Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Frequent Contributor
jaxmad13
0 Kudos

Certified Pre-owned

I am going back to return my Nook Wi-Fi and get the Nook Wi-Fi & 3G because I have decided that I want to be able to download wherever I am and not have to worry about finding a Wi-Fi hot spot.

I have seen on the website that they have a Certified Pre-owned one for $139.00.  Would you purchase this or would you rather have a brand new one.  I also wonder if you can get an extended warranty on a certified pre-owned Nook.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Inspired Correspondent
CyborgQueen
0 Kudos

Re: Certified Pre-owned

jaxmad13 wrote:

I am going back to return my Nook Wi-Fi and get the Nook Wi-Fi & 3G because I have decided that I want to be able to download wherever I am and not have to worry about finding a Wi-Fi hot spot.

I have seen on the website that they have a Certified Pre-owned one for $139.00.  Would you purchase this or would you rather have a brand new one.  I also wonder if you can get an extended warranty on a certified pre-owned Nook.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Personally, a Certified pre-owned one is just as good as new. It's like buying a Certified Toyota. Cheaper, has a few hundred miles, but still good as new.  Better certified than "used". 

So, if I had a choice, I would just get the Certified one, and get a warranty on it.  But...that's MY opinion. :-P

Distinguished Scribe
Ya_Ya
0 Kudos

CyborgQueen wrote:

So, if I had a choice, I would just get the Certified one, and get a warranty on it.  But...that's MY opinion. :-P

I agree, *if* you can get the warranty.  

Assuming you can, you'll come in below the price of a new device with the CPO and warranty...

Inspired Wordsmith
gstone
0 Kudos

I purchased a new Nook 3G\Wi-Fi. I had to get a warranty replacement and its "pre-owned". It works fine and looks brand new.

If "pre-owned" units were available when I first bought a Nook I would have bought one of those. I don't have reservations about buying recertified units from most companies. I don't normally get them because they are out of stock by the time I find them.

The car I have now was basically "pre-owned". It was a demo and then used by a salesman as a perk before being put up for sale. It came with the manufacturers' standard warranty. It was several thousand dollars cheaper than a new car of the same model. It's required no unusual maintenance. It's 19 years old now. In one year I can get an antique license plate for it.:smileyhappy:

AlanNJ
Topics: 64
Kudos: 1,518
0 Kudos

I would not hesitate to purchase a CPO Nook.  If you're saving enough on the initial product why spend extra and purhase the warranty though?  I didn't even purchase the warranty on my Nook when I purchased it new.  Quite honestly I don't expect to have it longer than 2 years anyway since I figure a newer better product will most likely come out by then.  All I have to do is make sure my Nook lasts that long and I'm ahead of the game.   Obviously unexpected things can happen but......

►Without order there is chaos◄
Wordsmith
shilohMD
0 Kudos

Ya_Ya wrote:

CyborgQueen wrote:

Also, please note that, if you use an AMEX card to purchase, you get an automatic doubling of the seller's warranty, up to another year -- at no cost.

I agree, *if* you can get the warranty.  

Assuming you can, you'll come in below the price of a new device with the CPO and warranty...

"A bookstore is one of the only pieces of evidence we have that people are still thinking" [Jerry Seinfeld]
Contributor
Crisanja_Dawn
0 Kudos

The Nook I bought is a CPO. It looks new, it has behave perfectly for me and I was able to get a square trade warranty on it, and you can also get the 2 year protection plan from B&N if you wish, its one of the options when you order it. I say go for it, it saves you money and its just as good as a new one.

"Liberty is often a heavy burden on a man. It involves that necessity for perpetual choice which is the kind of labor men have always dreaded."
Distinguished Correspondent
MegSLP
0 Kudos

My current NOOK (I'm on my second due to the first one being stolen) is a CPO.  I have had absolutely no issues with it.  It looks and acts brand new. 

Frequent Contributor
jaxmad13
0 Kudos

Thanks for all of your help.  I returned my Nook Wi-Fi and ordered the CPO Nook Wi-Fi 3G this morning.  I'm really excited because I got it cheaper then the Nook Wi-Fi and now I can buy the Oberon cover that I want.

It is my understanding that I don't have to be at a wi-fi hotspot to download books; that I should be able to get wi-fi whenever I want to.  Is this correct because the main reason I got the 3G is because I want to be able to access wherever I am.

Thanks again.

Distinguished Scribe
RSC_Nook
0 Kudos

wow, you guys got me ALL excited to possibly run out and get a SECOND wi fi nook for my wife for her birthday (she has this bad habit of stealing mine each evening...  ha ha).  THEN I look and see they are all sold out.  ugh....

I could get the one with the 3g but honestly it is really not a feature we will ever need.  don't travel that much and if we did we would load it up before anyways.  I know the 3g is still les than the new wi fi only, but would of loved to be able to get the PCO wi fi only for $119.

do you know if the wi fis are ever in stock and I should keep checking or it is just the 3g's mainly?

Distinguished Scribe
Ya_Ya
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

RSC_Nook wrote:

do you know if the wi fis are ever in stock and I should keep checking or it is just the 3g's mainly?

Check B&N's ebay seller.  They had Wifis yesterday, even though B&N said they were sold out.

Inspired Wordsmith
gstone
0 Kudos

@RSC_Nook

I think what you are seeing is that since B&N released the Wi-Fi only version there is not that much demand for the 3G version. I suspect Amazon is finding the same thing with the Kindle.

I purchased the 3G model for my mother. She wasn't able to adjust to an eReader so I wound up with it.

Inspired Wordsmith
donc13
0 Kudos

jaxmad13 wrote:

Thanks for all of your help.  I returned my Nook Wi-Fi and ordered the CPO Nook Wi-Fi 3G this morning.  I'm really excited because I got it cheaper then the Nook Wi-Fi and now I can buy the Oberon cover that I want.

It is my understanding that I don't have to be at a wi-fi hotspot to download books; that I should be able to get wi-fi whenever I want to.  Is this correct because the main reason I got the 3G is because I want to be able to access wherever I am.

Thanks again.

Yes, with 3g you can shop and download books from anywhere there is an AT&T 3G signal, which is almost anywhere within the US.

You can not broswe the web nor download LARGE books (I don't know what the limit is, but I'd guess that 99% of the books can be downloaded over 3G).via 3G, but can via WiFi

---------
Don
Contributor
WonderWmn
0 Kudos

I bought my CPO 3G/wifi Nook right before Thanksgiving on buy.com. The Nook was $119 and I also purchased a warranty. I have no qualms buying anything CPO. It's the same item as the new unused one but cost a lot less. I have had no problems with mine at all.
Distinguished Scribe
RSC_Nook
0 Kudos

there are some wi-fi only ones on ebay (through barnes and noble).  great recommendation!