Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. On May 1, we’re saying goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

New User
tomski
0 Kudos

Can't Continue with Setup

Hi,

Just picked up my Nook Color today.  Started going through the setup.  Got my WiFi configed (displays "Remembered, secured with WPA/WPA2") but the "Continue with Setup" button is grayed out.

I'm in the process of downloading the SW patch but I can't believe that has anything to do with it.

Anyone have any suggestions?

New User
nater77
0 Kudos

Re: Can't Continue with Setup

I bought mine this afternoon and I'm having the same problem.  I can't believe that in 2011 a wireless device doesn't just "connect".  I have a mac, three PCs, an iPod touch, apple TV, PS3 and they all wirelessly "connect" without any issues.  No messing around with the router or MAC filtering or WEP/WPA/SSID or anything else.  They just "work".

I've been through my router and followed all suggestions from everyone and still can't get through the network step of the setup. 

I'm going to give it through tonight, but if I can't get it connected, I'm returning this POS tomorrow.

Nate

Wordsmith
Runnergirl77
0 Kudos

Have either of you called BN to talk to a Nook techie?

Now, I'm not making excuses, but I noted that their site today, between 6:00 and 7:00, was sluggish.  Perhaps something was going on, particularly if you were waiting for a reply from their servers.  I just thought that the wifi was busy at the store location, fouling up my download, but perhaps it was something deeper. 

I even went so far as talking to a sales person, who was surprised that I was calm and cool about it.  She was shocked when I said, "I'll work it out later.  If it's still troublesome by the weekend, I'll call BN."  Hardware is never worth bashing one's head against the wall over.

Call 1-800-THEBOOK, and talk to someone about this before you panic, rip hair out, rend clothing, etc.

New User
nater77
0 Kudos

Runnergirl,

If only I had hair to pull out...haha.  Seriously though, I'm on hold waiting for a tech support person now.  I'm a web developer and have zero patience when tech gadgets don't work.  The frustrating thing is the lack of an error message.  It says "obtaining address" but then goes back to "remembered, secured by wep".  Why wouldn't it have a red X or a message that says "failed to connect"? 

Anyway, I'll keep y'all posted on my experience.  I have a sinking feeling I'm going to be returning the NC and waiting for the next gen iPad.

Thanks for the reply....I appreciate it.

Nate

New User
nater77
0 Kudos

Ok - after waiting 16 minutes 30 seconds without talking with anyone, I was able to figure out the correct settings.  For those of you with Verizon FIOS, here's what I did to get connected:

1. Log in to your router using 192.168.1.1 in your internet browser

2. Click on the "wireless" icon in the top menu bar

3. In the left menu, select "Basic Security Settings"

4. Go to option 4 and select Advanced (WPA/WPA2,802.1x) and click apply at the bottom.

5. In the left menu, select "Advanced Security Settings"

6. Select WPA/WPA2 under the Level 1 header. When you click the radio button, the page will open a set of options.

7. Under "Stations Security Type" choose WPA2 from the drop-down

8. For authentication type, it should be set to "pre-shared key" (this should be the default setting)

9. Type in any password/key you'd like. It should be at least 12 characters and can be any number, letter or special character

10. Under Encryption Algorithm, select AES from the drop-down. Leave the other settings as the default.

11. Click on "apply" at the bottom.

You're router will NOT have to be rebooted, however, your laptop or desktop will need to be reconnected using the new security settings.

Once this is complete, go back to your NC and the network should now say "secured by WPA/WPA2.  Enter in the new password/key you used in step 9 from above.

Viola!  Your "continue setup" button should now be green and you'll be able to continue the registration process.

Sorry for the long email but it's been my experience that others will have the same problem and it's frustrating when you can't find a solution.  If anyone needs help, feel free to send me a message.

Good luck everyone and Happy New Year!

Nate

Wordsmith
Runnergirl77
0 Kudos

Nate, I am so glad that you got it working.  The Nook Color is such a great product, I actually feel sad for those who have unhappy experiences for whatever reason.

I'll have to save this thread.  Not everybody out there is as tech-savvy as you are!

New User
infinity2heaven
0 Kudos

If you're using Airport Utility, the problem could be that you're using only Wireless Security WPA2 mode. Change it to WPA/WPA2 Personal.

Give it some time, power off, power on -- it worked for me.

New User
sectreas
0 Kudos

Called tech support they read the book that they have and wouldn't listen. Millions of computers connect to wifi routers everyday without changing the router settings. What happens if you can't get to the router at locations that have wifi.

Sorry it's just frustrating that tech support passes the buck and will not listen.

Distinguished Bibliophile
keriflur
0 Kudos

sectreas wrote:

Called tech support they read the book that they have and wouldn't listen. Millions of computers connect to wifi routers everyday without changing the router settings. What happens if you can't get to the router at locations that have wifi.

Sorry it's just frustrating that tech support passes the buck and will not listen.

You've posted in an old thread, but it sounds like you're having a current issue.  Which nook do you have, and which router?  Maybe we can help.

Inspired Contributor
robertVA
0 Kudos

Just remember that the WiFi hot spots at places like B&N, many public libraries and coffee bars are configured with little or no security just to make it easy for customers to log in. At home that would be an invitation for a neighbor to piggy back on your wireless access point (WAP) to use up your bandwidth (making it slow for you to uses your internet connection), use up any monthly download/upload allowance your Internet provider has imposed ("unlimited" sometimes isn't) or expose you to accusations of music/video piracy or even possetion/purchase of child porography. Some "public"/retail hot spots route their wireless traffic through a computer that resticts an individual's data usage or blocks access to dubious web sites.

Check the documentation that came with yourwireless router to learn about settings you can make to restrict unauthorized use. There might even be some sort or video, Powerpoint or other presentation to explain the terminology on a software installation CD. If you don't have such instructional material on some local storage media there might be tutorials on the router manufacturer's web site. Since someone using the turtorial might be a prospective customer you might be able to learn using a different router manufacturer's web site.

When you access your router's administrative control interface ther might even be "pages" that show which devices are connected to your WAP and explinations of which settings are needed to authorize a new device.