Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Inspired Correspondent
Debh366
0 Kudos

Calibre

I've read this in a few threads but have no clue what it is or what it means?  Is it something you do from your Nook or online?  Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks! :smileyhappy:

´¨¨)) -:¦:-
¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ ..·´ -:¦:- Debbie
-:¦:- ((¸¸.·´*
Distinguished Correspondent
Gtriever
0 Kudos

Re: Calibre

From the website:  "calibre is a free and open source e-book library management application developed by users of e-books for users of e-books."

Very briefly, some of the features include sorting, metadata editing, file format conversions, and syncing to ereaders.

Frequent Contributor
Jflin
0 Kudos

Entirely external program, runs on whatever computer you may have.  Can help, for the most part, with any/all NON-BN (i.e. NOT Barnes and Noble) content.

Side-loading books, converting to different formats, managing library, loading web sites into nook-friendly offline reading, are all some of the things it can do.

I'm currently using it to manage a largish library (e.g. From Gutenberg, started by directly copying to nook ~400 works, ended up with trouble managing on the nook.  With Calibre, I'll load 50-100 at a time onto the nook, and then maintain them in Calibre (Mark as read, remove from device, etc))

Inspired Correspondent
Debh366
0 Kudos

Thanks for the info!

How do you get the download.  I'm usually pretty good with this stuff but can't find the site to download.  I googled "calibre for nook" and" calibre download for nook" and the only thing that comes up is how to's and what it does.

Can someone please send me a link?  Thank you!

¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
Correspondent
atlongster
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Its not for the Nook, so your search probably just brought up forum results.  As stated its an external ebook management program to manage the free ebooks you may have on your computer.  

So just change your search to Calibre and usually its the first or second result.

Scribe
frantastk
0 Kudos

Debh366 wrote:

Thanks for the info!

How do you get the download.  I'm usually pretty good with this stuff but can't find the site to download.  I googled "calibre for nook" and" calibre download for nook" and the only thing that comes up is how to's and what it does.

Can someone please send me a link?  Thank you!

I don't think we're supposed to post links here, but if you google just "calibre" it's the first result that comes up. Actually it appears to be the first 3 results that come up.

Fran

Inspired Correspondent
Debh366
0 Kudos

Thanks you!  I forgot we weren't suppose to post links on here.

All replies are very much appreciated!

¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
Scribe
lkmiller

Jflin wrote:

Entirely external program, runs on whatever computer you may have.  Can help, for the most part, with any/all NON-BN (i.e. NOT Barnes and Noble) content.

Side-loading books, converting to different formats, managing library, loading web sites into nook-friendly offline reading, are all some of the things it can do.

I'm currently using it to manage a largish library (e.g. From Gutenberg, started by directly copying to nook ~400 works, ended up with trouble managing on the nook.  With Calibre, I'll load 50-100 at a time onto the nook, and then maintain them in Calibre (Mark as read, remove from device, etc))

Just wanted to mention that while you can't open or convert the BN DRM ebooks in Calibre, you can still use Calibre to manage them.  I keep track of all my ebooks from all sources with Calibre.

Frequent Contributor
MLBerry
0 Kudos

Get Sigil too.  You can use it to clean up DRM free e-pub files once Calibre has converted them.  A Calibre conversion is not always clean and nook ready.  Sigil will let you clean it up and put in Chapter breaks if necessary.

Frequent Contributor
GonnaTri
0 Kudos

I like reading Kiplingers, is there a way to get info from their site sent to Calibre so I can sideload it on my Nook?  I've played around with it, but can't seem to figure it out. thanks in advance.

Inspired Bibliophile
Desert_Brat
0 Kudos

GonnaTri wrote:

I like reading Kiplingers, is there a way to get info from their site sent to Calibre so I can sideload it on my Nook?  I've played around with it, but can't seem to figure it out. thanks in advance.

If Kiplingers has a public RSS feed, there is a way to add your own programming line to the fetch service. It should be explained in the online help pages and in the little e-book guide that comes with the newer versions of the program.

Also, if you know of a good feed, you can send an e-mail to the program author, Kovid Goyal so he can look into it.

A lifelong reader, now may my life be long enough to catch up on my reading!
Frequent Contributor
GonnaTri
0 Kudos

ok, thanks, i'm gonna keep playing around with it and try and figure it out.

Inspired Bibliophile
Desert_Brat
0 Kudos

GonnaTri wrote:

ok, thanks, i'm gonna keep playing around with it and try and figure it out.

I've not added an RSS feed to my Calibre, so I can't speak to the process.

But I did notice on the Kiplinger website, under the newsletter tab, way down at the bottom there is an orange button for RSS feed, so they do have one.

A lifelong reader, now may my life be long enough to catch up on my reading!
Reader
smac6
0 Kudos

How do I go about loading all my purchased B&N content (B&N Library) in Calibre. Ive only seem to able to load, view etc, My Documents. I'd liv to be able to bring them all into one collection, add (if necessary) meta data and manage.......any help is appreciated.

Wordsmith
Po1gara
0 Kudos

With your nook connected to your computer you can drag and drop from your nook B&N folder to Calibre but you probably won't have book titles, just ISBN numbers. I find it easier to download my B&N books to nook for PC, then open documents, My Barnes & Noble ebooks on Windows. You can then drag and drop or copy/paste your books into Calibre. I'm not familiar with Mac so not sure where you'd find the files there. Hope this helps. :smileyhappy: