Distinguished Correspondent
SlaughterS

Comic book archive to EPUB converter

I just ran across a link to this software that,

"Converts CBR and CBZ archives in to EPUB for eBook readers. Automatically cleans and crops the comic pages so that they display well on eBook readers...."

http://sourceforge.net/projects/comictoepub/

I'm going to give it a try when I get home.  Anyone else tried it yet ?

This is the Internet. I'm not going to let my complete lack of actual knowledge stop me from giving my opinion....
Frequent Contributor
tirofiban
0 Kudos

Re: Comic book archive to EPUB converter

Good luck! I have a feeling the Nook screen won't be a good fit for converted CBR files though. Let us know what you discover.

Contributor
harih
0 Kudos

I think the browser might be a better fit for comic books. You can move around if the picture is bigger than the screen and no need to resize the pic to fit the screen.

Distinguished Correspondent
SlaughterS
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

I downloaded and ran the software.

Over all it does a great job at reading the CBR and converting it to gray scale.

Where it fails in my opinion is that it simply does a re-size of the page image to fit the nooks dimensions.  I was hoping for a cropping operation that would resemble to same actions that CBR takes when an image is too big to fit the screen.

That way the image would not be re-sized to be too small to read the text

This is the Internet. I'm not going to let my complete lack of actual knowledge stop me from giving my opinion....
Contributor
Motoko-chan
0 Kudos

I've been using calibre. It's a bit more full-featured and can crop, normalize, adjust contrast, convert to grayscale, etc. I did some tests with a few archives I have of both comics and manga, and they came out very readable for me.

I have only had one glitch where conversion fails, but restarting the application and only running one document at a time for conversion seems to fix it.

New User
Pumapride
0 Kudos

Hi,

Thank goodness I found this post!

I just recently got a Nook and I'm loving all the things it can do. However, I'm have a very hard time getting my CBR/CBZ files to read on the nook. I tried using ComictoEpub and Calibre. And so far I haven't been able to get either to really make a display that's readable.

You said you had some success with Calibre? Can you please tell me what settings changes to make so that I can try to make a readable epub file for the nook?

Best,

Alfred

BN_AlexG
Topics: 68
Kudos: 527
0 Kudos