Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Contributor
Nucksters
0 Kudos

Canuck help

Good day all.

After I spent months lusting after it, last Saturday I was finally able to buy a Nook (second hand on Kijiji) here in Canada. The unit is new and has never even been registered. Nook Support did confirm that for me. The problem is that according to Nook Support, I cannot register it  from Canada. I have to phisycally be in the US in order to complete the registration. Which would be ok if it only meant In the meantime I cannot purchase any books form B&N.

However, Nook Support told me I cannot use my Nook AT ALL unless it is properly registered, so I cannot copy my library downloads from my (laptop's) ADE to Nook, nor transfer other ebooks that I purchased and are stored in my laptop.

In your esteemed opinion and experience, is this true?

Great forum this one, I already found a number of tips/links/ideas/support that will come in very handy once I actually get my Nook to work!

Thanks in advance for your help. 

Distinguished Bibliophile
ABthree
0 Kudos

Re: Canuck help

@Nucksters

Welcome!  :smileyhappy:

No, that is not true.  In fact, a standard recommendation around here for people who want their kids to have Nooks but not allow them to browse and purchase books (don't ask! :smileyvery-happy:) is to give them pre-loaded, unregistered Nooks.  Perfect for reading, no communication with B&N.

You should have no trouble sideloading your books on your laptop ADE to My Documents in your Nook, as long as your Nook is authorized for ADE.  You should be prompted for that automatically as soon your Nook is connected to your computer and ADE detects it.  If any problems arise with that, post back or do a search -- there are plenty of helpful posts.

+LORD, preserve the good in their goodness, and+
+in your kindness, make the wicked become good.+
-- St. Basil the Great+
Contributor
Nucksters
0 Kudos

Thank you so very much for your help. You made me a happy gal. I was not particularly eager to trot down to Niagara Falls this week-end just to hook-up to a US Wi-Fi hotspot!

Considering that the primary reason of my getting the Nook is the ability to download Library Books, I was very disappointed at this turn of events.

I did authorize my Nook though ADE and it all went without a hitch. However, I made the mistake of D/D the files from the laptop to (Nook's) MyDocuments from an Explorer window instead of doing it from ADE (last night I had not yet discovered the treasure trove of info contained in this Forum :robotsurprised:).

Tonight when I get home I will indeed load the Epubs properly through ADE and hopefully I will be off to the races.

Thanks again for all your help, I am in your debt.

Distinguished Bibliophile
ABthree
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

@Nucksters

Always happy to strike a blow for North American Solidarity!  :smileyvery-happy::smileyvery-happy::smileyvery-happy:

BTW, you weren't totally wrong to try using drag-and-drop.  You can drag and drop books without DRM -- like books from ManyBooks, Project Gutenberg, etc. -- to your Nook without any problem.  ADE not required for those.

+LORD, preserve the good in their goodness, and+
+in your kindness, make the wicked become good.+
-- St. Basil the Great+
Doug_Pardee
Kudos: 4,013
0 Kudos

Nucksters wrote:

Nook Support told me I cannot use my Nook AT ALL unless it is properly registered, so I cannot copy my library downloads from my (laptop's) ADE to Nook, nor transfer other ebooks that I purchased and are stored in my laptop.

This is true for NOOKcolor. It is not true for NOOK 3G or NOOK Wi-Fi (with the E-Ink screens). They don't need to be registered.

NOOKcolor won't let you do anything until it's registered. On the other hand, you do not have to be in the US to register a NOOK of any kind. You do need to be connected to Wi-Fi.

Frequent Contributor
geertm

@Nucksters

I have sent you an PM.

Contributor
Nucksters
0 Kudos

Thanks to all of you who have replied to my queries. I have VERY good news: last night I was able to successfully load my public library EPUBS to my Nook through ADE!. And I also loaded my other ebooks. Yessss! I have my nook with me today at the office and I am happy as a clam.

@Doug: I do have Wi-Fi connection at home, but I am still unable to register. Been trying for 5 days now with no luck. I guess I will leave this for the next time I decide to go Buffalo and I can walk into a B&N store and have them do it. So far I have interacted with 2 different CSA's from B&N and neither one of them was able to help me with this problem, not to mention that they gave me the wrong info when it came to using the Nook with/without registration and loading library books.

@geertm: I don't know what a PM is...is that an email sent to my email address?

Thanks again all to all of you.

Doug_Pardee
Kudos: 4,013
0 Kudos

Nucksters wrote:

I don't know what a PM is...is that an email sent to my email address?

Private message. Click the envelope in the line underneath "B&N Community" up toward the top of this page.

Contributor
Nucksters
0 Kudos

@ Doug: Thanks, I got it. Boy, do I feel stupid. :smileywink: