Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

New User
grandmabell06
0 Kudos

Can the Nook read to you?

Does the Nook have the capability to read to you thru headphones? My sister has a Kindle and she can take walks while the Kindle reads to her.  I would love to be able to do that also.

Inspired Wordsmith
Theriot_Publishing
0 Kudos

Re: Can the Nook read to you?

[ Edited ]

No, it cannot read to your traditional books.

I believe the kindle can't do this either since computer generated audio books was deemed infringement of copyright against their offering of paid audio books.

Some books, specifically kids books, do feature a 'read to me' option.  This is like an audio book embedded within the kids book.

It is custom recorded  and not text-to-speech.

Edit Clarification:  Kindle can do read-to-me via text to speech IF the copyright owner authorizes it.

Apparently, Amazon won't fight the publishing industry on the issue of whether the Kindle 2's text-to-speech function violates copyright.

The retailer, which makes the popular Kindle electronic-book reader, announced late Friday that the company is modifying systems to allow authors and publishers to decide whether to enable Kindle's text-to-speech function on a per-title basis.

Amazon began its press release with tough talk. "Kindle 2's experimental text-to-speech feature is legal," Amazon wrote. "No copy is made, no derivative work is created, and no performance is being given."

But then the company says: "We strongly believe many rights holders will be more comfortable with the text-to-speech feature if they are in the driver's seat."

There is no mistaking what happened here. Amazon caved. For Kindle owners interested in the text-to-speech feature, the device just lost value.

Behold the Glory and Grace of the Flying Spaghetti Monster. Let His noodly appendage touch you. Swallow the sauce for it is the blood of innocent tomatoes. So sayeth the FSM. Pasta for Peace!
Wordsmith
KingAl
0 Kudos

I think over half of Kindle books have TTS enabled since it is enabled by default (publishers have to specifically block it.)

That being said, many people find the computer generated voice annoying.

Inspired Contributor
skinny12
0 Kudos

Will text to speech be in a future software update? I would like to use something like that while I am at work. It gets tiring listening to news talk all day. 

Nallia
Topics: 125
Kudos: 3,236
0 Kudos

skinny12 wrote:

Will text to speech be in a future software update? I would like to use something like that while I am at work. It gets tiring listening to news talk all day. 

No one knows.  At least, no one here.  B&N doesn't tell us wha will be in software updates until they are released.

Inspired Scribe
geatdanemomDT
0 Kudos

You can download books through overdrive, that are offered in the mp3 format. Overdrive has directions posted on the site. I use head phones and they played fine, as in not to bad, just the tiniest bit worbly.

http://quiltinharmony.blogspot.com/
1 Nook 3G/Wi/Fi
Nook Color stock
Nook Color / N2A