Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

New User
andycarib
0 Kudos

Color Nook in the sun

Can you read the color nook or any nook in the bright sunlight?  This would be very important to me.

Correspondent
statomattic
0 Kudos

Re: Color Nook in the sun

If reading in bright sunlight is very important to you, the Nook you want is the original black-and-white model. The e-ink display looks fantastic in bright sunlight, just like a paperback at the beach.

I don't own a Nook Color. It has an LCD screen which will cause some glare. From what I've heard/read, B&N has done a good job of making the Nook Color surprisingly readable in sunlight if you adjust the display settings and/or use the anti-glare accessory they're selling for it, but your experience will suffer in direct sunlight somewhat no matter how you tweak the color.

If you're getting this primarily as a book reader, the original Nook is your better bet anyway. The color is better if you're going to be reading for short periods, getting a lot of magazines, using the Net with it, etc...

Wordsmith
jeanniepep
0 Kudos

Try posting this in the Nook Color message board, you'll find people who actually own one instead of Classic Nook owners just speculating.

I own a Nook Color and have actually tried reading it in bright sunlight, and it looks fine to me. I turn up the screen brightness a bit higher than indoors but have had no problem with glare.

New User
privateidaho
0 Kudos

nook is great in the sun.  nook color not so much.  if you  have polarized sunglasses, they make nook's screen black!!!!

New User
elepocket
0 Kudos

I DO have Nook color, and have been using it in sun, but can't wear shades and my eyes are killing me. Any suggestions? I'm about to see an eye doctor for an annual check-up and would like to get new prescription shades (bifocals) but know that I am truly limited. I'd love some advice from knowledgeable sources.

Inspired Bibliophile
Desert_Brat
0 Kudos

elepocket wrote:

I DO have Nook color, and have been using it in sun, but can't wear shades and my eyes are killing me. Any suggestions? I'm about to see an eye doctor for an annual check-up and would like to get new prescription shades (bifocals) but know that I am truly limited. I'd love some advice from knowledgeable sources.

I got a nice pair of bifocal sunglasses from hdreaders.com. The price was very reasonable and you could get two-for-one.

They are a brown/dark amber lens with a bifocal spot, with a variety of magnifications available.

You might also check your local pharmacy, grocery store and bookstore to see if they have a reading glasses display that includes bifocals with tinted lenses.

My only other suggestion would be to wear a larger hat (not a ball cap or one with a bill) and sit with your back to the sun so your shadow falls over the screen.

A lifelong reader, now may my life be long enough to catch up on my reading!
Distinguished Wordsmith
Josienjoe
0 Kudos

elepocket wrote:

The NookColor is not going to be as easy to use in the direct sunlight as the e-ink nook.  The best place to get suggestions about adjusting settings for reading in sunlight would be to post on the NookColor boards -

NookColor general discussion -

http://bookclubs.barnesandnoble.com/t5/NOOKcolor-General-Discussion/bd-p/NOOKcolorGeneralDiscussion

NookColor technical support -

http://bookclubs.barnesandnoble.com/t5/NOOKcolor-Technical-Support/bd-p/NOOKcolortechnicalsupport

New User
wrb57
0 Kudos

I am so disappointed.  I could not manage to read the Nook Color in the sun.  Having purchased mine in the fall, i worried about this throughout the winter. Now that good weather is here, I'm struggling with how I'm going to have those relaxing hours by the beach with a good "nook book" in hand.  There's got to be some solutions out there....anyone?

Distinguished Correspondent
AndyfromVA
0 Kudos

wrb57 wrote:

I am so disappointed.  I could not manage to read the Nook Color in the sun.  Having purchased mine in the fall, i worried about this throughout the winter. Now that good weather is here, I'm struggling with how I'm going to have those relaxing hours by the beach with a good "nook book" in hand.  There's got to be some solutions out there....anyone?

I suggest you look in the forum sections devoted to the NookColor.  This section is for the original Nook and the new Simple Touch Reader.

Scribe
Haleakala_LKB
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Wrier wrote:

I am so disappointed.  I could not manage to read the Nook Color in the sun.  Having purchased mine in the fall, I worried about this throughout the winter. Now that good weather is here, I'm struggling with how I'm going to have those relaxing hours by the beach with a good "nook book" in hand.  There's got to be some solutions out there....anyone?

As Andyfrom VA has said, you will get more help in the NOOK Color section. But I will tell you that from what little I have read of the NC is that with some sort of anti glare screen on it, people manage outdoors. 

I can also tell you that I have the original, classic NOOK WiFi (e-ink) and read it outdoors several days a week, including several vacations where I've read on the sunny beach and by the pool in mid afternoon. LOVE IT.

I'm not certain the NOOK Color was really meant to be easily readable outdoors.  

LisaB

Frequent Contributor
MikeNC
0 Kudos

There are some ways to make it a bit better (Amazon sells some attachable shades, or you can try an anti-glare screen cover) but the reality is that back-lit LCD screens are never going to be really ideal for outdoor reading (or even indoor under bright direct lighting).  It is just the nature of the display unfortunately.

