New User
estrella_
0 Kudos

Can i download different games to the Blk/Wht Nook?

I got bored of just chess and sudoku is not an interesting game for me. Is there any other games that i can put on t, and if so, where can i find them?

Distinguished Bibliophile
RHWright
0 Kudos

Re: Can i download different games to the Blk/Wht Nook?

No.

Since the NOOK is an eReader, not a gaming device, it is unlikely (though not impossible) that we will see other choices added in the future.

Other than that, how are you enjoying your new gadget?

New User
estrella_
0 Kudos

Oh ok thanks!

Well I am actually enjoying my Nook very much! Its just so easy to use, and has made reading so much easier than just going out and buying a book. I guess its understandable for the Nook not being able to have more games since its a eReader, but i still love the device.

What about yourself? Hows the Nook going for you?

RHWright
0 Kudos

@estrella,

I've had my classic NOOK for almost a year now. And despite the impression you might get from browsing these boards, my experience has been pretty much trouble-free.

Not to say that user experience doesn't vary widely.

The great thing is when you do have problems, people here are usually pretty great about pitching in and helping out if they can.

New User
ByNookOrByCrook
0 Kudos

Saying there are no games available because the nook is a dedicated "ereader" doesn't really hold up. My wife's Kindle has plenty of extra games that can be downloaded for free or purchased for a couple dollars.

I mean, I wouldn't call it a deal breaker, but it would be nice. I have the nook color and I hear there will be an app store soon. I imagine there will be a few little scrabble type games in there.

New User
sorabora2

This kind of makes me upset because I know it's just an ereader, but when I'm on long car rides, I also want to play games, not just read; and I dont know how to play chess or sudoku. I wish they would make just a simple game for it or something. My friends have the kindle also, and they can download all these games and such, and there are none for the Nook ereader. Hopefully the barnes and noble company can change that feature. :smileyhappy:

Correspondent
Byteguy
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

e-ink screens are VERY slow to update.  That makes them terrible for a lot of games.

Of course, you could "root" your Nook and then it becomes a baby iPad.

But, take a look what Angry Birds looks like on it:  click here

Oh, and battery life will be amazingly short.  It's designed to do very little actual processing work in order to keep the weight and size down.

Contributor
pisceschick
0 Kudos

It's not a "gaming device," but since they opened the door with having sudoku and chess, why not add some more?  I think a crossword puzzle, checkers, hangman, or tic tac toe would work nicely on the e-ink Nook.  I hope they get around to adding some additional games, as it would make me love my Nook even more than I already do.

Distinguished Correspondent
Nerdgirljenn
0 Kudos

I know I've asked for this before (I have a N1E).  I would be willing to pay for different games too...because I'm like most of you that posted here...I like to play games in between my reading (which I do a lot of)...my Nook is a great device, just saying it could  be even better...

(I have played LOTS of sodku on my Nook, it's a game I loved for a long time)

"The earth laughs in flowers."~Emerson
"Where there is love, there is life." ~Ghandi
RHWright
0 Kudos

At this point, I would highly doubt that any further games will be made available for the N1E, as the product is being phased out.

I go through my phases of sudoku fascination, but honestly, I haven't opened the games on my N1E in over 6 months. YMMV, of course.

Frequent Contributor
Loyd
0 Kudos

You are suggesting text like games that the touch screen can easily support without much drain on the battery. I'm hoping someone will design a Z-machine for it to play the old Infocom style text adventure games. There are hundreds of new ones too. The device seems perfect for this since the text adventure game genre is like reading an interactive book.

I may be dreaming but I hope Activision, the company that now owns the Infocom copyrights, would sell the old games and possibly develop some new ones in addition to the hundreds of free ones written by fans.