Contributor
CorporateOffRoader
0 Kudos

Child Account for Nook

I am thinking of getting my 10 year old daughter a nook for christmas, how do I set up a B&N account using gift cards rather than leaving my ccd# on her account?

You can do that with iTunes, not sure of how to do it here.

Any ideas?

Bibliophile
Jenniisme
0 Kudos

Re: Child Account for Nook

You can't. there has to be an actual credit card on file to unlock the DRM of the book. What you can do is maybe open a small account for her and put the visa debit as the main card.

That's what I plan to do for my niece's.

Contributor
nookseller
0 Kudos

The new update for Nook, coming in November, will have password protection for buying books, so your daughter will have to get your permission to buy a book, and have you type in the password. That should solve your problem.

Frequent Contributor
TheAntiChick
0 Kudos

My child's a bit older (13), but the way I set it up is that my bank offers a pre-paid Visa card for pre-teens and teens.  I set her up an account using her pre-paid Visa card (it apparently reads as a regular card to processors.)  And then showed her how to load in her gift cards (she's such a bibilophile people rarely get her anything but).

Distinguished Bibliophile
RHWright
0 Kudos

@TheAnitChick-

Thanks for the idea about the bank-issued pre-paid debit cards. I've been thinking about getting my 15-year-old-daughter a NOOK, but had worried about the whole payment thing, since she lives most of the time with her mom.

I'll see if my bank offers them.

Inspired Wordsmith
icebike
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

nookseller wrote:

The new update for Nook, coming in November, will have password protection for buying books, so your daughter will have to get your permission to buy a book, and have you type in the password. That should solve your problem.

Do you know this, or are you speculating?

Password protection was announced, but it was not specific to buying.

You have just stepped AHEAD of the corporate announcement. Expect Rod Serling to step out and say a few words any moment now.

Contributor
Aknaack5
0 Kudos

I am getting a nook for my 11 year old and asked about having a credit card attached to the account and was told that a pre-paid Visa/Mastercard will work. I plan on using the prepaid cards for his account (and his older brother's nook).

Distinguished Correspondent
very-simple
0 Kudos

I assumed password protection would be similar to a cellphone - as in, if the device goes to sleep, you need to enter a password to wake it up.  This prevents 3rd parties from "getting in" to your device (kids, thieves, etc.), but it's not going to prevent someone from shopping on the device once they're logged in.  

Bibliophile
bklvr896
0 Kudos

very-simple wrote:

I assumed password protection would be similar to a cellphone - as in, if the device goes to sleep, you need to enter a password to wake it up.  This prevents 3rd parties from "getting in" to your device (kids, thieves, etc.), but it's not going to prevent someone from shopping on the device once they're logged in.  

Well, I certainly hope if that is how it going to work that it's an optional system, I have no desire to have to input a password every time my Nook goes to sleep.  I don't on my cell phone.

very-simple
0 Kudos

bklvr896 wrote:

Well, I certainly hope if that is how it going to work that it's an optional system, I have no desire to have to input a password every time my Nook goes to sleep.  I don't on my cell phone.

Oh, i totally agree - I keep the password option off on my iphone most of the time because I find it too annoying.  But I'm working on an assumption that B&N is not going to reinvent the wheel as far as device-based password protection, and that it'll work (in principle) the same way as a cellphone.  

Contributor
CorporateOffRoader
0 Kudos

I hadn't thought about the prepaid visa card, that may be one way to go.  Can I have to accounts with the same credit card number?

Contributor
scoozi
0 Kudos

CorporateOffRoader wrote:

I hadn't thought about the prepaid visa card, that may be one way to go.  Can I have to accounts with the same credit card number?

Yes. We have 2 accounts, same credit card number. To differentiate them, the accounts are set up with different email addresses, but the same cc#.

AikiPen
0 Kudos

We have 3 nooks in the family with the same CC# but different accounts and e-mail addresses.

What I find interesting is that if all 3 of us go in and have a snack and do  some in-store reading on completely different books then we only get 20 minutes each before our in-store reading time has expired. If I go by myself I get my full hour. Weird.