Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

New User
Momzer
0 Kudos

Can't access shop

Anyone else not able to access shop.  Have great wi-fi connection and when I press shop the top left hand corner says shop and the screen is white.  In about 15 seconds it reverts back to my home page.  I went to shop on Thursday night and Friday on I have not been able to access it.  I did order a book on line and it is not downloading.  Any ideas out there?

BN_Rick
0 Kudos

Re: Can't access shop

Hi Momzer, you may want to try completely powering off the device and then back on to see if that fixes it for you. Also try archiving and unarchiving the NOOK Book.  If you continue to experience difficulties, please call us at 1-800-THE-BOOK (1-800-843-2665) and select option 2 for Digital Support. 

New User
zack1
0 Kudos

i am having the same issue.I select the shop,screen goes white for a sec then back to home page.All other functionality is good.Tried multiple restarts,was able to buy a book that i had downloaded as a sample while in my library.Wi-fi connection is excellent as is the 3g signal,stumped.Nook is fully charged and has no other issues.

New User
Saint1958
0 Kudos

The most recent Nook problems have to be planned by some boob in management. Like other posters, I have not been able to shop for about a week.  I tried to switch to my wife's Nook, but I ran into problems there too. I ordered a book; but it did not download. I got one of those messages to call a number.  I called and waited and waited and finally hung up. I assume if I got through that I would be given a sales pitch for the most recent Nook.  I will never buy another Nook.  Any halfwit who checked my account would see that I have ordered a couple thousand dollars worth of books since I got my Nook. 

New User
Dracm

Re: Can't access shop redux Dec 2012

My 1st edition nook stopped accessing the shop at the end of November 2012. I am still able to download books I have purchased via B&N.com, and all other functionality of the nook is fine. I really don't want to reset to factory settings if I can avoid it. Nook staff - can you please advise what is happening here? Is this like the software update from the beggining of the year? I really want to be able to buy books on a whim whenever I need to. Before you ask, yes I have full access to the interenet, can surf using the browser, and my nook will download books from b&n if I buy them on the website using a computer.

When I hit the shop button the screen goes blank, then reverts to the n main screen icon.

Correspondent
Wulfraed

[ Edited ]

There are about three or four current/active threads regarding the 1st edition shop problem (and FYI -- if there was a shop problem earlier in the year, I never saw it.

About a third of the posters on those threads have managed to restore the shop by (and this is the sequence I followed, some claim just the first steps are needed):

1. Go to a local B&N store
  2. Let the Nook recognize the in-store shop (I received some big "welcome to Woodland Mall B&N" page -- but the shop button wasn't sufficient to restore the shop).
  3. Full power-off
  4. Power-on -- this is where some claim the shop was fully functional... I went on to
  1. While powered down, open the back cover
  2. Remove the battery (needs a small screwdriver)
  3. Hold the power button down for 10-15 seconds (just paranoia -- this should suffice to drain any latent charge in capacitors that might be holding things in registers)
  4. Re-install the battery
  5. Reboot the device. The shop was now functioning
  6. Test the shop on return home and my LAN.

I did that on Sunday... The shop is still active on my unit.

About a third claim they can't get to a B&N to try the above... Another third have done the deregister/reset to factory/re-register sequence.

Baron Wulfraed
New User
MarleneT
0 Kudos

I have been having this problem since November. The first time I called the help line, I was told the problem was due to their high volume of purchases and should be resolved fairly quickly. I can't shop; it still goes back to the n screen. I tried taking out the battery but it still doesn't work. I didn't want to do the factory reset either, but I guess this is what I will need to do if I want to purchase books without having to go online. You'd think they would be able to correct this problem....

Distinguished Wordsmith
TXAnnie
0 Kudos

I have the same problem, thought it was just getting old and that part no longer functioning.  I have been purchasing books from my iPad and I can then access them from my nook.

New User
LMcLallen
0 Kudos

I have the same problem just got off of the phone with 1-800-The Book, B&N supposed Tech support number.  I went to this after going to my B&N store and the gentleman there telling me there was no fix other than buying a new Nook. 

Now I'm reading I could have possibly tried to reboot while in the store.  I will go back and try that.

Oh, yeah B&N tech support from a different country, had No clue what to do and only suggested that there is a NEW software update in the last two weeks and if I:

1. unregister my nook (deleting all my books once again)

2. Restore to factory settings

3. Re-register

Then the new software update should have taken effect and restored the Shop button. 

I will try this prior to going to the store even though I'll once again lose my books. 

If either way works I'll post again to let posters know which one did.  Or....didn't. 

Correspondent
Wulfraed
0 Kudos

I know of no software update for the First Edition Nook. The Simple Touch models, I believe, had the recent update.

Baron Wulfraed