Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Reader
knoxjon
0 Kudos

Can't get it to mount or recognise sd card

I just got my Nook a few days ago. At the time, I could get it to mount just find on my computer (winXP), but when I tried it this weekend, it will no longer mount. The Nook still says that it's mounted, but the computer won't recognize it. After I realized this (I've read all FAQs and have rebooted, etc), I tried inserting a microsd card, but it won't mount on the computer, either, and the nook doesn't recognize it internally on the settings page.

Help? Everything else works fine.

B&N Bookseller
RedRapier
0 Kudos

Re: Can't get it to mount or recognise sd card

did you turn the device off to install the card, then power on?

my life is a Soap Opera, and I want a new head writer!
Inspired Wordsmith
LM44
0 Kudos

When you insert the card in your nook make

sure it's seated properly and when you close the

metal cover make sure you slide it down to

lock in place. Be sure to power off the nook

before doing this.

Reader
knoxjon
0 Kudos

It's properly sealed, but now I have taken it out to isolate the issues. I have tried restarting the comptuer, I have plugged the nook in before and after restarting. And I can't eject, obviously, because the computer won't recognize it at all. And again, it did a few days ago.

Contributor
hrosvit
0 Kudos

My two-week old Nook started acting strangely when I added an SD card a few days ago, too. I could load books onto the card, using either Windows Explorer or Calibre, and they showed up under both Explorer and Calibre after they were loaded. But when I unplugged the Nook, it gave me the "searching for new content" message, and just stayed there. For like 20 minutes. And then when I cancelled the search, there were no books in my "My documents" section. But then when I plugged it back into the computer, they were visible under Explorer or Calibre. The card is formatted Fat32, and I re-formatted it and re-tried loading it four or five times. Finally, I did a hard reset, and then all my books showed up. Since then, it has worked as it is supposed to about 80% of the time. But, every once in a while, when I load books, it hangs up while searching, and then shows no books again. Every time this occurs, a hard reset solves it. Why? I have no idea. It concerns me a bit, but as long as I can get it to work, I guess I'm okay.
"Fearlessly the idiot faced the crowd, smiling."
Inspired Wordsmith
LM44
0 Kudos

knoxjon wrote:

It's properly sealed, but now I have taken it out to isolate the issues. I have tried restarting the comptuer, I have plugged the nook in before and after restarting. And I can't eject, obviously, because the computer won't recognize it at all. And again, it did a few days ago.

You took it out to isolate issues. I'm assuming you hooked it up direct to your pc using a card reader.

And you still have same poblem?  It sounds like the card was corrupted. You may have to re-format the card. I would just call CS and have them isolate the problem.

Correspondent
Rasyr
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

1) Make sure your nook is properly charged. If the charge is too low, it can sometimes make wierd things happen.

2) Try turning both the computer and the nook completely off, waiting about 30 seconds, and then restarting both (note: this is after making sure the nook is completely charged).

3) As others have said, make sure the nook is completely off before trying to insert the microSD card as well.

--------------------------------------------------------

Also, I have seen USB devices (like an external HD) that refuse to be recognized until you also remove the power from them.

So, maybe trying to plug it in while the battery is out, turning it on, and then re-installing the battery (do a search for this method first -- I am not sure I have the details right on how to properly do it).

Usually, such problems result from it being improperly disconnected and even rebooting the computer didn't help until I removed power from the USB hard drive.

Tim Dugger
TANSTAAFL
Reader
knoxjon
0 Kudos

Ok, I got my hands on a friend's computer and tried plugging it in there. It worked fine. So I turned it off, etc, and inserted the sd card and restarted and remounted the nook, and the other computer can see the sd card and now the nook can, too. Except that the nook thinks the internal memory and sd card are 99% full. And my computer still can't see either.

Inspired Wordsmith
LM44
0 Kudos

knoxjon wrote:

Ok, I got my hands on a friend's computer and tried plugging it in there. It worked fine. So I turned it off, etc, and inserted the sd card and restarted and remounted the nook, and the other computer can see the sd card and now the nook can, too. Except that the nook thinks the internal memory and sd card are 99% full. And my computer still can't see either.

Your best bet is to call Customer support:

1-800-THE-BOOK (1-800-843-2665), option 2 for Digital Support

Distinguished Bibliophile
ABthree
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

knoxjon wrote:

No, when Nook shows Internal Memory and your microSD card on the Settings page at "99%", it's telling you that they're 99% available, not 99% full.  The title of that section of the page is "AVAILABLE Memory".

It would indicate 99% full by showing "1%" ... and that WOULD be a problem! :smileywink:

+LORD, preserve the good in their goodness, and+
+in your kindness, make the wicked become good.+
-- St. Basil the Great+
Reader
knoxjon
0 Kudos

Well, that's good to know. I missed that looking through the faqs, etc. Thanks.

Distinguished Bibliophile
ABthree

knoxjon wrote:

Well, that's good to know. I missed that looking through the faqs, etc. Thanks.

Glad to help take a load off your mind.  You're not the first to read it that way. :smileyhappy:

+LORD, preserve the good in their goodness, and+
+in your kindness, make the wicked become good.+
-- St. Basil the Great+