Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Contributor
TankRan
0 Kudos

Calibre file manager

First things first, I have a nook and I think it's great. It does everything it suppose to do, some better than others but thats the way it is with anything you buy. 

Since mankind are curious by nature, we are always trying to see what else can something do. So with that in mind I will ask if anybody had or currently use the application Calibre.  If so what was your experience.

Please remember that at no time am I being critical about the nook, I'm just being inquisitive. Thanks

Remember any day you get to open your eyes, you have a good day ahead of you..
Distinguished Bibliophile
ABthree
0 Kudos

Re: Calibre file manager

TankRan wrote:

Since mankind are curious by nature, we are always trying to see what else can something do. So with that in mind I will ask if anybody had or currently use the application Calibre.  If so what was your experience.

@TankRan

You'll get a lot of response on this, mostly positive I expect, so I'll kick it off.

I don't use Calibre as extensively as some people here -- I don't use it to manage all my eBooks -- but I use it some and like it.

I use it for two things, basically.  I process my books from free sites through it -- Gutenberg, miscellaneous websites -- to obtain and/or correct the metadata.  If a file doesn't have DRM on it, Calibre is very good at this.

The second use is file conversion.  Last week, for example, I found eleven books by the "Golden Age of Mystery" writer Josephine Tey that I've been looking all over for.  They were free and in the public domain.  Problem:  they were in Sony's LRF format, which Nook doesn't read.  Calibre converted them perfectly in minutes.  Another example. This week, an author friend sent me a manuscript in Word to read.  I converted it to RTF, then used Calibre to convert to EPUB.  Again, easy, with good results.

So for my limited uses, I give Calibre a definite thumbs-up -- good enough that I contributed.  Others, I'm sure, can fill in the picture even more.

+LORD, preserve the good in their goodness, and+
+in your kindness, make the wicked become good.+
-- St. Basil the Great+
Contributor
TankRan
0 Kudos

ABthree,

Thank you for your positive response, both to the posted question and product,  I truly appreaciate it.  Now not to ask a really foolish question and you don't have to answer if don't want to but you mentioned finding books on the "public domain", how did you locate them

Doug_Pardee
Kudos: 4,015
0 Kudos

TankRan wrote:

you mentioned finding books on the "public domain", how did you locate them

Public domain books are those published before 1923 (in the US). Check the link in my signature for sources of e-books. The free public-domain stuff is at the bottom of that list.

Short answer: look at Feedbooks first. When all else fails, check Google Books but expect poor quality from there.

Inspired Wordsmith
LM44
0 Kudos

Yes, Calibre is great. I have also donated for their continued development of the software also.

Besides converting books, I also use it to sideload newsfeeds to my nook. When you

subscribe to a newsfeed calibre automatically

transfers the newsfeed to the nook.

ABthree
0 Kudos

TankRan wrote:

you mentioned finding books on the "public domain", how did you locate them

@TankRan

There are several good sources.  Most "old" books are in the public domain -- no longer under copyright protection, and unburdened by DRM.  My Tey books, for example, were published in the '50s.

My favorite is www.manybooks.net -- old books generally are scans of print books that are then run through OCR software, and ManyBooks seems to have a little better quality control than most.

The granddaddy of them all is Project Gutenberg -- http://www.gutenberg.org/wiki/Main_Page -- spotty quality, but tons of books, in all different formats.

Inkmesh -- http://www.inkmesh.com/ -- is a great place to find out in general where a given eBook is on offer, and it has a special search for free books.

Finally, many of the older free books on the B&N and Kobo sites are public domain books scanned -- with varying quality -- by Google.

I'm sure there are many more places to look, but that should be a good start.  :smileyhappy:

-- St. Basil the Great+
Doug_Pardee
Kudos: 4,015
0 Kudos

I'm not as big a fan of Calibre as others are, but I do use it.

