Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Reader
TeriNM
0 Kudos

Calibre

Could you all tell me if it is worth the time and effort.  I am not sure what it will do for me,

Doug_Pardee
Kudos: 4,015
0 Kudos

Re: Calibre

It depends on what you want, obviously.

Calibre is primarily an e-book library system. It copies your e-books into its own directory (when you tell it to, not automatically), and you can categorize and sort the e-books in your Calibre library in various ways. You can update the metadata to correct errors or fill in blanks.

Calibre can be used to transfer e-books to your NOOK. The advantage is that it makes a thumbnail JPEG of the cover when it transfers the file, so that your NOOK will show the cover on the color screen when you open that e-book (I don't know about NOOKcolor).

Calibre can process feeds from a wide variety of newspapers and magazines and make them available for transfering to your NOOK. I've never used that, so I can't tell you any more about it.

Calibre can convert e-books from one format to another, as long as the e-book doesn't have DRM (Digital Rights Management, or copy protection). This usually isn't necessary, since most e-books have DRM and you'll probably have them in EPUB format anyway.

If you buy all of your e-books from B&N and download them wirelessly, Calibre isn't going to do much for you. If you have a collection of e-books from multiple suppliers, then it can be much more useful.

Contributor
Victor3000
0 Kudos

I use Calibre and love it. It is a free program and quick to learn. If you do not have e-books on your pc, you may not have a use for it. But, if you do, it's a quick and efficient way to organize them, load them to your device, change any erroneous information (title, author, cover art).  

*Insert Signature Here*
Contributor
Jhuygut
0 Kudos

I've found it very useful as I've gotten several books from authors sites and publisher sites and it makes organization easier.  Even if you don't have books from other sources it may be worth looking at in case you do at the future you have an idea of ways to organize it.  At least if you have the time to look at it now.

Contributor
Pelican71
0 Kudos

Doug

What I can't figure out is why some of my books have the cover and some don't. I've used Calibre for a few months and use it not only to catalogue but to convert. I'm new to NOOKcolor having had a K2i. Side loading books, using Overdrive and downloading from B&N hasn't been a problem.

Reading helps us develop empathy, imagination and a powerful vocabulary. That is why reading matters.
Doug_Pardee
0 Kudos

Pelican71 wrote:

What I can't figure out is why some of my books have the cover and some don't.

There are all sorts of possibilities, but the usual reason for not having a usable cover is that the cover image is encrypted (along with the rest of the e-book) with DRM. From B&N, most NOOKbooks have DRM but some publishers don't require it—Samhain, Carina, Smashwords, O'Reilly, and Microsoft being among the more prominent.

For NOOKbooks, I generally have to download the cover from the B&N page for the e-book and add it by hand to the Calibre metadata, along with the description, series, series number, and oftentimes the ISBN.

Reader
TeriNM
0 Kudos

If I download books from BN to my computer.  Do they still show in my BN acct?   I am asking because we are about to be a three nook family on the same acct and I do not want to lose other family members books to my computer.  They all have their own computers,

Reader 2
MNART
0 Kudos

Hi Doug,

Your surprises for new Nook owners (dated 7/2010)---do those apply to the NookColor as well or does that need to be edited?  New Nookcolor owner--loving it but am age hampered; how can I get books/files I added to my files on nookcolor to delete as I have some garbage that needs to go?  Finally, what is the best way to add books from library or google--I am finding Adobe Digital Editions difficult to work with.  (Calibre?)    Thanks for your time  when do you sleep?  MNART

Doug_Pardee
0 Kudos

MNART wrote:

Hi Doug,

Your surprises for new Nook owners (dated 7/2010)---do those apply to the NookColor as well or does that need to be edited?

It doesn't apply to NOOKcolor. The NOOKcolor is a completely different animal from the NOOK 3G and NOOK Wi-Fi. I don't know anything about NOOKcolor.

NOOKcolor has its own forums. This forum is for the NOOK 3G and NOOK Wi-Fi.

NOOKcolor General Discussion forum: http://bookclubs.barnesandnoble.com/t5/NOOKcolor-General-Discussion/bd-p/NOOKcolorGeneralDiscussion

NOOKcolor Technical Support forum: http://bookclubs.barnesandnoble.com/t5/NOOKcolor-Technical-Support/bd-p/NOOKcolortechnicalsupport

Contributor
Pelican71
0 Kudos

Thanks Doug, I will give your suggestion a try.  I'm still learning to navigate the boards, but ran across a free book list you posted back in November.  A couple of the books were still free. :smileyhappy: I, like most, appreciate your compiling the list.

Reading helps us develop empathy, imagination and a powerful vocabulary. That is why reading matters.
Doug_Pardee
0 Kudos

Free NOOKbook list

Pelican71 wrote:

ran across a free book list you posted back in November.  A couple of the books were still free.

That list is continually updated. Here's today's, from page 13 of the thread: http://bookclubs.barnesandnoble.com/t5/NOOKbook-Discussion/Free-NOOKbook-summary-thread-please-no-OT...