Inspired Contributor
justmejh

Calibre update adds ability to add series to book titles on the Nook

Just updated to version 0.7.21 of Calibre e-Book library manager and there is a new feature called Metadata plugboards (odd name but cool feature none the less) this allows you to customize the way eBooks on your PC are sideloaded to the Nook for example I have a lot of book series and have always wanted a way to have the Series name in the title on the Nook with the plugboard feature its easy

Preferences->Metadata Plugboards

then add the following

Format [Any format]  Device [Nook]

Source template: {series} {series_index} {title}

Destination Field [title]

and save

then transfer an eBook to the Nook and it will add the series name, series sequence number to the book title on the Nook display and if the book has no series metadata then it just displays the normal eBook title

:smileyvery-happy:

Frequent Contributor
DBDigital
0 Kudos

Re: Calibre update adds ability to add series to book titles on the Nook

Ohhh nice.  I saw there was a new update but didn't have time to check it.  I will have to give that a try.  Thanks for the tip!

I also suspect you could put the tags field there instead (or anything else).  Of course that would only help if we could search the mydocuments section on the nook itself :smileytongue:

Still very handy.  Now all we need is a few more additions to the firmware from B&N and we have real easy to use organization! :smileyhappy:

Wordsmith
wordsandmelodies
0 Kudos

Ooooh...  I haven't tried Calibre, but this is tempting...

Inspired Contributor
TheRoadRunner
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Calibre is the BOMB! I can't even think about maintaining my sideloaded content without it. Once you download and install it, it will check for new versions automatically. All you need do is download the new version and install it over the old. Works like a charm and the author is constantly improving it. Please consider making a donation to him if you find yourself using the software.

Not to hijack the thread :

If you like Calibre, you may want to add Sigil, eCUB and the Atlantis editor to your ebook toolchain as well.  Atlantis can be used to turn .txt into .epub, Sigil will work directly on .epub formatted files, and eCUB will allow you to create XHTML directly for conversion to .epub. eCUB is a bit of a "geek" tool and it helps to know a bit of XHTML.

All these are freely available but the Atlantis editor requires registration beyond it's 30 day trial. $35US

Cheers.

Cave ab homine unius libri: Beware of anyone who has just one book.
Wordsmith
gandalf1369
0 Kudos

@ justmejh

Thanks - excellet post.  Just tried it and it works great!!  Been using calibre for about a month now but tend not to really "read" the update logs.  Thanks again.

**** He Who Dies With The Most Toys Wins ****
Reader
Schemer
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Thank you!  This makes it much easier for the moment to sort books on the nook.

Although I used:

{series} {series_index:0>2s} - {title}

Since several of my book series are 10+

Distinguished Correspondent
SlaughterS

Great.

Now I'm waiting for Calibre to get a Sync Feature so I can do this for all previously loaded books without having to delete/re-add them do the nook.

This is the Internet. I'm not going to let my complete lack of actual knowledge stop me from giving my opinion....
Frequent Contributor
Rockethead26
0 Kudos

Thanks for the tip. Looks like a good one!

Distinguished Wordsmith
aditya
0 Kudos

SlaughterS wrote:

Great.

Now I'm waiting for Calibre to get a Sync Feature so I can do this for all previously loaded books without having to delete/re-add them do the nook.

Dunno if this will work for you but I use only Calibre to add/delete sideloaded content. That way, if a global feature like this comes along, I would simply delete all the sideloaded books (through Calibre's device tab) and simply add all the books again (using the metadata plugboard). 2 clicks and you're done. Why bother to sync anything when the important things (annots, bookmarks, etc.) will go away for the replaced books anyway? Of course, this way, any books whose metadata doesn't need to be changed will also be replaced - but unless you really care about the bookmarks, so what?

By the way, I can do this largely because the annotation/highlights feature is so useless - I don't care about saving any annot data in any given book because there isn't any (in any useful form).

The cake is a lie.
Inspired Contributor
astrangerhere
0 Kudos

Schemer wrote:

Thank you!  This makes it much easier for the moment to sort books on the nook.

Although I used:

Since several of my book series are 10+

I used this too as I have several 10+ series. Worked like a charm, thanks for posting

The one thing that doesn't abide by majority rule is a person's conscience. --To Kill a Mockingbird
Frequent Contributor
DBDigital
0 Kudos

SlaughterS wrote:

Great.

Hmm you shouldn't need to delete/readd them to the nook.  It should show quite clearly what  is on the libary only, what is on the nook, and what is on both.

