Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

New User
sum41gurl0418
0 Kudos

Cannot download my purchased nookbooks

I got a nook yesterday for christmas and purchased two books off b&n.com. They show up in my library on my nook but it says I have to download the book. They will not download though, the highest its got to is 83% then it just randomly reset to 6% and started the whole process over, and it took about an hr and a half to get to 83%. Any way I can actually get my book to download to it? My husband has an ipod touch and the books showed up instantly on there with the nook app but no luck on my nook itself.

Inspired Wordsmith
donc13
0 Kudos

Re: Cannot download my purchased nookbooks

sum41gurl0418 wrote:

I got a nook yesterday for christmas and purchased two books off b&n.com. They show up in my library on my nook but it says I have to download the book. They will not download though, the highest its got to is 83% then it just randomly reset to 6% and started the whole process over, and it took about an hr and a half to get to 83%. Any way I can actually get my book to download to it? My husband has an ipod touch and the books showed up instantly on there with the nook app but no luck on my nook itself.

Try again....it seems that perhaps B&N's servers were overloaded recently from all the new nooks out there.   

---------
Don
New User
My_Id
0 Kudos

You are not alone and it is more than bad PR for B & N especially after the last debacle.  One would think they might have had the forethought to maybe lease a server farm in preparation for the big season.  I am on day 3 of trying to download and just like you it gets close to finishing and either sleeps and doesn't finish or goes from 70% back to its popular 7%. 

New User
sprint91
0 Kudos

I too purchased a nook and I can not get past the "Your book has been queued and will complete shortly".  Any word on what the problem is and when it will be resolved?

New User
My_Id
0 Kudos

The deafening silence is what is going to bite B & N, some of the tech blogs are already calling this another big Fail, I concur.  I've not seen a confirmation that there is an issue much less an update and unless you have a land-line or unlimited cell plan, phoning CS is right out due to the wait time.   

New User
cinditonk
0 Kudos

I tried to download on my new nookcolor that I got for Christmas also.  I also have the nook classic.  They downloaded today, but yesterday, after going online to check, Barnes and Noble was shut down for maintenance.  Your books should be downloaded today.

New User
Goodwin
0 Kudos

Purchased two books yesterday, and still not able to read them on the Android Nook app.  Customer Support is unreachable and isn't answering email either.  My wife's Kindle is working fine and she's already finished one of her new Christmas e-books.

New User
SLC13
0 Kudos

I am also having problems downloading books from the public library.  It does not show up in ADE.

Distinguished Scribe
Ya_Ya
0 Kudos

SLC13 wrote:

I am also having problems downloading books from the public library.  It does not show up in ADE.

This is ADE's problem or your PC's problem, not B&N's.

You are downloading your library books to your PC by clicking "Open" in the dialog box, right?

Then, when they open in ADE, you'll drag them to the picture of your NOOK that you see in ADE, while it's connected to your PC.

Distinguished Correspondent
AndyfromVA
0 Kudos

SLC13 wrote:

It's not hard to transfer a library book to your Nook, assuming you have ADE loaded on your PC.

On my PC (Vista) I have a folder called "Library".  When I download a library book, I put it in that folder.  Then I double click the book file in the "Library" folder and it will load into ADE.  I plug my Nook into the USB port and the ADE screen shows the Nook as a separate drive.  Then I simply drag the book file into my Nook.

Scribe
frantastk
0 Kudos

I'm not denying that B&N could have done something to improve their servers for the Christmas season, but please keep in mind that here on the east coast we were socked with a blizzard the day after Christmas. Their offices are in NY city (which was buried in snow and practically shut down) and I believe customer service is in NJ which, depending on exact location wasn't much better. I'd be surprised if many people could make it in to work at all the day or 2 after Christmas and I'm not sure how much they've been able to dig out by today.  The call center may have only had a few people there to answer phones, much less a full staffed tech support.  I'm near Philly and we were not expecting this storm. For a week they were predicting a few snow showers at most and then bam Christmas Eve they started predicting inches and by Christmas Day a blizzard was coming.

I know those of you in the midwest or New England or anyplace that routiely gets hit by this kind of weather is laughing, but storms like this aren't the norm here, unless you count last year where we got 3 storms in a row of about 3 feet each, 2 of them within a week of each other. Normal snowfall here in Philly (and NY and NJ are similar) is about 20 inches for the whole season (we were supposed to have an average snow season this year :smileywink:. ) Places in Jersey and NY got much more than that in this one storm.

Fran

P.S. Please excuse any typos, I don't think I fixed them all. I am currently on a junk laptop and I'm missing the 2 key, j key, m key, and my n and space bar are sticking. :smileyvery-happy:  Not to mention that my 3 year old has picked this precise moment to need some snuggle time.

Reader
k_train
0 Kudos

I've had the same problem since the 1.5 version upgrade.  What's happening is that the file is being corrupted somehow.  Until the geniuses in CS figure out a fix, you'll have to connect your Nook to your computer and download it the old-fashioned way.

Go to "My Library" on the B&N site.  Right click on the download button of the book you want to read, select "Save Target As."  Check out the file extension.  If it doesn't read ".ePub" change it manually, then save the file to your desktop.  Connect your Nook via the USB port.  Click on the Nook drive on your computer, then open the "MY Documents" envelope on the Nook.  Copy and paste the book file with the ePub extension into "MY Documents." 

Then, on the Nook itself, select "My Library."  Then select "Go to my documents."  You should be able to open it now.

Contributor
stevecb0
0 Kudos

still don't get why my nook will download at freind's home on wifi but not on my home wifi... must be my router, correct?

Distinguished Wordsmith
Josienjoe
0 Kudos

stevecb0 wrote:

still don't get why my nook will download at freind's home on wifi but not on my home wifi... must be my router, correct?

Not necessarily your router itself, but could be something about the way it's configured.  If you search these boards, you'll find information which may help you get it sorted out.

New User
mels75
0 Kudos

Thanks a ton i would have bought a ton of books without knowing at least i have an ipod touch to put the books on