are Amazon.  Their logistics are so fast that I think they must hold the "free shipping" packages for a day or two at the distribution center, just to make sure that the paid shipping beats them.  And if different items are available at different times, each ships when available, and ships free.

I mean no disrespect to Amazon because I actually do quite a bit of birthday/christmas shopping there (just not ebooks!) but...I always order way in advance. It usually takes 7-10 days or so usually for the Super Saver shipping to reach me (not during the holiday season). Perfectly reasonable for free shipping, but by no means fast.

I think the moral of this story is shipping depends a lot on where you live and what warehouse it's coming from, no matter what company you're using.

flyingtoastr
Topics: 55
Kudos: 2,976
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

BN tried to improve their distribution network a few years ago by buying out part of the Ingram distribution network, but a bunch of the independent book stores raised a big stink about it so it got canned (after both companies had agreed to it, heh). Since then we've been stuck with the two warehouses in New Jersey and Nevada. BN just doesn't have the kind of capital to spend on twenty warehouses like Amazon right now.

Cest la vie.

New User
KITKT
0 Kudos

I've been waiting 2 weeks for a cove that reached kentucky(dsl) 5 days ago, still don't know where my cover is. DSL ...not so good.

Inspired Wordsmith
mykoffee
0 Kudos

I mean no disrespect to Amazon because I actually do quite a bit of birthday/christmas shopping there (just not ebooks!) but...I always order way in advance. It usually takes 7-10 days or so usually for the Super Saver shipping to reach me (not during the holiday season). Perfectly reasonable for free shipping, but by no means fast.

A good 7-10 days for Amazon stuff to reach me as well,  it's hard when I'm really anxious for something!  :smileyhappy:   I refuse to pay for something I can get for free though so I wait.

Since I've still got my B&N membership it's good when I order from them,  I get my stuff in just a couple days and no $25 minimum order.  However, often their prices are higher so I only purchase from them if they match Amazon's.  RIght now a book my son wants (Abundance of Valor) is $25.65 at B&N and $21.90 at Amazon.

Linda

Distinguished Bibliophile
ABthree
0 Kudos

CuriousJo wrote:

I think if you peel back the covers, you'll see that that's 7-10 days from date of order, not from ship date.  See my remark on Amazon sitting on the free packages for a few days at the distribution center.
I've never seen anything from Amazon once a package is actually in transit to match the DHL circle joke described by OP.

+LORD, preserve the good in their goodness, and+
+in your kindness, make the wicked become good.+
-- St. Basil the Great+
Correspondent
bluedaze
0 Kudos

I order from both Amazon and B&N, but I always remind myself that I'm going to have to be patient if it's from Amazon.  That 7 to 10 days is usually what it takes for an Amazon order to reach me, and the shipment tracking info they provide on the site is usually inaccurate.  My B&N orders usually reach me in 2 to 3 days.  I have a Membership so I get free Express Shipping, but I honestly can't tell the difference because they arrive so fast anyway.  Both companies ship my orders UPS.   

Reader 4
jmwolffyy
0 Kudos

I paid the extra $5 for expedited shipping because I figured that would help with the whole delayed gratification thing, but I bought mine online because I use a rewards website that gives me points for buying things. So it was a balance of getting it quickly but also getting my points for it (which I will be using for a BN giftcard to buy ebooks!). However, even the expedited shipping was odd. I had an email from BN late the night that I placed my order saying it had shipped, but the tracking link said they had only been notified. Then that tracking link updated on Sunday (Sunday, for USPS???) to say they had picked it up. It didn't update again until it was in my town and "out for delivery" so I went for the whole three days waiting and flustered! I can't imagine what I would have done if I had used the free shipping and had to wait even longer!

Favorite Series of All Time: A Song of Ice and Fire by George R R Martin
Distinguished Correspondent
SlaughterS
0 Kudos

My wife ordered mine around Christmas.  It did not come till January/February.

It took *months* to arrive.

You should feel lucky :smileyhappy:

This is the Internet. I'm not going to let my complete lack of actual knowledge stop me from giving my opinion....
Bibliophile
bklvr896
0 Kudos

I ordered a book on Monday morning with Free, expedited shipping.  Got the email notification that it shipped Monday evening.  The book was here on Tuesday when I got home from work.

Frequent Contributor
Irishelf
0 Kudos

I have to agree with the original poster-B&N's free standard shipping is extremely slow, almost as bad as Best Buys.  I ordered books on Monday the 4th.  I got an email on the 5th saying the books were on the way-WRONG!  I kept checking the tracking and it finally updated on the 7th, stating the package was just mailed on that date!  It also said it would not arrive until the 12th.  Why on earth should it take a week for 2 books to get from Georgia (where the weather is fine) to Florida?!   What are they using-Pony Express?!  I got a package mailed from WI (where the weather is bad) on Monday that arrived in FL today.  Longer distance, bad weather and the package still arrives faster than when ordering from B&N.  And they wonder why they're not doing very well.