Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

New User
nomadz2
0 Kudos

Re: Can't buy books outside of US???

I am planning on being out of the country for an extended time shortly and was looking into purchasing the new Nook specifically so that I could have plenty to read while out of the country.

It certainly can be a pain to deal with this limitation if you travel and stay for extended times.

Seems like if your account has a US address the IP address shouldn't matter, (at least in my opinion)

One can't always pre-load a six month supply of books to read :smileyhappy:

The work around suggested seems like a good one providing you have someone reliable back here in the States.

Nomadz2
Distinguished Wordsmith
Josienjoe
0 Kudos

@ nomadz2,

Amazon is an international company, so the IP address does not matter; B&N is a US company only, so the IP address does matter.  They cannot sell books outside of the US.

Wordsmith
Tim40744
0 Kudos

Josienjoe wrote:

@ nomadz2,

Amazon is an international company, so the IP address does not matter; B&N is a US company only, so the IP address does matter.  They cannot sell books outside of the US.

FWIW, Amazon goes by the unit ID number, not the IP address. If the unit is registered to an American address, books are sold to the customer as an American no matter where s/he and the device happen to be.

Distinguished Wordsmith
Josienjoe
0 Kudos

Tim40744 wrote:

Josienjoe wrote:

@ nomadz2,

FWIW, Amazon goes by the unit ID number, not the IP address. If the unit is registered to an American address, books are sold to the customer as an American no matter where s/he and the device happen to be.

Thanks for the info.  I'm not sure of all the legalities, but based on numerous threads on this subject, the fact that Amazon is an international company is instrumental to being able to sell outside the US.  

Wordsmith
Tim40744
0 Kudos

Josienjoe wrote:

Tim40744 wrote:

Josienjoe wrote:

@ nomadz2,

Thanks for the info.  I'm not sure of all the legalities, but based on numerous threads on this subject, the fact that Amazon is an international company is instrumental to being able to sell outside the US.  

When the Kindle had US based Sprint on the original 3G only K2, it made the Kindle essentially a US only product. It was only when the AT&T version came out that it became international. Not having Wi-Fi until only fairly recently was definitely a problem.   

Frequent Contributor
zippyap
0 Kudos

I live outside of the USA, but use a proxy IP address. You can google them. There are some pretty good free ones. I'd give you the name of the one I use, but I got a nasty letter from admin once when I posted it here. I found it through one of those forums for ebook users.

Anyways, I just use the proxy and I'm able to purchase anything I want from BN with my US-based credit card.

It's actually easier than getting someone stateside to buy books for me. That way I can get my book at 3:00am when I can't sleep, and I MUST start reading a new book :smileyhappy:

Main suggestion: DON'T pay for the proxy service. There are free services out there.

Distinguished Correspondent
SlaughterS
0 Kudos

B&N is not your only source for ebooks.

Buy your books from another source and then side load them on your nook

(Hmmm... I wonder if you can still check out library books if you are outside US)

This is the Internet. I'm not going to let my complete lack of actual knowledge stop me from giving my opinion....
Frequent Contributor
zippyap
0 Kudos

Re Library books. Yes, my NC library card is good for outside US, without having to use a proxy. So far, they don't care where in the world you are.

Frequent Contributor
Tropicseed
0 Kudos

zippyap wrote:

I live outside of the USA, but use a proxy IP address. You can google them. There are some pretty good free ones.

I too live outside the USA. This "proxy IP" is also known as VPN, Virtual Private Network. I use VPN Reactor, they have a good free service, it's limited but fine for ebooks. They also do paid service if you need more bandwidth.

FYI, these services work by allowing you to set up a private, encrypted, connection to their server. You then appear to the rest of the world to be physically located wherever their server is. So if you sign up for this, make sure that the server is in the USA!

VPN is also v useful for use in a public place, eg the free WiFi at many cafes as no-one can eavesdrop on your connection.

I would recommend using a service (like VPN Reactor) that does not require you to download any software. Windows and linux (and I assume Mac) come with VPN capability, you should not have to download the vendor's own program.

patrick

Contributor
pkathy98
0 Kudos

I live in Baja, Mexico in the winter.  I order/buy gift cards from B&N and have them sent to me with my forwarded mail.  I then register them in my account and can purchase books online using them.  I have not tried just having the gift card electronically sent to my account - I have only gotten the physical cards.  

Distinguished Wordsmith
Josienjoe
0 Kudos

pkathy98 wrote:

I live in Baja, Mexico in the winter.  I order/buy gift cards from B&N and have them sent to me with my forwarded mail.  I then register them in my account and can purchase books online using them.  I have not tried just having the gift card electronically sent to my account - I have only gotten the physical cards.  

Are you talking about DTBs?  I cannot purchase ebooks while outside of the US even with a physical gift card registered on my US account.

Frequent Contributor
zippyap
0 Kudos

@Tropic. Thanks. You said it very clearly, like you really know what you're talking about:smileyhappy:. I couldn't be happier with the VPN method. I'm outside of the US for most of the year, and would recommend this way to all e-book readers who want to use a Nook instead of Kindle.

k-n
New User
k-n
0 Kudos

Yes, you can buy books from outside the US.  My daughter lived in Austria for two years.  We sent her a Nook soon after she moved there.  Nook told us that they did not work outside the US, but we decided to try anyway.

First you have to use US dollars to buy the books via barnesandnoble.com.  So it will only work if you have a US based credit card or have someone state-side purchase B&N gift cards for you. All you need is the gift card numbers.  You don't actually have to have the cards in hard.  Just have a friend buy the gift cards and email you the numbers.  

Using a computer, apply the gift card numbers to your B & N account (or use your US credit card).  Then purchase the books using your on-line B&N account, down load to your computer, then up load from the computer to your Nook. 

Not as quick as it is stateside, but very fast.  My daughter usually down loaded several books at a time.  The whole process just took a few minutes.