Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Contributor
lexieMG
0 Kudos

Can Nook receive an ebook from Amazon?

If an ebook is available on Amazon and not B&N can it be purchased at Amazon and downloaded to the Nook?

Frequent Contributor
Teski
0 Kudos

Re: Can Nook receive an ebook from Amazon?

No. The Amazon format is proprietary and won't work with the nook.

Frequent Contributor
SkeeterHarris
0 Kudos

another reason to avoid the Kindle! - The book format is proprietary so any books you buy can only be read with either Kindle or Kindle software.

Frequent Contributor
Alley415
0 Kudos

SkeeterHarris wrote:

another reason to avoid the Kindle! - The book format is proprietary so any books you buy can only be read with either Kindle or Kindle software.

This is no different than bying Blu-Ray over DVD or Mac over PC software.  It hasn't stopped the sales on either from growing.

Frequent Contributor
pidgeon92
0 Kudos

SkeeterHarris wrote:

And on what other device (not using B&N software) can I read ebooks purchased from B&N?

Frequent Contributor
SkeeterHarris
0 Kudos

No question you are right here and yes sales on both sides will continue.  I would like however to see compatibility between formats.   While in your example a Blu-Ray Player can play both DVD and Blu-Ray discs while a standard definition play can only play DVD at least the superior format can play both.   To me e-pub is an open format among other more e-readers and I would like to see Amazon go that way.   What frosts my cookies with Amazon is the fact I have aprox 10 books that are stuck on that platform.

Frequent Contributor
alangerow

pidgeon92 wrote:

SkeeterHarris wrote:

And on what other device (not using B&N software) can I read ebooks purchased from B&N?

Adobe is incorporating the Barnes & Noble DRM into Adobe Digital Editions and its DRM scheme. So, shortly, any device that supports Adobe DRM will also support Barnes & Nobles DRM. Which means most every device except for the Kindle.

Frequent Contributor
Alley415
0 Kudos

alangerow wrote:

pidgeon92 wrote:

SkeeterHarris wrote:

Adobe is incorporating the Barnes & Noble DRM into Adobe Digital Editions and its DRM scheme. So, shortly, any device that supports Adobe DRM will also support Barnes & Nobles DRM. Which means most every device except for the Kindle.

iPad will also not be supported by ADE.  In addition, any book you currently have from B&N that is not in epub will not work on outside sources.  Many have stated they assumed all B&N eboks would be in epub only to find they are pdb with DRM.

Frequent Contributor
alangerow
0 Kudos

Alley415 wrote:

iPad will also not be supported by ADE.  In addition, any book you currently have from B&N that is not in epub will not work on outside sources.  Many have stated they assumed all B&N eboks would be in epub only to find they are pdb with DRM.

True. PDB files will not be supported. Though B&N is supposedly going to convert all their eBooks to ePub, so hopefully already downloaded eBooks in PDB will be replaced with ePub versions. Hopefully we'll see a big push from B&N towards full ePub conversion around when Adobe fully supports the B&N DRM because it'll be in their own best interest to have as much device support as possible. 

Frequent Contributor
SkeeterHarris
0 Kudos

Well it would appear I stand corrected on the DRM formatting on the Barnes & Noble books.  Certainly and ideally it would be great to be able to legitimately move my books from one device to another with some level of DRM verification.

Frequent Contributor
Alley415
0 Kudos

alangerow wrote:

Alley415 wrote:

True. PDB files will not be supported. Though B&N is supposedly going to convert all their eBooks to ePub, so hopefully already downloaded eBooks in PDB will be replaced with ePub versions. Hopefully we'll see a big push from B&N towards full ePub conversion around when Adobe fully supports the B&N DRM because it'll be in their own best interest to have as much device support as possible. 

Unless it has changed (and that is always possible) it was stated a while back on here that the new formatting to epub is done by publishers and would require a new license/purchase if the original one was pdb.  There was quite a bit of complaints as the purchase page on B&N does not indicate which you are getting. Some speculated this was so B&N could have at its discretion the ability to offer a pdb file instead of an epub if there were formatting or technical problems.

Frequent Contributor
SkeeterHarris
0 Kudos

So here's a question to you guys - If I by a book from O'Reilly in EPUB format will I be able to open it on the nook?

Frequent Contributor
pidgeon92
0 Kudos

alangerow wrote:

I'm not a big believer in prognostication. Until this becomes reality, B&N and Amazon are on equal footing in the DRM department.

Distinguished Wordsmith
eDigest
0 Kudos

pidgeon92 wrote:

I'm not a big believer in prognostication. Until this becomes reality, B&N and Amazon are on equal footing in the DRM department.

Strictly speaking,that is true -- both Amazon and B&N have DRM that limits books from their stores to certain platforms.  But it is not the whole story.