My big complaint with Calibre (as a library manager) is poor organizational features. It's only slightly better than the NOOK in that regard. Since the 0.7 release came out a couple of weeks ago, it's slightly improved.

Calibre uses tags as its organizational technique. Starting with that 0.7 release, it allows you to create "user categories" which allow you to group your tags, and there is a navigation bar on the left side of the screen which includes various fixed categories—author, series, format, publisher, rating, etc.—and your user categories. This is your main organizational tool.

Unfortunately, you have to assign and remove tags by hand. You can't just drag'n'drop. So there's a lot of typing of tag names, and the opportunity to get them wrong. Judicious use of "Edit metadata in bulk" to update tags on multiple files at once, and the automatic drop-down list of existing tags as you type, can help.

One standing complaint that I have is that Calibre doesn't like to "update" an existing e-book in its library if a corrected version comes out. It creates a duplicate entry. Many people won't run into this much if at all, others (like me) run into it a lot.

If you use Calibre for sideloading your e-books onto your NOOK, you get the added feature that it creates a thumbnail JPEG file for the e-book cover which your NOOK will recognize and show on the color LCD. However, do not use Calibre's "eject" feature to eject your NOOK; use your computer's "eject" instead.

As is the case with almost all "free software", Calibre's user interface is designed by an amateur and the documentation is less than wonderful—the Calibre User Manual is thousands of pages long. There's a lot of exploring and experimenting that's necessary. The default Preferences are sometimes odd, and there must be a thousand different settings in there, especially in the Plugins section.

Calibre also does some conversions, the quality of which tends to be poor with the default settings. There are a ton of input and output options and to get a good conversion you often need to do a lot of experimenting with the various settings (which only show up when you actually begin a conversion). If you don't know your way around XPath and Python Regular Expressions, you're going to struggle here. The inability to do a multi-line RegEx is a big source of frustration for my conversions.

Calibre is slowly improving, and I do use it as my library manager now, but it's far from Nirvana.

Contributor
TankRan
0 Kudos

Thank you to all that have responsed, it's people like you folks that makes both product and people just a little smarter than the were. 

Reader 2
calpalmer
0 Kudos

I tried to install Calibre on my Vista 64-bit OS machine twice; it did not install.

Does anyone have experience with Alfa eBook Manager, or another software that is decent?

ABthree
0 Kudos

calpalmer wrote:

I tried to install Calibre on my Vista 64-bit OS machine twice; it did not install.

I have it on my Windows 7 64-bit machine without any problems.  What kind of errors are you running into?

-- St. Basil the Great+
Wordsmith
ProfReader
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

TankRan wrote:

First things first, I have a nook and I think it's great. It does everything it suppose to do, some better than others but thats the way it is with anything you buy. 

Please remember that at no time am I being critical about the nook, I'm just being inquisitive. Thanks

go to www.mobileread.com and check out the calbre forum. The author of calbre is a frequent poster and he or another user can probably help with all of your needs

Contributor
TankRan
0 Kudos

ProfReader, thanks for the suggestion, I will check it out to day.  Somebody had listed another "file manager" (Alfa eBook Manager).  From what I can gather, as long as you can store and acces files (epub, etc) from your memory card you could use this product.  I would be interested in hearing anybodies thoughts.  Once again thanks to all.:smileyhappy:

Contributor
Posegate
0 Kudos

calpalmer wrote:

Does anyone have experience with Alfa eBook Manager, or another software that is decent?

I've been running Calibre on Vista 64-bit OS ever since I got my nook. It works just fine. You should check your permissions, perhaps.

New User
nookworm24
0 Kudos

Hello all -

What is Calibre file manager and where it is on the nook? I wasnt aware of other ways of downloading e-books other than the B&N store through the "Shop" feature on the nook.

Thank you!

Frequent Contributor
GonnaTri
0 Kudos

It isn't actually on the nook, you need to download Calibre onto your computer, and then you use it with your usb cord to put material onto the Nook.  You can also get news through it.