Frequent Contributor
kellar
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Here is my metadata plugin for my NookColor and Nook.

Format:  [Any format]  Device [NOOK] --> AND/OR [NOOK_COLOR]

Source Template:  {title} ~{series: ||} {series_index:smileyembarrassed:3s|[|]}

Destination Field:   [title]

Save Plugboard-->Apply.

Send To Device yields;   Title, Series Name, Series Order.

High Price of Ebooks ~Disillusioned Consumer Series [92]

This keeps the books in Title order on the Nooks appending the series and the order to the back of the title. 

The reason I use the tilde ~ (or any character) is to distinguish the BN purchased books and Sideloaded content.  This is useful for me using the NC Library-Books view since BN and Sideloaded books are all lumped together. The tilde tells me which is the sideloaded content.  You can’t do that in My Shelves.  All you get are covers there. Bummer on that. 

Calibre Rocks!

NOTE: I don't use a Space after the colon and before the two Vertical Lines in the code

~{series}. Had to insert one to get rid of and evil autosmiley. Might work fine with the space.

Distinguished Correspondent
SlaughterS
0 Kudos

I like the series name in front so an alpha sort places all the series together and in order, so I use 

To get titles like:

Honor Harrington 01 - On Basilisk Station

Honor Harrington 02 - The Honor of the Queen

Honor Harrington 03 - The Short Victorious War

Honor Harrington 12 - Mission of Honor

This is the Internet. I'm not going to let my complete lack of actual knowledge stop me from giving my opinion....
Frequent Contributor
NookSusan
0 Kudos

Hope this works, I've been trying other things that haven't worked!

Contributor
valmonte
0 Kudos

Will this work for the NookColor too?  I would love to have the books on my shelves in order by series.  Right now, I can move each book to the series shelf, but it puts them in alphabetical order rather than series order.

Thanks for any help,

valmonte

Wordsmith
gandalf1369
0 Kudos

valmonte wrote:

Will this work for the NookColor too?  I would love to have the books on my shelves in order by series.  Right now, I can move each book to the series shelf, but it puts them in alphabetical order rather than series order.

Thanks for any help,

valmonte

I don't personally have a NookColor so I can't say for sure, but based on the name that is sent as part of the metadata I see no reason why it shouldn't.  Calibre is totally free so why not give it a try and see what happens . . .

**** He Who Dies With The Most Toys Wins ****
Frequent Contributor
kellar
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Yes, it works fine with my Nook Color as well as my Nook Classic. 

Add another metadata plugboard for Nook Color.

To Displaying Series First:

Format:  [Any format]  Device [NOOK_COLOR]
Source Template:   {series: ||} {series_index:0>2s|[|]} {title}

Save Plugboard-->Apply.

You can tweak the input paramaters to a bit for how it displays your titles.

Still having some issues with the covers not showing for sideloaded content on the Color.  I had kind of a fix for it by doing some conversions and reconversions, but it seems sporadic getting them all to show up.  Hope next Calibre update can help with that.

Frequent Contributor
MLBerry
0 Kudos

This works, but there is a slight problem.  When you do this the book title on the nook is now different from the book title in your Calibre library.  This means that the two libraries don't exactly synchronize and it may tell you that a book you know is on the nook is not on the nook.  The only workaround for this is to save the book on the nook back to the Calibre library and then delete the Extra Calibre library book.

Or you can just live with the un-synchronized libraries.

Contributor
valmonte
0 Kudos

I had the same issue of not having some of the covers show up even with the change of

<meta name="cover" content="cover"/>  in <metadata>

and <item id="cover" href="images/cover.jpg" media-type="image/jpeg"/>

What I noticed on those books not showing the cover was if you explode the epub, look at the name of the file with the cover.  The ones that were not showing the cover had the file image jpeg labeled "cover1"  Change the file name to cover and rebuild the epub again.  Load it onto NC and it should now display the cover.  I now have all my books showing their covers:smileyvery-happy:

Was that clear as mud? LOL

Hope this helps,

valmonte

Frequent Contributor
kellar
0 Kudos

I've never had a problem with either my Nook or Nook Color.

Do you mean NookBooks, and not the sideloaded books in My Documentst? 

I never have used it for drm'd BN Nookbooks that actually reside in the BN Library.  I didn't think anything other than NookBooks would work in there anyhow. 

Calibre doesn't even access the BN Library on the Nooks.  Only the Main Memory (My Documents), or the SD card.