Kindle supports Amazon format and mobi, which is locked to the device it is activated on.  (Yes, Alley, I know that it also supports txt and HTML, neither of which are used for real ebooks by any of the major players.)

nook supports books purchased anywhere you can find PDB, ePUB, and ADE which is an expansive universe.  Literally dozens of ebook mongers offer PDB and ePUB.

Of course, this entire discussion after Teski's initial answer to the OP ("No ...") is off topic.  :smileyvery-happy:

Contributor
Jaydoc
0 Kudos

I wish it were able to get Kindle books downloaded to Nook. I have a growing list of books that I want that are on Kindle but not Nook!

Frequent Contributor
EagleEyez
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Yes.

[In reponse to the question "So here's a question to you guys - If I by a book from O'Reilly in EPUB format will I be able to open it on the nook?"]

Frequent Contributor
SkeeterHarris
0 Kudos

@EagleEyez - Thanks for the answer on this!

TNS
Distinguished Correspondent
TNS
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

alangerow wrote:

Alley415 wrote:

But there are already PDB readers available for lots of other devices.  From Ereader.com and Fictionwise and some from B&N.

As far as Amazon is concerned, they did at one time support lots of epub books using adobe Digital editions.  They even still have a very limited number of books in that format.  They just got greedy when they decided to come out with the Kindle.  If the other Ereader's such as nook can put enough pressure on them, perhaps they might begin to support epub again.

Frequent Contributor
Alley415
0 Kudos

TNS wrote:

But there are already PDB readers available for lots of other devices.  From Ereader.com and Fictionwise and some from B&N.

As far as Amazon is concerned, they did at one time support lots of epub books using adobe Digital editions.  They even still have a very limited number of books in that format.  They just got greedy when they decided to come out with the Kindle.  If the other Ereader's such as nook can put enough pressure on them, perhaps they might begin to support epub again.

B&N uses DRM on their pdb files so they can't be read on devices/software other than theri own.  I also doubt that Amazon will cave based upon pressure form other sources.  The only reason they may do so is for the customer.  I have several clients who are authors and don't like the ePub format due to lack of restriction by the seller.  If the DRM is stripped, it is one step closer to being fully opened so that anyone could read it.  iTunes has yet to cave on their format other than to raise the price a bit on those without DRM yet many artists refuse to sell without the DRM.  It is a personal preference.  I have never worried about being able to play my iTunes on other devices because I prefer my iPods.  Likewise, my husband has a Zune and prefers the subscription service. 
If you like a device and the company behind it, why is there a need to worry about if it will be viewed in the future? When DVDs came out, I simply began replacing my VHS collection with them.  I never worried about a new format.  ePub could become completely obsolete in a few years,.  There is simply know way to know and I personally am not going to worry about it.  I have friends who converted their entire movie collections to HD only to have it fall to Blu-ray just a couple of years later.
Inspired Bibliophile
LarryOnLI
0 Kudos

Re: Can Nook receive an eBook from Amazon?

Alley415 wrote:

TNS wrote:

B&N uses DRM on their pdb files so they can't be read on devices/software other than theri own.  I also doubt that Amazon will cave based upon pressure form other sources.  The only reason they may do so is for the customer.  I have several clients who are authors and don't like the ePub format due to lack of restriction by the seller.  If the DRM is stripped, it is one step closer to being fully opened so that anyone could read it.  iTunes has yet to cave on their format other than to raise the price a bit on those without DRM yet many artists refuse to sell without the DRM.  It is a personal preference.  I have never worried about being able to play my iTunes on other devices because I prefer my iPods.  Likewise, my husband has a Zune and prefers the subscription service. 
If you like a device and the company behind it, why is there a need to worry about if it will be viewed in the future? When DVDs came out, I simply began replacing my VHS collection with them.  I never worried about a new format.  ePub could become completely obsolete in a few years,.  There is simply know way to know and I personally am not going to worry about it.  I have friends who converted their entire movie collections to HD only to have it fall to Blu-ray just a couple of years later.

@Alley415, From my point of view it would be a good thing for Amazon to support publishing books for the nook and other ePub readers. After all they are a book seller, and with the new agency model being pushed by McMillan they will no longer be able to push eBooks as a loss leader to sell kindles (which was never workable as a long term strategy anyway).

A number of people use the change in format from from DVD to BluRay as a comparison to the different formats used for electronic book publishing. In my opinion this is an invalid argument. Moving from DVD to BluRay gives very tangible benefits, mainly improved video and sound quality along with increased capacity. Also while you need to buy a new player to watch BD movies, you do not need to buy a Sony player to watch Sony pictures.

The current availability of multiple e-book formats is more like the VHS/Betamax or BluRay/HD-DVD shake out. In each of these cases there ended up being a clear winner of the "format war". At this time no one can predict with certainty who it will be, but I've placed my bet on ePub.

Regardless of who wins I am looking forward to the day when I can buy an eReader I want and buy content fro that device from any seller. When that day arrives the real winner will be the consumer.