Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Distinguished Correspondent
AndyfromVA
0 Kudos

Can You Still Read DTB's?

[ Edited ]

So I took this deadtree book out of the public library, "Rag and Bone" by James R. Benn, volume 5 of the Billy Boyle WWII mystery series.  I've been looking forward to reading it.  By page 25 I'm realizing this is not a pleasant experience.  The words are hard to discern on the page.  The book is bulky.  The page turning is cumbersome.

Using the Nook has spoiled me.

Anyone else feel this way?

AlanNJ
Topics: 64
Kudos: 1,518
0 Kudos

Re: Can You Still Read DTB's?

I haven't read a DTB since getting my Nook last March so can't answer your question.  I do continue to read DTM's (Dead Tree Magazines) though... :smileywink:

►Without order there is chaos◄
Distinguished Wordsmith
MWorrell
0 Kudos

Yes, I am now the laziest person that ever lived. I hate holding a book open, and it bothers me that the page is not perfectly flat and uniformly lit.

Frequent Contributor
CasperAZ
0 Kudos

With the way I can increase the font size, the NOOKcolor has steered me away from DTBs.

"The NOOKcolor Aficionado"
Distinguished Bibliophile
ABthree
0 Kudos

Absolutely!  Reading a DTB is a real hardship now.  :smileysad:

+LORD, preserve the good in their goodness, and+
+in your kindness, make the wicked become good.+
-- St. Basil the Great+
Distinguished Scribe
Ya_Ya
0 Kudos

Can I?  Yes.  Do I find it enjoyable?  Not.at.all.

I said something similar in another thread.  Holding the book is annoying.  Trying to eat while holding a book (something I did regularly for the first 34 years of my life) is awful.  Having to figure out where I was in the book because I put it down to yell at the JRT and didn't slip in a bookmark sucks.

I'll probably only read DTBs when I can't find the ebook anywhere.  

Nallia
Topics: 125
Kudos: 3,236
0 Kudos

PBReilley
0 Kudos

I still read both, but have to admit I do now find the DTBs (both paperback and hardcover) kind of unwieldy. 

Inspired Bibliophile
Desert_Brat
0 Kudos

Sure you can still read a DTB. But you have to do it in the closet using a flashlight or the whole family will want to know why aren't you reading it on your nook? :smileytongue:

A lifelong reader, now may my life be long enough to catch up on my reading!
mister-j
0 Kudos

I still read DTB as I am a rereader and have many I enjoy from before owning my Nooks.  But, on a recent cruise, as I walked the decks and around the pool I noticed it was the DTB readers who were having problems reading with the wind blowing their pages around.  It was definitly a two handed job for them.

Frequent Contributor
Scooter_Moonpie

Not anymore...my arms aren't long enough. I've read one DTB since I bought my Nook in April.....it wasn't easy with my short arms.:smileywink:

Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.
Contributor
rmccort
0 Kudos

So I can and do still read DTBs, however this morning I did decide to skip reading a book because it isn't available in nook format yet. So I guess the time is coming...

Distinguished Scribe
Ya_Ya

Nallia wrote:

No, I still love my hardcovers.  But I'm a freak so pay no attention to me.  :smileytongue:  :smileywink:

Oh, I'll probably still buy them to sit on the shelf and be pretty, but now I'll have to buy the ebook as well.  *cries*

Frequent Contributor
edUcateMS
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

I read a DTB not too long ago when my fave author put out the next in his series (had to have the DTB to go in the collection on the shelf).    Since I bought the DTB, I thought I'd save some money and not buy the ebook.      I've discovered I now have adult ADD or something similar because I couldn't concentrate on the page.    My attention span while reading with the DTB was zilch.  I considered several times that I need to purchase the entire collection in ebook format so I could enjoy my reading instead of struggling with the DTBs

Frequent Contributor
Prmetime
0 Kudos

Yes I read them all the time.  Especially if it is areference book as going back and forth on an electronic format is a real pain. I also find the real books to be much better when it comes to picutres.  While I am definitely enjoying the convenience of my Nook (I have the entire coolected works of Dumas in my Nook), I would always want some real books.  I don't have to worry about real books going away from my shelves if the power goes out or my Nook account gets messed up.  :smileywink:

Nallia
Topics: 125
Kudos: 3,236
0 Kudos

Ya_Ya wrote:

Nallia wrote:

No, I still love my hardcovers.  But I'm a freak so pay no attention to me.  :smileytongue:  :smileywink:

Oh, I'll probably still buy them to sit on the shelf and be pretty, but now I'll have to buy the ebook as well.  *cries*

Me too!  Sometimes I think you may be my book twin.  :smileyvery-happy:

gqb
Inspired Scribe
gqb
0 Kudos

I went a long time without reading a DTB and then decided to reread a YA series that is not in e-book format.  I found the same thing - book staying open, falling asleep and having to find my place, etc.  But, I loved this series so much I went through it.  I also tried to reread a hardback in bed - that was hard!

Inspired Wordsmith
gstone
0 Kudos

Umm... That was why I bought an eReader in the first place. I needed something to expand the text so I could read.

Other than that, the nook is more comfortable than trying to hold a book open to a specific page. I remember getting cramps in my hand from trying to force new books to stay open to a particular page.

Oh yeah, my dog eats books she doesn't eat nooks so that's another plus.

Inspired Wordsmith
BrandieC

[ Edited ]

@ Nallia and Ya_Ya:

Better make that triplets, 'cause I'm in, too!

Distinguished Scribe
kathylcsw
0 Kudos

I just got my Nook for Christmas so I still switch back and forth between it and DTB's. I usually am reading one DTB and one e book. I don't typically read 2 books at a time but it is working  out pretty good. I do LOVE my Nook though.