Of course, conversely, an eInk display is great outdoors in sunlight, but does not work worth a darn indoors in a dark room - agian, just inherent in the display technology.

If you want to try an anti-glare screen (which really is only of very limited help), I've always been pleased with boxwave.com products.  Also, keep in mind that you cannot read an ISP LCD display (like the Nook Color's) while wearing polarized sunglasses.

Frequent Contributor
trisha48
0 Kudos

I can read on my NC in sunlight with no problem.

I put on an ANTI GLARE screen which i bought on ebay.

Works great! I can read on it with very minimal glare even in sunglight. I'll have to adjust the brightness up but I have no issues reading on it in the sun.

Of course it is not as good as reading on e-ink.

I suggest getting the anti glare screen (matted), it really reduces the glare tremendously!

Nallia
Topics: 125
Kudos: 3,238
0 Kudos

Yes, I can read mine in the sun by using the B&N anti-glare screen protector, changing the background on my ebooks to Night Mode, and turning the brightness all the way up.  It works fine in most situations, but there have still been a few times that it has been too bright.  I do have polarized sunglasses, but it seems that mine are polarized a bit differently than most.  Maybe it's because they're prescription?  Whatever the reason, I can still read my NC with them, but the vast majority of people can't unless the NC is in landscape (and you can't read ebooks in landscape).

All of these things work, and the NC works better outside than my phone and laptop, but I still vastly prefer e-ink for reading outside.

New User
0 Kudos

No, you can't read in the sun with the Color Nook.  When asked what I wanted for Christmas last year, I asked for the Amazon Kindle.  My husband, with all good intentions, thought that because the Nook was more expensive and was in color, it would be a better product.    I My husband knows that I love to read outside in the sun and when purchasing the Nook, asked the either uninformed or less than honest sales person about being able to read in the sun and was told that the Nook functioned well in the sun.  I took the Nook on vacation and absolutely COULD NOT read in the sun.

I plan on taking a vacation again soon and am going to have to go buy a Kindle.  I would NEVER recommend a Nook for anyone wanting to read outside and I believe that Barnes and Noble is being dishonest in marketing as a product that can be used in sunlight.  Buyer beware.

Distinguished Scribe
Ya_Ya

317 wrote:

I plan on taking a vacation again soon and am going to have to go buy a Kindle.  I would NEVER recommend a Nook for anyone wanting to read outside and I believe that Barnes and Noble is being dishonest in marketing as a product that can be used in sunlight.  Buyer beware.

If you want a Kindle, that's fine, but there is an eink NOOK which uses the exact same screen technology as the Kindle and is as readable in the sun as the Kindle.

Many people have reported that they are perfectly comfortable with NOOK Color's performance in the sun, so I don't believe B&N is lying, however I'm fairly certain that I would not find it satisfactory.

Before you make a decision, the eink NOOK might be worth your look - if only so that you can read all of the B&N books you've already purchased rather than having two separate libraries.

Wordsmith
gandalf1369
0 Kudos

317 wrote:

. . . .    I My husband knows that I love to read outside in the sun  . . . .

Personally, I think you have read TOO long outside in the sun  . . .

You write as if you are THE AUTHORITY on deciding if the NookColor is usable in the sun - I think not.  Reader of your message beware.

**** He Who Dies With The Most Toys Wins ****
Distinguished Bibliophile
Darkkin
0 Kudos

Backlit LCD screen + sunlight = When has this combination ever been easily discernible?  Answer: Never.

'Of wings and words and dancing milkweed seeds...'

Wordsmith
KingAl
0 Kudos

317 wrote:

I would NEVER recommend a Nook for anyone wanting to read outside and I believe that Barnes and Noble is being dishonest in marketing as a product that can be used in sunlight.  Buyer beware.

Just because you believe something doesn't make it true. The salesperson was simply incorrect (or assuming that you were going to use an anti-glare.)

Correspondent
Byteguy
0 Kudos

KingAl wrote:

317 wrote:

I would NEVER recommend a Nook for anyone wanting to read outside and I believe that Barnes and Noble is being dishonest in marketing as a product that can be used in sunlight.  Buyer beware.

Just because you believe something doesn't make it true. The salesperson was simply incorrect (or assuming that you were going to use an anti-glare.)

Or... her husband actually didn't ask or asked somthing like "can this be used outside" and is just too afraid of getting yelled at to tell the truth.  Heck, look how nicely she responded to a total stranger.

I would also suggest getting the Nook Simple Touch IF you want an e-reader.  The Simple Touch is not, in any way, a mini-tablet like the Color..  I read mine outside a lot.  But, I don't think 317 should get one. 

Reader
loupope
0 Kudos

I wish I had read this before I got my color nook or I would have just kept my black and white. I love to read and I love to be outside but I can't read my color nook outside with my prescription sunglasses on. I'm really upset about this.

Lou Pop